Huge fire rips through London tower block

XXL

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

170613233725-07-london-fire-super-tease.

Thirty people are in hospital and there are fears that more may be unaccounted for after a huge fire raged through the night at a west London tower block.

Firefighters are still tackling the blaze at Grenfell Tower in north Kensington, where hundreds of people are thought to live.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing people trapped inside their homes.

The BBC's Andy Moore said the whole 24-storey block had been alight and there were fears the building might collapse.

Omg was reading tweets earlier from a person watching the fire in person.  There were people stuck on the higher floors & screaming to be saved.:imsad:

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Omg was reading tweets earlier from a person watching the fire in person.  There were people stuck on the higher floors & screaming to be saved.:imsad:

Truly scary and awful :sadface:

How can a building burn that way? I mean, most of us live in tall buildings and whenever there's been a fire, even a gas explosion, there's been destruction in one or two levels, but the WHOLE building????? 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

How can a building burn that way? I mean, most of us live in tall buildings and whenever there's been a fire, even a gas explosion, there's been destruction in one or two levels, but the WHOLE building????? 

I read that a group of tenants had complained several times about the state of deterioration of the building and the risks of fire in recent years.

Awful. It looked like The Towering Inferno earlier. The place was refurbished last year but they're saying that the cladding put on the building helped the fire to spread so rapidly. Even worse, that the residents were told in the event of a fire to stay in their home and wait to be rescued as any fire would be contained to one floor. Anyone waiting in those upper floors would be toast!

Cladding to improve view. Wow. Typical stingy asshole landlord. How about a fucking sprinklers system, and throw several alarms too? This is mass murder.

Don't remember who exactly, was a French actor who once said "Not enough architects are killed" - kinda agree.

How many people have lost their lives in this sick tragedy thanks to some cheap fuck landlord and architect too?

Rest in peace to all the victims, these things piss me off along with upsetting me incredibly :(

My office is literally next to the building, I can't see us returning any time soon.  It's so awful to think that some of those people we'd see every day are no longer with us.  It's truly heartbreaking, I can't watch or read anything about it without shedding a tear.  

On 2017-6-14 at 4:18 PM, Kim said:

Awful. It looked like The Towering Inferno earlier. The place was refurbished last year but they're saying that the cladding put on the building helped the fire to spread so rapidly. Even worse, that the residents were told in the event of a fire to stay in their home and wait to be rescued as any fire would be contained to one floor. Anyone waiting in those upper floors would be toast!

OMG!

This is so tragic. Dozens and dozens of deaths are considered! People in their homes, regular people like us. 

How is responsible? Is it the major of the city or the county or the Governement? But somebody has to face responsibilities. Not only the contractor. 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

How is responsible? Is it the major of the city or the county or the Governement? But somebody has to face responsibilities. Not only the contractor.

The major of London is a pathetic useless prick that should just fuck off. And so are all government officials. All of them. All irresponsible fucking heartless bastards.

It is dreadful that this sub standard cladding was used in high rise buildings.  Utter contempt for the safety of the people that lived there.  The resulting fire is horrific and heart breaking. 

I'm not at all surprised by the growing ANGER about this whole thing. One of the richest boroughs in one of the richest cities in the world with pockets of social housing like this tomb in the sky where the poorest in society are herded into. I wouldn't be surprised if the the death toll reaches triple figures.

Here's disgusting and cowardly PM Theresa May sneaking out the side of a church after being criticised for refusing to actually go out and meet residents. RESIGN NOW.

On 14/06/2017 at 10:04 AM, nightcutter said:

That fire has devastated the building. It looks dreadful.  

It really does

How is it possible that something like this happens in London though?

I am seriously baffled

I mean, it's London not some third world capital of a military regime run country

Clearly the austerity crap plans peddled by most European leaders have shown to be an utter disaster

Two young Italian architets who had found work in London died too by the way

The last minute call to their parents in Northern Italy is harrowing :sadface: 

3 hours ago, Kim said:

I'm not at all surprised by the growing ANGER about this whole thing. One of the richest boroughs in one of the richest cities in the world with pockets of social housing like this tomb in the sky where the poorest in society are herded into. I wouldn't be surprised if the the death toll reaches triple figures.

Here's disgusting and cowardly PM Theresa May sneaking out the side of a church after being criticised for refusing to actually go out and meet residents. RESIGN NOW.

She's horrible

There are no words really

I think it's about time people open their eyes to what London really is. An overly expensive city offering very little in return if you are not prepared to pay big ££ for anything. First world capital? Bollocks. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-fire-latest-london-cladding-banned-us-flammable-a7792711.html

Grenfell Tower fire: Cladding used on block 'was banned in US'

Reports suggest it would have cost £5,000 extra for contractors to apply a fire-resistant version of panelling to tower block

Cladding believed to have been used on Grenfell Tower is banned in the US, it has emerged, amid revelations that it would have cost just £5,000 extra for the contractors to apply a fire-resistant version of panelling to the building. Speculation is growing about the construction of the tower after a blaze ripped through it "like a matchstick" in the early hours of Wednesday morning, killing at least 17 people died and injuring scores more. 

It has now emerged that the aluminium panels thought to have been added to the outside of the block as part of a £10 million refurbishment completed in May 2016 are banned in the US on buildings taller than 40 feet for fire safety reasons.

The PE panels conform to UK standards but are rated as “flammable” in Germany, which places them in the same category as “unprotected wood with a thickness of no more than 12mm”. It came after The Independent learnt that thousands of homes in tower blocks across the UK are to undergo urgent safety reviewsamid concerns that exterior cladding commonly used on such buildings could have led to the horrific speed at which the flames spread.

Thousands of homes in tower blocks across the UK will have urgent safety reviews following anger among residents who said they had sounded the alarm over issues at Grenfell Tower dating back several years.

:bad: 

When government officials are not prepared to put up the money to ensure the safety of residents living in a tower block for example, how can you expect any decent quality of life?

How many people living in similar residential tower blocks across the country, properties built with similar cheap fucking materials are shitting themselves now?

41 minutes ago, XXL said:

She's right, and I'm really noticing more and more the appalling right wing media bias going on, especially since the election fair reporting restrictions were recently lifted, allowing things to go back to exactly how they were before (those restrictions helped Jeremy Corbyn immeasurably as the usual hack jobs weren't so obvious)

It is ridiculous how the media is institutionally incapable of reacting to the political spectrum shift going on. But people are seeing through it.

This guy has it spot on...

And here's a list of the Tory slug MPs (and landlords)who voted AGAINST a bill making homes FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION last year...

DCV_D-GXkAARH_B.jpg

3 hours ago, Kim said:

She's right, and I'm really noticing more and more the appalling right wing media bias going on, especially since the election fair reporting restrictions were recently lifted, allowing things to go back to exactly how they were before (those restrictions helped Jeremy Corbyn immeasurably as the usual hack jobs weren't so obvious)

It is ridiculous how the media is institutionally incapable of reacting to the political spectrum shift going on. But people are seeing through it.

This guy has it spot on...

And here's a list of the Tory slug MPs (and landlords)who voted AGAINST a bill making homes FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION last year...

DCV_D-GXkAARH_B.jpg

Truly sickening :thumbsdown:

List of shame