MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Whitney 'Can I Be Me'

I didn't know there was a European version of "I'm Your Baby Tonight" until coming to this thread!

On 21/6/2017 at 7:42 AM, frzndrwnwrld said:

I didn't know there was a European version of "I'm Your Baby Tonight" until coming to this thread!

and I didn´t know there was an americvan one until she released her first GH!!!

the european baby tonight is her best dance song, in my opinion.The american version is as if they were trying to make her fit in that new jack swing thing

21 hours ago, promise to try said:

and I didn´t know there was an americvan one until she released her first GH!!!

the european baby tonight is her best dance song, in my opinion.The american version is as if they were trying to make her fit in that new jack swing thing

It's curious that Europeans prefer their version and Americans theirs.  It's clear the record company did things right hahaha 

3 hours ago, karbatal said:

It's curious that Europeans prefer their version and Americans theirs.  It's clear the record company did things right hahaha 

It's probably just people being used to the one they grew up with.

I didn't know there was an American one till now too. Mad.

If we're going to call a spade a spade, the European version is just a remix. The original version is the one on the North American pressings and was produced by LA Reid and Babyface, also producers of half the album.

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

If we're going to call a spade a spade, the European version is just a remix. The original version is the one on the North American pressings and was produced by LA Reid and Babyface, also producers of half the album.

And it's very Pettibonish 

I don't really get the hate. It sounds pretty much like "My Name is Not Susan" and "Anymore"  while the remix sticks out like a sore thumb in the context of the album.

I just saw the docu, there's nothing really new...it's kinda cheap and boring.

I feel even more sad 4 Nippy & Robin though...Cissy & Clive r Cunts.

On 2017-6-27 at 6:40 AM, acko said:

I just saw the docu, there's nothing really new...it's kinda cheap and boring.

I feel even more sad 4 Nippy & Robin though...Cissy & Clive r Cunts.

I saw this yesterday with a friend and both of us felt such sadness and frustration with Whitney and everyone around her.   I thought Robin Crawford was the only person that could hold her head up high and probably the only person that had Whitney's best interests at heart.  Was incredibly sad for Whitney.   Cissy is an absolute horror and I feel that if she had just let Whitney and Robin be what they wanted to be, things could have been a lot different. Cissy is a cold, hard, judgemental and dominating person.  Clive Davis dominated her to sing the songs he knew would become major hits and they controlled her image and musical output with selfish strategic planning.  He used her completely to create the superstar he wanted. 

As for Whitney herself,  it made me almost cry to see how self destructive she become and how her gift - her magnificent, once in a lifetime voice was ruined by drugs.  I always have thought that Whitney easily had one of the greatest voices ever but I did not feel she was a great performer.  I can now see why.  The drugs and her shocking team that sat back and accepted her addictions and let her perform on stage drugged and high as a kite - it's so frustrating.  It was heart breaking to hear Burt Bacharach talk of having to replace her at the Oscars because she could not perform and was so erratic and out of it.  Poor Bobbi Christina never stood a chance growing up in that drug fuelled environment.  

Why nobody took her bodyguard's letter seriously and why her team let her go on tour while obviously high on drugs and struggling so much was criminal.   Was also heart breaking to see her booed at the Soul Train awards.  I had no idea that she was somewhat looked down upon and it would have been horrible for her.  One thing I thought too.  When they said that Beyonce and every African American woman owes Whitney her career because she was the first to become a superstar - have they never heard of Diana Ross ?   All in all, was very sad how they controlled Whitney, her image, her music and how she had to be presented.  

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I saw this yesterday with a friend and both of us felt such sadness and frustration with Whitney and everyone around her.   I thought Robin Crawford was the only person that could hold her head up high and probably the only person that had Whitney's best interests at heart.  Was incredibly sad for Whitney.   Cissy is an absolute horror and I feel that if she had just let Whitney and Robin be what they wanted to be, things could have been a lot different. Cissy is a cold, hard, judgemental and dominating person.  Clive Davis dominated her to sing the songs he knew would become major hits and they controlled her image and musical output with selfish strategic planning.  He used her completely to create the superstar he wanted. 

