BREXIT / British Politics thread - cont

XXL

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

To be clear: no politician ever pays for the big mess made. Just in recent years there's the example of the absolute annihilation of Iraq, where no mass destruction weapons were and caused the death of hundreds of thousands of people. Where's George W. Bush? Where's Toni Blair and José Maria Aznar? 

They end their mandates, step down and live mega wealthy with all illegal funding received from the lobbies they supported and which caused pain in so many people and created a mess that will go on for decades. 

Nobody will answer for Brexit either.

Agree totally with you.  

Today's awesome NHS hospice colleagues that have been looking after my mum while she battles cancer have originated from:

💙 Spain
💜 Portugal
❤️ Italy
💛 Ireland
💚 UK
💙 Poland
💜 France
❤️ Germany

Not one of them 'queue-jumpers'. 

Every one of them desperately needed.

So stop spreading hate, Prime Minister.

Another doctor in the same hospice happens to be French. He is now leaving after two decades in the NHS to work in another part of the EU. This is what Brexit does. It is what it is about.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46274118

1 hour ago, BrendanT1993 said:

Today's awesome NHS hospice colleagues that have been looking after my mum while she battles cancer have originated from:

💙 Spain
💜 Portugal
❤️ Italy
💛 Ireland
💚 UK
💙 Poland
💜 France
❤️ Germany

Another doctor in the same hospice happens to be French. He is now leaving after two decades in the NHS to work in another part of the EU. This is what Brexit does. It is what it is about.

Every worker is needed. If cleaning workers are on strike we are surrounded by trash. If workers in farms are on strike there would be no food. Nobody is jumping queues. 

The only person I've known in my life who thought he was entitled to jump queues was funnily enough an English dude. He lives in Spain, he was complaining that he had to queue with "Romanians and Bulgarians" while arranging papers in the immigration centre, without knowing my husband is Bulgarian. My hubby asked him sweetly why he thought so, as he was from the EU as those others and he said "yeah but I'm British". 

So you know why May thinks that. That's what those fucking supremacist racists think of other nationalities. 

On 11/21/2018 at 5:04 AM, BrendanT1993 said:

That kind of xenophobia is rampant in the UK and particularly Northern Ireland and is disgusting and is exactly why i'm moving to Canada next year to get away from it.

careful, though. You'll meet xenophobia and racist people in Canada too. 
Just between french canadians and english canadians you'll find a gap that is almost insurmountable.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:24 AM, BrendanT1993 said:

💙 Spain
💜 Portugal
❤️ Italy
💛 Ireland
💚 UK
💙 Poland
💜 France
❤️ Germany

:thumbsup:

Unresolved Gibraltar issues endanger Brexit plans, warns Spain

A rocky peninsula is again emerging as a big hurdle standing in the way of Britain's exit from the EU. Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez is demanding that the Brexit agreement clarify that the status of Gibraltar will be directly negotiated between Madrid and London. UK-controlled Gibraltar voted overwhelmingly to stay within the EU and, while residents appear to be resigned to the impending Brexit, they and large numbers of Spanish workers employed across the border still face an uncertain future.

Arlene Foster: PM's Brexit deal 'not in national interest'

Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) leader Arlene Foster speaks to delegates at the party's annual conference in Belfast. She said: "On the one hand, we'e told the backstop would be the best of both worlds and on the other hand we're told we're not going to need the backstop. Therein lies one of the many contradictions at the heart of his draft withdrawal agreement. "In such circumstances, Northern Ireland alone would be aligned to numerous EU single market regulations while Great Britain would not. "Such a scenario in the medium term would inevitably lead to barriers to trade within the UK internal market. That is not in the national interest."

9 minutes ago, XXL said:

Unresolved Gibraltar issues endanger Brexit plans, warns Spain

A rocky peninsula is again emerging as a big hurdle standing in the way of Britain's exit from the EU. Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez is demanding that the Brexit agreement clarify that the status of Gibraltar will be directly negotiated between Madrid and London. UK-controlled Gibraltar voted overwhelmingly to stay within the EU and, while residents appear to be resigned to the impending Brexit, they and large numbers of Spanish workers employed across the border still face an uncertain future.

