BREXIT / British Politics thread - cont

XXL

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Wow @Kim what a great article it is about the bufflers!!!!! So many things I've noticed through the years in politics but also at work makes sense now. 

I come across those people nearly everyday, little weasels with the gift of the gab and nothing else. I think our generation might have been the last to be educated properly :newspaper:

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Meanwhile this fucking malfunctioning bot gives a ridiculous speech that every political commentator on twitter calls out for how out of touch it is,  yet the BBC's talking about how "jolly mad" Mrs May is and how strong she's being :rolleyes:

:lmao:Outstanding. From "we will retain access to the single market" to "unthinkable apocalyptic no-deal scenario" while continuing to chant that this is the "will of the people".

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-no-brexit-deal-better-than-a-canada-style-one-11508434?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

This is dangerous though not at all surprising, usual reckless talk from a PM who seems increasingly deaf to Northern Ireland and Scotland concerns despite being a "unionist" and wanting to protect so called said union.

The same PM elected a Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who doesn't even understand the nuances and society of the country she's supposed to be the secretary of state for, it's literally her bloody job for fuck sake.  How can a supposed educated politician not know the very basics of the Troubles and then be appointed secretary of state. Unbelievable.

Bottom line is that the UK needs a good deal: that starts with being realistic about options on the table. A No deal Brexit will damage the UK economy & place relationships in NI under further severe strain.

It's very worrying that there's still no realism creeping in 6 months from the end point. 12- 18 months ago everyone was saying how nothing could change in NI, how far we'd come etc but how fragile things still were here. Now, the discourse has changed completely. When did this creep in? We don't want Brexit We never have - there is no good Brexit. It rips apart the delicate fabric of NI

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-no-brexit-deal-better-than-a-canada-style-one-11508434?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

2 hours ago, BrendanT1993 said:

This is dangerous though not at all surprising, usual reckless talk from a PM who seems increasingly deaf to Northern Ireland and Scotland concerns despite being a "unionist" and wanting to protect so called said union.

The same PM elected a Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who doesn't even understand the nuances and society of the country she's supposed to be the secretary of state for, it's literally her bloody job for fuck sake.  How can a supposed educated politician not know the very basics of the Troubles and then be appointed secretary of state. Unbelievable.

Bottom line is that the UK needs a good deal: that starts with being realistic about options on the table. A No deal Brexit will damage the UK economy & place relationships in NI under further severe strain.

It's very worrying that there's still no realism creeping in 6 months from the end point. 12- 18 months ago everyone was saying how nothing could change in NI, how far we'd come etc but how fragile things still were here. Now, the discourse has changed completely. When did this creep in? We don't want Brexit We never have - there is no good Brexit. It rips apart the delicate fabric of NI

I haven't seen much said about the very tiny but important part of her awful speech -- "no new regulatory barriers should be created between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK unless the Northern Ireland Executive and Assembly agree" which is one way of saying they may consider allowing NI to stay in the single market, which is a good thing for them, not that those DUP clowns would agree (unless she bribes them with another billion or so) And if they go down that route, then it serves to at once help unite Ireland and alienate Scotland even further from rUK. 

The NI Executive and Assembly can't agree to that, mainly because they haven't existed for the past 18 months. 

The DUP and Sinn Fein need to stop blaming each other and letting everything descend into typical orange and green tribal politics, get round the table and talk to get a devolved government up and running. They haven't met since February

NI is currently being run by civil servants who can't take any decisions that a minister normally would have to make.

Complete and utter disaster. I hope this mess gets sorted soon

31 minutes ago, BrendanT1993 said:

The NI Executive and Assembly can't agree to that, mainly because they haven't existed for the past 18 months. 

I know, but she didn't have to say it at all. Previously it was just a straight refusal to even consider it, yet now she's suggesting NI can be economically separated from Britain under certain circumstances. I'd expect those DUP clowns to then recind their support for May and for her to be ousted soon after.

It boggles my mind why some in N.Ireland  want to be governed by England, a country that couldn't give a shit about them, but hey ho.

Do you think there will be a general election in the autumn as some are speculating?

Unionism is British nationalism. British nationalism wraps itself in the political ideology of unionism, in order to mask the chauvinism of bigotry and prejudice. British nationalism is the glorification of imperialism and supremacy

I've just watched in Amazon Prime a very interesting docu on London and how the secret web of secret financial societies was built when the empire fell down in the 60s and the creation of tax havens that ultimately were responsible of the de-industrialisation of the country as they only invest abroad. And how it's the reason why sub Saharan countries are so poor. Nowadays there's a full financial mafia ruling even government organisms in the UK. Really interesting documentary!!!!! 

Of course the press are all over what a triumph this is because Treeza actually managed to get through a speech for once without something calamitous happening. Politics really is in the pits when this old crow being told to dance by her advisers because it makes her look more "human" is the talk of the day :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Kim said:

Of course the press are all over what a triumph this is because Treeza actually managed to get through a speech for once without something calamitous happening. Politics really is in the pits when this old crow being told to dance by her advisers because it makes her look more "human" is the talk of the day :rolleyes:

OMG  Are the UK press liking this ?  She was mocked all over our news for dancing like an idiot and celebrating Brexit when her own party can't even agree on what kind of Brexit it is they want. 

33 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

OMG  Are the UK press liking this ?  She was mocked all over our news for dancing like an idiot and celebrating Brexit when her own party can't even agree on what kind of Brexit it is they want. 

All the usual pish...

may 2.jpg

MAY.jpg

1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Typical of those papers. What Sickening rubbish. 

They'll be calling for her head on a platter in a few months time.

Whatever their overlords tell them to print or put on screen, they'll do.

I thought that someone had put the music of Dancing Queen on as a joke in the youtube edits of this when I first saw it but she actually chose that.  My God - how embarrassing.  Obviously going for the whole " I am laughing at myself"  but just cringe worthy.   Giving Sweden a plug though - through Abba !  

On 10/3/2018 at 10:31 PM, Nonoka said:

Theresa May dancing again :laugh::sneaky:

A calculated move to distract from the content most of the speech was just attacks on Corbyn anyway she only really discussed 2 policies.

I work in the public sector and we continue to be run on a shoe string as usual under a Tory government.

I hold UKIP very much accountable for all that propaganda and selling false facts to sway a leave and cause this torment.

UK's third largest party 'will back second Brexit vote' Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon has said that her party would undouctedly support a second referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union, if the matter was taken to a vote in the house of Commons. She suggested, however, that the Scottish National party would seek a guarantee that Scotland would not be forced to accept the terms of any Brexit deal if the country once again voted to remain in contract to the rest of the UK.

Speaking on the 's Andrew Marr show, Sturgeon said: "Our bottom line is membership of the single market and the customs union. I cannot envisage the SNP MPs voting for something that doesn't contain that. Don't forget Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU." Her comments came as up to a hundred thousand people marched through Edinburgh on Saturday calling for Scottish independence. It's one of a number of recent events, organised by the pressure group All Under One Banner, which have been taking place across the country. The marches coincide with the start of the SNPs annual conference in Glasgow. The renewed calls for independence will be encouraging for the SNP, although Sturgeon feels that these are driven by confusion over Brexit.

“I will set out what I think the next steps are when we are at the end of this phase of negotiations,” Sturgeon told Marr. “The future EU-UK relationship is the context in which Scotland would decide that question of independence, so it will shape some of the answers to questions people have." The SNP is the third largest party in Westminster and as such would have significant sway in any knife-edge vote on a second referendum or final Brexit deal.