As for Whitney herself,  it made me almost cry to see how self destructive she become and how her gift - her magnificent, once in a lifetime voice was ruined by drugs.  I always have thought that Whitney easily had one of the greatest voices ever but I did not feel she was a great performer.  I can now see why.  The drugs and her shocking team that sat back and accepted her addictions and let her perform on stage drugged and high as a kite - it's so frustrating.  It was heart breaking to hear Burt Bacharach talk of having to replace her at the Oscars because she could not perform and was so erratic and out of it.  Poor Bobbi Christina never stood a chance growing up in that drug fuelled environment.  

Why nobody took her bodyguard's letter seriously and why her team let her go on tour while obviously high on drugs and struggling so much was criminal.   Was also heart breaking to see her booed at the Soul Train awards.  I had no idea that she was somewhat looked down upon and it would have been horrible for her.  One thing I thought too.  When they said that Beyonce and every African American woman owes Whitney her career because she was the first to become a superstar - have they never heard of Diana Ross ?   All in all, was very sad how they controlled Whitney, her image, her music and how she had to be presented.  

YESS, @ The Diana Ross comment...that was so disrepectful! & hello, Tina Turner, anyone? The woman filled stadiums 4 at least TWO decades.

The most shocking part of her life and the industry surrounding her, isn't even part of this docu. I feel that her last album (A Clive Davis record) & the tour that followed were truly the nail in her coffin.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea 2 let this woman, THE VOICE, record an album with NO voice & then go on tour with a voice that made BAT Madonna
sound like Maria Callas. I think Aretha Franklin even commented that the last tour was devastating 4 Whitney.

3:38 on is unbelievable. No one will EVER.

Kind of late to this conversation, but I don't see how the singles from Erotica (specifically DAD) don't fit with some of the other tracks you guys posted that were big in the UK at the time. 

I also prefer the original US version of "I'm Your Baby Tonight." One of my favorite Whitney tracks. It's tight. The Euro version doesn't have the same energy.

Never knew there was a different version of IYBT.....that Euro mix is bad. Sounds like a fan made YouTube mix or something. Generic.

On 2017-6-29 at 5:41 AM, acko said:

YESS, @ The Diana Ross comment...that was so disrepectful! & hello, Tina Turner, anyone? The woman filled stadiums 4 at least TWO decades.

The most shocking part of her life and the industry surrounding her, isn't even part of this docu. I feel that her last album (A Clive Davis record) & the tour that followed were truly the nail in her coffin.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea 2 let this woman, THE VOICE, record an album with NO voice & then go on tour with a voice that made BAT Madonna
sound like Maria Callas. I think Aretha Franklin even commented that the last tour was devastating 4 Whitney.

So true.  Tina Turner has been a worldwide superstar for years.  

Also agree about how wrong is was making her tour that last time.   I know a woman that went to her concert and she left half way through.  Said it was too embarrassing and awful to see someone who she adored as a singer that now could not even get through one song.  Not a way anyone wants to remember a superstar.  

3 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

So true.  Tina Turner has been a worldwide superstar for years.  

Also agree about how wrong is was making her tour that last time.   I know a woman that went to her concert and she left half way through.  Said it was too embarrassing and awful to see someone who she adored as a singer that now could not even get through one song.  Not a way anyone wants to remember a superstar.  

Yes it's one thing 2 casually hear or read about a star involved in drugs...tabloid stuff has a vapid impact on the general public sometimes,

but @ the show I went 2 to 'The older Celine Dion'-crowd, who were there 4 her big ballads they knew from the radio were SHOCKED, like they
had no idea what had happened 2 her (voice)....

2 minutes ago, acko said:

Yes it's one thing 2 casually hear or read about a star involved in drugs...tabloid stuff has a vapid impact on the general public sometimes,

but @ the show I went 2 to 'The older Celine Dion'-crowd, who were there 4 her big ballads they knew from the radio were SHOCKED, like they
had no idea what had happened 2 her (voice)....

Yes, it is really heart breaking that someone with a voice that incredible could just lose it through drugs.  That part of the film when they talked about how her mother and everyone was against her relationship with Robin but mainly turned a blind eye to her drug addiction was so telling.  I know she was an adult and should make her own choices etc but how could they not try and intervene when they saw how she was when touring  ?  

On 28/6/2017 at 8:29 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Beautiful way to sum it up.  Davis represent the horror of show business and Whitney is far more a victim than others more usually named like Michael Jackson.  

Did you guys notice how in the very end it all comes to the family????  Jackson,  Whitney... Horrible families in the middle of such a cruel and dangerous place. 