Don't worry, the EU is working hard on discredit him. They are critisizing his travel to Cuba to start new relations, as if it were a mistake. Of course, having business with China or Turkey is another matter to Brussels... :rolleyes:

People in Gibraltar have the same rights as those in North/South Ireland. Many people from Spain work in Gibraltar and those from Gibraltar need Spanish people to get into the space or they wouldn't have any kind of business... 

What a mess. 

On 10/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, SuGaR-BuLLeT said:

They're not dead enough, sadly, and seem to be making a bit of a comeback in the their old heartlands (at council level at least). I really thought we'd seen the back of them for a couple of decades after the 2015 election, but they really are a stubborn bunch to get rid of.

Well hello stranger! I hope not! I saw last week that Liebour had slipped another 3 points or so in the latest polls in Scotland with Tories down 1 and SNP up. Even the Corbyn effect (in England) is diminishing as he continues to show zero leadership on Brexit (or anything else) They will forever be Toryville down there so we need to get out while we have a chance.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:44 PM, XXL said:

Arlene Foster: PM's Brexit deal 'not in national interest'

Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) leader Arlene Foster speaks to delegates at the party's annual conference in Belfast. She said: "On the one hand, we'e told the backstop would be the best of both worlds and on the other hand we're told we're not going to need the backstop. Therein lies one of the many contradictions at the heart of his draft withdrawal agreement. "In such circumstances, Northern Ireland alone would be aligned to numerous EU single market regulations while Great Britain would not. "Such a scenario in the medium term would inevitably lead to barriers to trade within the UK internal market. That is not in the national interest."

How amusing that this deal actually gives Northern Ireland the very best of a bad deal while disadvantaging the rest of the UK (especially Scotland), yet this nasty right wing bigoted cunt isn't happy because it means a threat to their precious "union" with rUK. Truly Ireland's shame.

Anyway, it's doubtful this shitty deal will get through parliament so it's either back to the drawing board or out with no deal at all. Fucked either way. There's a ECJ ruling coming soon that will decide the legality of cancelling Brexit altogether. They may rule against it (to dissuade other member states going down the same route of threatening to leave then cancelling) or rule for it (to give us all a get out clause). Shit show.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, Kim said:

How amusing that this deal actually gives Northern Ireland the very best of a bad deal while disadvantaging the rest of the UK (especially Scotland), yet this nasty right wing bigoted cunt isn't happy because it means a threat to their precious "union" with rUK. Truly Ireland's shame.

Anyway, it's doubtful this shitty deal will get through parliament so it's either back to the drawing board or out with no deal at all. Fucked either way. There's a ECJ ruling coming soon that will decide the legality of cancelling Brexit altogether. They may rule against it (to dissuade other member states going down the same route of threatening to leave then cancelling) or rule for it (to give us all a get out clause). Shit show.

👍

I'm wondering if they're going along with this to show just how terrible it will be if we leave and then at the eleventh hour they'll say they're not going through with it or call a referendum.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:46 PM, BrendanT1993 said:

im having waaay toooo much fun watching the DUP and the Tories implode

Trouble is Labour and lib Dems are imploding too. It's a total hot mess!

• 2 weeks later...

EU Court of Justice rules that the UK may unilaterally stop Brexit

https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2018/12/eu-court-of-justice-rules-that-the-uk-may-unilaterally-stop-brexit/

The ECJ ruling demolishes the last argument Brexiters clung to: that we wouldn’t be able to stay and certainly not on same terms. Both are untrue. This ruling takes control from both government and EU and gives it to Parliament. It is a victory for everyone

Throughout the past two years I've never stopped thinking of that one guy I met in April 2017 who voted Leave because he'd grown up in Kenya and wanted passionately to see the UK crippled forever as a world power and how he was probably the only person I've ever met who got what he wanted out of this.

