BREXIT / British Politics thread - cont

XXL

41 minutes ago, XXL said:

UK's third largest party 'will back second Brexit vote' Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon has said that her party would undouctedly support a second referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union, if the matter was taken to a vote in the house of Commons. She suggested, however, that the Scottish National party would seek a guarantee that Scotland would not be forced to accept the terms of any Brexit deal if the country once again voted to remain in contract to the rest of the UK.

Speaking on the 's Andrew Marr show, Sturgeon said: "Our bottom line is membership of the single market and the customs union. I cannot envisage the SNP MPs voting for something that doesn't contain that. Don't forget Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU." Her comments came as up to a hundred thousand people marched through Edinburgh on Saturday calling for Scottish independence. It's one of a number of recent events, organised by the pressure group All Under One Banner, which have been taking place across the country. The marches coincide with the start of the SNPs annual conference in Glasgow. The renewed calls for independence will be encouraging for the SNP, although Sturgeon feels that these are driven by confusion over Brexit.

“I will set out what I think the next steps are when we are at the end of this phase of negotiations,” Sturgeon told Marr. “The future EU-UK relationship is the context in which Scotland would decide that question of independence, so it will shape some of the answers to questions people have." The SNP is the third largest party in Westminster and as such would have significant sway in any knife-edge vote on a second referendum or final Brexit deal.

Well she's in a tricky situation because if there's one thing that might tip the balance in favour of independence, it's a disastrous Brexit. If we end up somehow being allowed to stay in the customs union and single market then independence becomes less of an issue for a lot of undecided people.

The (good) problem with the SNP is that they do such a good job of protecting Scots from some of the most disastrous austerity policies from Westminister, and are so much better at running public services, that a lot of people have no idea how bad it could REALLY be and how bad many down south have it. 

The Labour party (red tories) in Scotland is DEAD and no amount of bull from old Jeremy is gonna change that, so he's even less likely to get into govt. Just let all the countries of the Disunited Kingdom go their own way and get it over with. 

8 hours ago, Magician said:

:lol:

🤣 Sounds like my old granny. Maggie hated Scotland, hated communities, hated the working class, hated manufacturing industries, hated trade unions, hated other women, hated humanity and compassion... and every decent Scot hated her!

On 10/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, Kim said:

Of course the press are all over what a triumph this is because Treeza actually managed to get through a speech for once without something calamitous happening. Politics really is in the pits when this old crow being told to dance by her advisers because it makes her look more "human" is the talk of the day :rolleyes:

It is honestly so embarrassing. I hate to think what the impression of our country is abroad 😩

Except Corbyn has NO plan on Brexit either and continues to slide in the polls. Quite an achievement when we're currently living through the most inept and shambolic govt. in living memory.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:02 PM, Kim said:

If we end up somehow being allowed to stay in the customs union and single market then independence becomes less of an issue for a lot of undecided people.

I'm not so sure about that. If the UK stayed in the customs union and single market it would make independence much easier, I reckon. The prospect of a hard border between Scotland and Thatchland will put a lot of waverers off.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:02 PM, Kim said:

The Labour party (red tories) in Scotland is DEAD and no amount of bull from old Jeremy is gonna change that

They're not dead enough, sadly, and seem to be making a bit of a comeback in the their old heartlands (at council level at least). I really thought we'd seen the back of them for a couple of decades after the 2015 election, but they really are a stubborn bunch to get rid of.

Old article but still relevant.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/adam-ramsay-mary-fitzgerald/why-is-northern-ireland-office-protecting-dups-dirty-little

The Government is protecting the DUP and their dark money because they will have to pay it back if they can't confirm its origin, they don't have that sort of money so will go under. Maybot 2.0 needs them to keep her job. Sod the law, morality and ethics.

It's also interesting that Aaron Banks, co-founder of the Leave.EU campaign has been reported to the National Crime Agency for alleged offences committed at the 2016 EU referendum.

The Home office says EU citizens will have to prove their right to work in the UK after March next year - but it's 5 months away and the registration process has not been rolled out. We're definately on course for another Home Office scandal on the scale of Windrush if not bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Brexiteers are claiming that the proposed deal will mean we will lose our sovereign control over making our laws.... remember that sovereignty they told us that we didn't have? Yes that's the one we actually DID have but that we lose by leaving the EU. Aint THAT ironic?

Apparently the deal looks like the North of Ireland can operate in the British single market and the European single market, making it unique and in a brilliant position as it could trade with the EU and UK, it could potentially bring lots of jobs and money to the North and is a good compromise for everyone, no troops on the border.