She never was a good performer,  BTW.  She had the best VOICE but the effort to make her a pop star and make her DANCE was always embarrassing,  even from the beginning.  Davis is POISON.  Yes,  he gave her a zillion hits but I'm sure he sucked up all joy that Whitney could ever get from music.  

There's a very telling part in Gary Barlow's autobiography when the record company wants to make him a big star in the US after Take That split. This boy had written global number ones and was a respected song writer, winner of awards.  And then he meets Clive Davis and all his songs are taken away and he has to release that Madonna discarded song and a taylor-made ballad by Dianne Warren.  He felt like shit. Davis marketed him in the worst way and dropped him like 5 minutes later when the buzz wasn't big enough,  so it was the biggest flop. 

Yes, it was the VOICE that made you look past her performance and the sappiness of much of her material. Like this:

On 01/07/2017 at 8:41 AM, karbatal said:

She never was a good performer,  BTW.  She had the best VOICE but the effort to make her a pop star and make her DANCE was always embarrassing,  even from the beginning.  Davis is POISON.  Yes,  he gave her a zillion hits but I'm sure he sucked up all joy that Whitney could ever get from music.  

There's a very telling part in Gary Barlow's autobiography when the record company wants to make him a big star in the US after Take That split. This boy had written global number ones and was a respected song writer, winner of awards.  And then he meets Clive Davis and all his songs are taken away and he has to release that Madonna discarded song and a taylor-made ballad by Dianne Warren.  He felt like shit. Davis marketed him in the worst way and dropped him like 5 minutes later when the buzz wasn't big enough,  so it was the biggest flop. 

To be fair Gary Barlow had some success with his first solo offering. In fact Love Won't Wait went number one in the charts in the UK and not even Robbie Williams with all his fame and fortune and big networks behind could crack the US so nobody expected Gary to become a US success story. 

I think the biggest enemy for Whitney was the drugs. If you watch her first videos the girl had rhythm. Of course she wasn't a show girl like Madonna but she wasn't as bad as most of the female artists we see today. She did have stage presence and with that voice who needs to dance anyway? Whitney had everything going in terms of success/fame/popularity. She could have easily had a major career revival if it wasn't for her addiction. America always loved and will always love Whitney. 

On 01/07/2017 at 8:41 AM, karbatal said:

I agree her dancing was embarrassing, but she was still a good performer. She had a commanding presence, and knew how to DELIVER a song. No flailing hand gestures. No pained constipated expressions. She just stood there and sang flawlessly (well certainly in the 80s). 

In a way she didnt stand a chance. Bad family and record company who just wanted to use her as a cash cow. Bobby was the least of her worries. Its sad she will be remembered for her demise. Also, i do believe that it was cigarettes that ruined her voice, more so than drugs. She loved to smoke. I think her inability to sing and perform frustrated her and made her depressed, and that is when the drug use spiralled out of control. 

Yeah more and more it def. seems that Bobby Brown was possibly the least of her problems. Yes, he's a dirt bag but that 'marriage' reeks from arranged shit (a front to hide her true love Robin). You think? Her mother is a raging homophobe ice queen (verry similar vibes and demeanor to MJs evil father) and Davis looks as slimy, cold and greedy and Weinstein. I feel in my gut the family situation and 'management', enablers etc...who destroyed her. The fact that Davis wanted his Grammy party or whatever it was to continue even after knowing she died in that same hotel sums it all up. At the minimum the mother and Clive Davis were def 2 of her upper tier demons who took her down. 

Far as absolute STAR power even at her most cracked out Whitney always had the pipes and presence 100x more than Mariahs best f'king day. Whitney didn't need to dance, moronic hand gestures, stupid gimmicks, rent a dopey gay backup dancer(s) etc etc...Non of the bullshit circus. Whitney at her prime could just 'stand there' and get away with it unlike Mimi, Gaga, X-Tina and all the other American Idol garbage Whitney wannabes. 

13 hours ago, acko said:

When Whitney toured Australia in the 80's, it was known Robin was her girlfriend. Announcers openly talked about it on the radio. It was no big deal. I was actually surprised when Whitney married Bobby Brown as always knew she was a lesbian. When she died, music journalists here talked about it too. I still think that if she had stayed with Robin as a partner, she would not of become so self destructive. Just assumption but I think Robin would of not tolerated her descent into complete drug addiction. Robyn seemed to be the only stable and loving person in her life.