MadonnaNation.com Forums
acko

Whitney 'Can I Be Me'

I'm gonna C this in a theatre next week, I dunno why but the trailer already
makes me feel sad. I'm a big Whitney fan, which is strange cuz I don't like
her music...Certainly not the Ballads & 80's stuff...I was always here 4 
RnB Whitney, MLIYL, In My Business, I'm Your Baby Tonight, My Name is Not Susan
(yes RuPaul I'm waiting 4 that Lip Sync Battle) & her as a person...My Nippy :inlove:

She had a voice and the looks.  But what she lacked (IMO) was self control.  She just always seemed like a pretentious cunt.  When you believe in the hype and get lost in the "I'm the best" attitude (like Gags & Mooriah), it will consume you.  Don't wanna sound hateful, but she was her own worse enemy.

@acko  Please let us know your thoughts on the movie once you've seen it.  I didn't even know this was in the making.

todsmod...I feel the same...look at the very beginning when she'd win an award,

she seemed humbled. But after a few it's almost as if "I knew I'd win"

I've seen the same thing with Mariah, Janet & LG....they just act like they are the

prettiest, greatest dancer, best vocalist....like no one can come close

Whitney has the REAL voice as compare to Pariah & Floppita.

41 minutes ago, Aries said:

I've seen the same thing with Mariah, Janet & LG....they just act like they are the

I disagree, I feel that she was pretty much over it, & i think it was more bravado & masking her unhappiness.

She was being lived, rather than living it. Not at all like those other heffa's.

I remember the hype sticker of 12 #1's on some CD of hers. Bitch you have 11 :bad:

7 hours ago, Aries said:

I've never seen Whitney (or Janet for that matter act like this).

She always came across as being very thankful for her talent and success. She was confident (and with THAT voice and those looks who wouldn't be?) but I don't think she behaved like Mariah or any other big time divas.

Mariah for one is petty, jealous of younger female artists and obsessed with her stats.

Whitney on the other hand was always supportive of the younger girls of the time (Aaliyah, Brandy,Monica,etc. They all love Whitney and said how supportive she was of them).

And when has Whitney bragged about her success like say Mariah? And damn it, she certainly could have.

If she did have an "I knew I'd win" attitude, So what? During the "Bodyguard" era, she was THE biggest thing on the planet. Her songs were being played everywhere. Movie was a huge success. She was sweeping EVERY award show. Why should she act surprised at winning at these award shows? I prefer that over fake "omg I'm so shocked I won" act that Taylor Swift pulls for instance.

By the late 90's, it's clear Whitney was over the whole fame thing anyway. She just wanted to spend time with her family at that point.

Personality wise, Whitney was cool. I loved her personality.

I'll be checking out this documentary btw. Whitney was amazing.

She had such great songs! Wonderful voice and such a star! mmm I was uncertain about her personality but she came across really genuine l thing on MTV's fanatic. I had a chance to go to the premier of this a couple of weeks ago in London at the Mayfair, the director and whoever was doing a q&a but didn't go. Ill still watch it when its out for sure!. Nicks a great director every one is amazing. Shame I never got to see her in her prime, just the last tour before she died, it was half empty they moved us to the front and cancelled (if I remember rightly) the 2nd date. It was great to finally see her but lets just say, I wish id seen her earlier. My mate (huge fan) loved it and that's what matters, I treated him for his birthday he was devastated when she died not long after. She was genuinely gifted, such a shame.

6 hours ago, StrawberryBounce12 said:

I've never seen Whitney (or Janet for that matter act like this).

She always came across as being very thankful for her talent and success. She was confident (and with THAT voice and those looks who wouldn't be?) but I don't think she behaved like Mariah or any other big time divas.

Mariah for one is petty, jealous of younger female artists and obsessed with her stats.

Whitney on the other hand was always supportive of the younger girls of the time (Aaliyah, Brandy,Monica,etc. They all love Whitney and said how supportive she was of them).

And when has Whitney bragged about her success like say Mariah? And damn it, she certainly could have.

If she did have an "I knew I'd win" attitude, So what? During the "Bodyguard" era, she was THE biggest thing on the planet. Her songs were being played everywhere. Movie was a huge success. She was sweeping EVERY award show. Why should she act surprised at winning at these award shows? I prefer that over fake "omg I'm so shocked I won" act that Taylor Swift pulls for instance.

By the late 90's, it's clear Whitney was over the whole fame thing anyway. She just wanted to spend time with her family at that point.

Personality wise, Whitney was cool. I loved her personality.

I'll be checking out this documentary btw. Whitney was amazing.

THIS.

0:11 to 0:30 is EVERYTHANG (that i got) :wow:

Best voice EVER.  Feeling and technique united. 

I've been this past week working out with Love Will Save The Day.  As a kid that song was, along with Where's The Party, my going crazy song.  

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

Come on acko let's do the CHOREO :wow:

:lol:

Omg when she has to stop dancing to be able to sing correctly.  And the problem that is the BAT mic for singing????  I'm sure she kept thinking "how can Madonna do this?"

IKR - for years the version that was available was overdubbed with pre-recorded vocals to make her sound better

She's much better with the hand-held mic when she slays I'm Your Baby Tonight (another all time favourite of mine, and yes would be amazing in a RuPaul lipsync) 

WHATEVER you want from ME
I'm giving you EVERYTHING
I'm your BABY tonight!! (I'm your BABY...)

You're giving me ecstasy 
ECSTASY!!!
Cause you are my fantasy
FANTASY!!!
I'm your baby TONIGHT...

I'm Your Baby is such an amazing song.  I'm sure I'm the only one who likes her upbeat songs much more than the booooooooring and geneeeeeeric ballads with the Narada One trick pony Michael Walden.  

If I Will Always Love You is great is because it's written by Dolly. 

If he makes

You feel

Like a million dollar bill

Could I

Could I

Could I have this kiss forever?

If I told you that

What would you say? 

If I told you that ! 

5 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

This is the first time I really started paying attention to Whitney. And this euro version is a billion times better than the Us.

And yes @Suedehead I can STILL lip sync this song expertly :sassy:

Don't wanna HEAR about SUSAN !

She got NOTHIN' on me (she got nuthin' on me...) 

So show some REEEEEESPECT for

The Love you REEEEEEEECEIVE! 

My name is NOT Susan

No no no no no

You bettah you betta you betta GET IT RIGHT 

Is there another version of I'm Your Baby????????  The sound was American enough already!  

Omg Im just listening to that mess of the American version. Why did they do that?????  

It's even worse than the American version of Kylie's Love At First Sight :lol: