MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Whitney 'Can I Be Me'

2 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Yeah more and more it def. seems that Bobby Brown was possibly the least of her problems. Yes, he's a dirt bag but that 'marriage' reeks from arranged shit (a front to hide her true love Robin). You think? Her mother is a raging homophobe ice queen (verry similar vibes and demeanor to MJs evil father) and Davis looks as slimy, cold and greedy and Weinstein. I feel in my gut the family situation and 'management', enablers etc...who destroyed her. The fact that Davis wanted his Grammy party or whatever it was to continue even after knowing she died in that same hotel sums it all up. At the minimum the mother and Clive Davis were def 2 of her upper tier demons who took her down. 

Far as absolute STAR power even at her most cracked out Whitney always had the pipes and presence 100x more than Mariahs best f'king day. Whitney didn't need to dance, moronic hand gestures, stupid gimmicks, rent a dopey gay backup dancer(s) etc etc...Non of the bullshit circus. Whitney at her prime could just 'stand there' and get away with it unlike Mimi, Gaga, X-Tina and all the other American Idol garbage Whitney wannabes. 

Agree @Ciccone's Cheeks   With every word. 

Clive Davis was a controlling cold man. He knew how to initially promote her and make her a superstar. He moulded her career brilliantly but both he and Cissy were heartless people.  He seemed ultra controlling but did not step in when it was obvious she had become a self destructive addict. 

It's interesting in the docu how much it shook her when her own community turned her back on her because she has sold her style to white music.  They implied that that was the first step into self hating. 

I didn't know either that she came from such a horrible background with kids using drugs when they were like 13. 

12 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Yeah more and more it def. seems that Bobby Brown was possibly the least of her problems. Yes, he's a dirt bag but that 'marriage' reeks from arranged shit (a front to hide her true love Robin). You think? Her mother is a raging homophobe ice queen (verry similar vibes and demeanor to MJs evil father) and Davis looks as slimy, cold and greedy and Weinstein. I feel in my gut the family situation and 'management', enablers etc...who destroyed her. The fact that Davis wanted his Grammy party or whatever it was to continue even after knowing she died in that same hotel sums it all up. At the minimum the mother and Clive Davis were def 2 of her upper tier demons who took her down. 

Far as absolute STAR power even at her most cracked out Whitney always had the pipes and presence 100x more than Mariahs best f'king day. Whitney didn't need to dance, moronic hand gestures, stupid gimmicks, rent a dopey gay backup dancer(s) etc etc...Non of the bullshit circus. Whitney at her prime could just 'stand there' and get away with it unlike Mimi, Gaga, X-Tina and all the other American Idol garbage Whitney wannabes. 

Aretha, Tina, Whitney, Billie Holiday, Janis Joplin and Diana Ross are among the few female vocalists with big pipes who I can listen to without cringing because they actually knew how to utilize their voice as an instrument and never bothered resorting to forced high notes because they had this natural emotive tone.

Fraudga, X-Tuna, Tamar and Toni Braxton, Nicole Shitzinger, Butt Chin Flopvato, Jennifer Hudson, Fergie and Jessie J are just a few examples on a long list of overpraised and unplesant "singers"

I guess it's a question of trends. Now all of them seem to SHOUT. To struggle. Maybe it is our ear what is not used to that and repels it? My hubby, which is younger than me (how Madonna of me!) is very happy with performances such as Gaga singing The Sound of Music. I guess he was rised with other referents. 

On 14/11/2017 at 1:09 PM, Marco said:

Aretha, Tina, Whitney, Billie Holiday, Janis Joplin and Diana Ross are among the few female vocalists with big pipes who I can listen to without cringing because they actually knew how to utilize their voice as an instrument and never bothered resorting to forced high notes because they had this natural emotive tone.

Fraudga, X-Tuna, Tamar and Toni Braxton, Nicole Shitzinger, Butt Chin Flopvato, Jennifer Hudson, Fergie and Jessie J are just a few examples on a long list of overpraised and unplesant "singers"

Yes to all of them except Toni. I love her voice - so sultry and rich. She certainly doesnt warble and is often quite restrained. The rest are a horror show.

23 hours ago, Crozzauk said:

Yes to all of them except Toni. I love her voice - so sultry and rich. She certainly doesnt warble and is often quite restrained. The rest are a horror show.

Yes, now that I think about it Toni does have a nice sultry voice but I mostly included her because she’s had unpleasant moments of oversinging

That documentary was so uninteresting... I don't know. Either it's I just don't care for Whitney at all or her career and life have really been dull as f...

And these outtakes from her tour in Germany. Frankfurt, Leipzig, Mannheim ... lol! Talking to the audience who, when it comes to understanding English is usually so thick, even more so back in the 90s... 

I don't want to be disrespectful, but that was extremely boring. Maybe it's just the documentary itself is not very well made. It just left me with the impression Whitney was pretty much stupid and shallow. 

21 hours ago, Lolo said:

It just left me with the impression Whitney was pretty much stupid and shallow. 

I might get crucified for saying this, but Whitney didn't have too much common sense (had a voice)....a basic clueless person.  No control or interest into what she actually wanted.  Let others control her and her career.  Sad, but true.  I hate to say "victim", but when you put yourself in that position and surround yourself with people that are there for their benefit, you get what you asked for.