2014 Scottish referendum

2015 GE

2016 EU referendum

2017 GE

I was a bit worried that 2018 wouldn’t deliver us some form of political contest. My mind is at rest! Thresea is facing a leadership contest.

How will this affect Brexit if she's forced out? If she is that means parliament will probably take control of Brexit which means it will be softer than under her watch. Ohhhh there's that taking back control brexiteers promised.

A leadership contest would also mean whoever was next would have to extend article 50 because of delay but May herself has just caused delay by delaying the meaningful vote by weeks

What is going on in this country? Is now the best time to have a leadership contest? they want to overturn the result of the last leadership election? When they elected May?

The last time the Conservative Party triggered a no confidence ballot against a Prime Minister. Thatcher won but was so weakened that she quit a couple of days later. Will history repeat itself?

oh dear, more delusion, lack of knowledge and everything in between. I can only copy and paste a bit of the article. It says also that migrans should come from certain countries with low risk. I wonder which one are those countries, who's going to do the jobs that britons don't want to do, and how this will affect people from the UK who want to settle in another country too. 

Sajid Javid bids to slash EU immigration by 80%

The home secretary plans to cut numbers to between 10,000 and 25,000 a year, with the highly skilled at the front

Javid: plans ‘new conversation’ on immigrationBEN CAWTHRA/LNP

Immigration from the European Union will be slashed by up to 80% under plans to seize control of Britain’s borders that will be outlined by Sajid Javid.

The home secretary will shortly publish plans to end freedom of movement and preferential access for EU migrants after December 2020 that will see net immigration from Europe cut to as little as 10,000 a year.

Latest figures, published two weeks ago, showed that net immigration from the EU was 74,000 in the 12 months to June, the lowest figure for six years. But the government’s immigration white paper says this figure will be slashed to between 10,000 and 25,000 long-term migrants each year by 2025.

Javid will distance himself from Theresa May’s “hostile environment” towards migrants, pledging…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/javid-bids-to-slash-eu-immigration-by-80-qs3q288t3

The ideological stubbornness of Brexiteers opposing a People’s Vote is something to behold.

As I understand it, we’re approaching a situation where Parliament is deadlocked - unable to pass May’s Brexit deal (inc. the very important and conterversial backstop), and unable to make a no deal scenario illegal.

Basically every impact assessment going says any Brexit will put all regions of the UK - particularly Northern Ireland, and places like Cornwall and the North of England, which are particularly deprived and isolated - into economic downturn, in a manner which will hit the poor the hardest.

Yet according to the hardcore Brexiteers, we, the people of the present, must accept our lot and allow ourselves to be held hostage by a mandate from nearly three years ago - which is, on average, the average period of time between general elections over the past few decades.

And not a mandate for a specific outcome. A mandate for a theoretical abstraction. You can’t call a People’s Vote a “re-run”, because this time we have a concrete definition of Brexit in front of us, which we did not have in 2016. A mandate marred by criminality and corruption, with 16 and 17 year olds, who’d face the consequences for the longest time, denied a voice.

You cannot, in fact, undermine democracy with... more, higher-quality democracy. Nor can you undermine the will of the people with... the will of the people that is three years more up to date.

It’s time we got a #PeoplesVote over and done with.

British people should look carefully what's happening in Hungary, where Orban is trying to change labor laws and not pay extra hours due to lack of workers in the country. Lack of workers because he stopped immigration. 

Hello? 

9 hours ago, karbatal said:

British people should look carefully what's happening in Hungary, where Orban is trying to change labor laws and not pay extra hours due to lack of workers in the country. Lack of workers because he stopped immigration. 

Hello? 

They'll jut roll in their own misery, blame minorities and think they're being patriotic heroes who love their country.... so predictable. Worse conditions will just make them more right wing and hateful.

6 hours ago, functions_X said:

They'll jut roll in their own misery, blame minorities and think they're being patriotic heroes who love their country.... so predictable. Worse conditions will just make them more right wing and hateful.

They won't have the EU and migrants to blame. Let's see whom they blame next.