MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Whitney 'Can I Be Me'

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Love that Galliano track which sounds very American to me

Yes the acid jazz scene had lots of US influences but not the RnB Boyz II Men Color Me Badd sound of that time.

There were so many great genres of music around with amazing songs. I went to so many different types of clubs.

Just now, jonski43 said:

Yes the acid jazz scene had lots of US influences but not the RnB Boyz II Men Color Me Badd sound of that time.

There were so many great genres of music around with amazing songs. I went to so many different types of clubs.

OMG Boyz II Men yuck fuck that shit. I hope they are all dead by now.

3 hours ago, spotlight said:

The US version of Im your baby tonight is 1 000 000 times better than the European version (which I've never heard before). It just sounds so generic to me. 

27 years ago it didn't sound generic. It was that awful r&b version that sounded just like everything else from the US.

On 2017-6-11 at 11:10 PM, Crystal Coffin said:

Post some songs that were considered trendy in the UK from that era 

ETC ETC ETC

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

OMG Boyz II Men yuck fuck that shit. I hope they are all dead by now.

I did quite like Motownphilly 😄

46 minutes ago, Kim said:

27 years ago it didn't sound generic. It was that awful r&b version that sounded just like everything else.

ETC ETC ETC

Touchée. Point taken Kim

Did u guys in Europe get this version of "all the Man i need" ?

4 minutes ago, spotlight said:

Touchée. Point take Kim

The song was the same but the video was a cheap compilation as it was released in the UK before she shot the actual video

Yuck. Color Me Badd was awful as well. 

Fuck you Americans for giving shit like that to the world. :thumbsdown: 

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

The song was the same but the video was a cheap compilation as it was released in the UK before she shot the actual video

So the rest of the album was the same as the US version we got here. I was wondering wether or not the whole album was completely different in the UK. But I guess it was just the lead single 

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Yuck. Color Me Badd was awful as well. 

Fuck you Americans for giving shit like that to the world. :thumbsdown: 

THIS.

They were a reductive boys to men IMHO

15 minutes ago, spotlight said:

Touchée. Point take Kim

15 minutes ago, spotlight said:

Touchée. Point take Kim

I don't even remember this song. 

Was My Name Is Not Susan on the same album? That was good.

9 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I don't even remember this song. 

Was My Name Is Not Susan on the same album? That was good.

Yes same album... this was the second single here in North America and it was a big hit IIRC

I was just cruising trough YouTube looking for the UK video of all the man I need and I stumbled upon this masterpiece live performance.  

this gave me chills. Best voice in the business. She makes it look so effortless to sing. No one could ever sing with such emotion and charisma (well maybe just Madonna)

she was a superstar through and through. Nobody will ever match this.

Early 90s music from the USA sounded so absurdidly bland in Europa back then! We only got Shanice's "I love Your Smile" and those Boyz II Men and things like that and we were like uh? 

In 1990 we were all here being transcendental with things like this

God, I loved KLF so much! They were so MASSIVE!!!!! I remember I was praying Madonna collaborated with them! 

We should make a thread bout them, like when they decided to hire Tammy Bennet and it was a dissastrous recording session :lol:

The results were great though 

Sanice? Maybe you lived in a Bubble Karbutthole...

But we we're going crazy over DEEE-LITE, CeCe Peniston, Guns ' N Roses, Prince & The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Those art wankers from The KLF can get fucked.

1 hour ago, acko said:

But we we're going crazy over DEEE-LITE, CeCe Peniston, Guns ' N Roses, Prince & The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

We liked all those above too.

As I said, there were so many great, diverse music scenes around made-up of local and global trends it was amazing. 

Look at the charts now and it just seems to be shit Calvin Harris dance,  crap rap and Bieber pop.

Remixes and club life seem to be dead 

2 hours ago, acko said:

Yeah...

Oh i thought Dee Light were Europeans?  I know Towa Tei was Japanese but miss Kerr was German? 

Sorry but American music in European charts back then were so unimaginative!  Stuck in rock and soft urban. 

As a Madonna fan, I remember this era so vividly and despairing that she'd never have a real hit again. There was definitely a disconnect between her sound and what was going on in Europe. Even dance songs like Deeper & Deeper seemed a bit plodding compared to the dance scene here.

Take a Bow probably being the pinnacle of all that...such a big hit in the US but her first song to miss the Top 10 in UK. Then came ROL and the rest is history :wow:

1 hour ago, Kim said:

As a Madonna fan, I remember this era so vividly and despairing that she'd never have a real hit again. There was definitely a disconnect between her sound and what was going on in Europe. Even dance songs like Deeper & Deeper seemed a bit plodding compared to the dance scene here.

Take a Bow probably being the pinnacle of all that...such a big hit in the US but her first song to miss the Top 10 in UK. Then came ROL and the rest is history :wow:

It's true that her sound was so different to what we listened to! But she really worked the remixes back then, I danced to death in the disco to the D&D remixes and recall the industrial sound of Secret, those Junior Vasquez Factory Mixes were such a big hit! 

Until You'll See she really was very uneventful in Europe back then, in terms of big singles. She was everywhere, though, because she was the ultimate pop star. 

12 hours ago, acko said:

THIS!!!!!

12 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I love En Vogue though!

LOVE En Vogue.