As this deal would please a lot of people the DUP are naturally against it, the DUP want to be treated the same as the UK so they are pissed, funnily enough the DUP don't want a legalization on equal marriage or on abortion laws like the EU but then again that's what happens when you're a pack of entitled rotten cunts who trade in misery. 

The deal is not popular at all, and I can definitely understand why, but personally it doesn’t seem to me like any of the alternatives proposed are actually realistically possible. 

Also, with the government loosing ministers left and right, will Theresa May even still be prime minister by the end of this year? This month? This week? Today? I am not exactly happy about Brexit, but things there sure are fun to watch.

Can a zone from a country be part of the single market and benefit for it without the whole country compromising on the main freedoms of the EU? 

I wonder what Norway and Iceland have to say about it?

Something tells me May is not speaking about the big fat invoice that will come with it? 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Can a zone from a country be part of the single market and benefit for it without the whole country compromising on the main freedoms of the EU? 

I wonder what Norway and Iceland have to say about it?

Something tells me May is not speaking about the big fat invoice that will come with it? 

I guess this was the demand of Ireland so EU has to push for it? And you are right, Norway and Iceland may not be happy since it shows anything can happen when negotiating with EU. But if EU has ensured the 4 freedoms within Northern Ireland then I guess they dont have that much to complain?

https://www.ft.com/content/78a40520-e8fe-11e8-885c-e64da4c0f981

Pound sees worst day since June 2016 vote

The British pound hit session lows against the US dollar and euro following media reports UK environment secretary Michael Gove would resign on Thursday. That undid a brief recovery for sterling after UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s pledge she would see through her deal to take Britain out of the EU. Even before Mrs May spoke, the pound was nursing drops of more than 2 per cent against the buck and the euro, which was vying to be its biggest one-day drop since the Brexit vote back in June 2016. Against the dollar, the pound was down as much as 2.1 per cent at $1.2724, while against the euro, it fell as much as 2.1 per cent to €1.1251. Wall Street remained relatively unmoved following Mrs May’s speech and was down 0.1 per cent in lunchtime trade in New York.

12 hours ago, elijah said:

I guess this was the demand of Ireland so EU has to push for it? And you are right, Norway and Iceland may not be happy since it shows anything can happen when negotiating with EU. But if EU has ensured the 4 freedoms within Northern Ireland then I guess they dont have that much to complain?

Well, as long as the UK pays the big fat bill that comes from being part of the club, there’s no problem.

Brexit has turned into the biggest headache for the UK.  

Would people accept another referendum?  It is too convulted and divisive to even get past what kind of Brexit is wanted. Cameron has a lot to answer for having that referendum and also not sticking around for the fall out. 

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Brexit has turned into the biggest headache for the UK.  

Would people accept another referendum?  It is too convulted and divisive to even get past what kind of Brexit is wanted. Cameron has a lot to answer for having that referendum and also not sticking around for the fall out. 

To be clear: no politician ever pays for the big mess made. Just in recent years there's the example of the absolute annihilation of Iraq, where no mass destruction weapons were and caused the death of hundreds of thousands of people. Where's George W. Bush? Where's Toni Blair and José Maria Aznar? 

They end their mandates, step down and live mega wealthy with all illegal funding received from the lobbies they supported and which caused pain in so many people and created a mess that will go on for decades. 

Nobody will answer for Brexit either.

Hopefully this madness could be reversed somehow. Maybe they will vote the deal and have an option "Remain"? I guess that would probably stop it? Like have 3 options: 1) Remain 2) Accept the deal 3) Hard Brexit. I think Remain would easily win at this point. But I dont see the others agreeing on the same terms? There would probably be no rabat and they ll have to adopt the euro?

3 hours ago, elijah said:

Hopefully this madness could be reversed somehow. Maybe they will vote the deal and have an option "Remain"? I guess that would probably stop it? Like have 3 options: 1) Remain 2) Accept the deal 3) Hard Brexit. I think Remain would easily win at this point. But I dont see the others agreeing on the same terms? There would probably be no rabat and they ll have to adopt the euro?

It's true that if they ever want to join the EU again (that will never happen though) they'll have to accept the euro and Schengen, as they're no 'option out' for new members :lol:

IMO after the mongers are out of Westminster in both Tory and Labour, a new generation will come that will reach new agreements with the EU until they're in a similar position as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Or maybe Switzerland, which is even part of Schengen. The UK will pay money to be part of those parts of the club and they'll still feel they're free (but they're not because nobody is free and independent anymore in this globalised world).