Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Whitney 'Can I Be Me'

Recommended Posts

Whitney has some really amazing songs & I love several of her nineties tracks.....

Her well known club remixes are LEGENDARY! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kim said:

This is the first time I really started paying attention to Whitney. And this euro version is a billion times better than the Us.

And yes @Suedehead I can STILL lip sync this song expertly :sassy:

And this is her best ballad me thinks...it's from the same era as "I'm Your Baby Tonight"
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love "I'm Your Baby Tonight"...but prefer the U.S. album version. Loved that loud, funky late 80s/early 90s R&B/Pop sound. So sue me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Love "I'm Your Baby Tonight"...but prefer the U.S. album version. Loved that loud, funky late 80s/early 90s R&B/Pop sound. So sue me.

I think both versions are almost equally bland. It's the melody and her vocal delivery that truly make the song

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I think both versions are almost equally bland. It's the melody and her vocal delivery that truly make the song

I don't find it bland at all. That was the 'in' sound at the time, and I loved it then, and do now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

I don't find it bland at all. That was the 'in' sound at the time, and I loved it then, and do now.

To me, if you want the 'in' sound from that era (early '90s) that isn't bland - well in my opinion of course - listen to Cathy Dennis' excellent Into the Skyline album. No I'm not dictating you or giving you a "lesson" of course, just expressing my view :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That RnB ish is kinda the only genre that wasn't "in" over here. The 90s was britpop/indie/grunge/eurodance/electonic/trip-hop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kim said:

That RnB ish is kinda the only genre that wasn't "in" over here. The 90s was britpop/indie/grunge/eurodance/electonic/trip-hop

OMG St. Etienne's Foxbase Alpha is :dramatic: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Love "I'm Your Baby Tonight"...but prefer the U.S. album version. Loved that loud, funky late 80s/early 90s R&B/Pop sound. So sue me.

This. It's all about the US album version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-10 at 7:22 PM, Kim said:

This is the first time I really started paying attention to Whitney. And this euro version is a billion times better than the Us.

And yes @Suedehead I can STILL lip sync this song expertly :sassy:

I didn't realise the version we got was a 'euro' version but yes, I prefer it to the US version although it's OK as I like some new jack swing but it was really out of touch with the sound in the UK at that time. 

I have to say though, Erotica was way out of sync with UK music trends too. The US and UK really were very different at that time in terms of musical trends unlike today where everything is very homogenised. 

Here's the US version. The euro version is a bit more 'pop'!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I have to say though, Erotica was way out of sync with UK music trends too. The US and UK really were very different at that time in terms of musical trends unlike today where everything is very homogenised.

Post some songs that were considered trendy in the UK from that era 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Post some songs that were considered trendy in the UK from that era 

Black Box comes to mind in 1990

KLF in 1991

Europe has always been more dance oriented than the US, which is more rnb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But in the early late 80's to early 90's Dance/House-pop had a distinct Urban feel 2 it, which came very much
from the US, and it was the GLOBAL trend...unfortunately it's also where the rent-a-rapper trend
orignated from, which reached a horrible peak in those Euro-dance tracks '93-'96.
And Everyone was doing the running man in their videos 2 some extent..

remember those diagonal camera angles and photo shoot sets and mic stands as the decor
4 music videos...they all look denim/clothes ads now :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, acko said:

But in the early late 80's to early 90's Dance/House-pop had a distinct Urban feel 2 it, which came very much
from the US, and it was the GLOBAL trend...unfortunately it's also where the rent-a-rapper trend
orignated from, which reached a horrible peak in those Euro-dance tracks '93-'96.
And Everyone was doing the running man in their videos 2 some extent..

remember those diagonal camera angles and photo shoot sets and mic stands as the decor
4 music videos...they all look denim/clothes ads now :lol:

POST SOME VIDEOS NOT JUST SOME TALK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, when I'm Your Baby Tonight was released, this was popular in Europe

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Erotica was released, this was popular in Europe

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

omg, total blast from the past. I just saw myself on the disco podium doing the Snap choreo! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a much bigger shock Justify My Love. NOBODY was ready. I remember the first time i listened to Justify, i was like WTF??? I recall i was in the bathroom, ready to take a shower, and had the radio on, and was so shocked I couldn't even move, listening to that weird beat, to the whispering voice... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2017 at 6:44 PM, VogueMusic said:

Love "I'm Your Baby Tonight"...but prefer the U.S. album version. Loved that loud, funky late 80s/early 90s R&B/Pop sound. So sue me.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US version of Im your baby tonight is 1 000 000 times better than the European version (which I've never heard before). It just sounds so generic to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Post some songs that were considered trendy in the UK from that era 

 

 

 

It was the era of Rave, Madchester and Acid Jazz!

2 hours ago, spotlight said:

The US version of Im your baby tonight is 1 000 000 times better than the European version (which I've never heard before). It just sounds so generic to me. 

Looks like people prefer they were exposed to. The US versions sound so generic RnB swing sound to me whereas the Euro version flows better. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

 

 

 

It was the era of Rave, Madchester and Acid Jazz!

Looks like people prefer they were exposed to. The US versions sound so generic RnB swing sound to me whereas the Euro version flows better. 

 

 

Your prolly right:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×