MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Whitney 'Can I Be Me'

Whitney has some really amazing songs & I love several of her nineties tracks.....

Her well known club remixes are LEGENDARY! 

2 hours ago, Kim said:

This is the first time I really started paying attention to Whitney. And this euro version is a billion times better than the Us.

And yes @Suedehead I can STILL lip sync this song expertly :sassy:

And this is her best ballad me thinks...it's from the same era as "I'm Your Baby Tonight"

Love "I'm Your Baby Tonight"...but prefer the U.S. album version. Loved that loud, funky late 80s/early 90s R&B/Pop sound. So sue me.

33 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Love "I'm Your Baby Tonight"...but prefer the U.S. album version. Loved that loud, funky late 80s/early 90s R&B/Pop sound. So sue me.

I think both versions are almost equally bland. It's the melody and her vocal delivery that truly make the song

40 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I think both versions are almost equally bland. It's the melody and her vocal delivery that truly make the song

I don't find it bland at all. That was the 'in' sound at the time, and I loved it then, and do now.

2 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

I don't find it bland at all. That was the 'in' sound at the time, and I loved it then, and do now.

To me, if you want the 'in' sound from that era (early '90s) that isn't bland - well in my opinion of course - listen to Cathy Dennis' excellent Into the Skyline album. No I'm not dictating you or giving you a "lesson" of course, just expressing my view :lol: 

That RnB ish is kinda the only genre that wasn't "in" over here. The 90s was britpop/indie/grunge/eurodance/electonic/trip-hop

31 minutes ago, Kim said:

That RnB ish is kinda the only genre that wasn't "in" over here. The 90s was britpop/indie/grunge/eurodance/electonic/trip-hop

OMG St. Etienne's Foxbase Alpha is :dramatic: 

17 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

This. It's all about the US album version.

On 2017-6-10 at 7:22 PM, Kim said:

This is the first time I really started paying attention to Whitney. And this euro version is a billion times better than the Us.

And yes @Suedehead I can STILL lip sync this song expertly :sassy:

I didn't realise the version we got was a 'euro' version but yes, I prefer it to the US version although it's OK as I like some new jack swing but it was really out of touch with the sound in the UK at that time. 

I have to say though, Erotica was way out of sync with UK music trends too. The US and UK really were very different at that time in terms of musical trends unlike today where everything is very homogenised. 

Here's the US version. The euro version is a bit more 'pop'!

13 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I have to say though, Erotica was way out of sync with UK music trends too. The US and UK really were very different at that time in terms of musical trends unlike today where everything is very homogenised.

Post some songs that were considered trendy in the UK from that era 

7 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Black Box comes to mind in 1990

KLF in 1991

Europe has always been more dance oriented than the US, which is more rnb. 

Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You

But in the early late 80's to early 90's Dance/House-pop had a distinct Urban feel 2 it, which came very much
from the US, and it was the GLOBAL trend...unfortunately it's also where the rent-a-rapper trend
orignated from, which reached a horrible peak in those Euro-dance tracks '93-'96.
And Everyone was doing the running man in their videos 2 some extent..

remember those diagonal camera angles and photo shoot sets and mic stands as the decor
4 music videos...they all look denim/clothes ads now :lol:

14 minutes ago, acko said:

But in the early late 80's to early 90's Dance/House-pop had a distinct Urban feel 2 it, which came very much
from the US, and it was the GLOBAL trend...unfortunately it's also where the rent-a-rapper trend
orignated from, which reached a horrible peak in those Euro-dance tracks '93-'96.
And Everyone was doing the running man in their videos 2 some extent..

remember those diagonal camera angles and photo shoot sets and mic stands as the decor
4 music videos...they all look denim/clothes ads now :lol:

POST SOME VIDEOS NOT JUST SOME TALK

Well, when I'm Your Baby Tonight was released, this was popular in Europe

When Erotica was released, this was popular in Europe

omg, total blast from the past. I just saw myself on the disco podium doing the Snap choreo! :lol:

It was a much bigger shock Justify My Love. NOBODY was ready. I remember the first time i listened to Justify, i was like WTF??? I recall i was in the bathroom, ready to take a shower, and had the radio on, and was so shocked I couldn't even move, listening to that weird beat, to the whispering voice... 

On 10/06/2017 at 6:44 PM, VogueMusic said:

+1

The US version of Im your baby tonight is 1 000 000 times better than the European version (which I've never heard before). It just sounds so generic to me. 

23 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

It was the era of Rave, Madchester and Acid Jazz!

2 hours ago, spotlight said:

The US version of Im your baby tonight is 1 000 000 times better than the European version (which I've never heard before). It just sounds so generic to me. 

Looks like people prefer they were exposed to. The US versions sound so generic RnB swing sound to me whereas the Euro version flows better. 

8 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

It was the era of Rave, Madchester and Acid Jazz!

Looks like people prefer they were exposed to. The US versions sound so generic RnB swing sound to me whereas the Euro version flows better. 

Your prolly right:thumbsup: