Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

Campaign for a 30th anniversary LIKE A PRAYER deluxe reissue starts HERE

Recommended Posts

That's right. We need to start lobbying Guy O, Warner, Madonna and whoever else is involved by the start of 2018 in order to ensure we have a proper release in 2019. 

 

So our plotting, scheming and planning starts here. Offici-ally.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. We need this brilliant masterpiece to be appreciated fully in all it's glory. The most personal and emotional album she has released with epic songs that have stood the test of time easily and beautifully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know her albums prior to LAP have sold more and even yielded more 'hits' from them, but this album changed the entire trajectory of her career. And I know she does't like to 'look back' on previous work, but I think the time is ripe for her do so. And this is album to do it with. 

I'd also like to see something done with Ray of Light next year, I know it won't happen, but I can dream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 

It deserves a proper release.  It's her trademark album.  And the tour (I consider BAT the LAP tour)  too.  

Box with remastered,  with dvd,  with a documentary about the impact,  and of course demos and rarities.  

Sometimes we complain that she doesn't get the recognition she deserves,  that people are rewriting history..... Well SHE IS PARTLY TO BLAME FOR NOT ACKNOWLEDGING HER OWN ACHIEVEMENTS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Least we can get is the full Shep Pettibone EY remix and one of the LAP remixes tacked on the end. 

Woukd die if there was a LAP + BAT box, with tour book and outtakes from her Herb Ritts shoot, and remixes, and a video DVD with commentary from Pat Leonard and M. But come one, as if anything will happen. Will probably get a mention on instagram or on tour. :banghead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You already have Like a Prayer on CD, It says "digital recording" on the front. Remasters sound crap anyway. No one will buy it.  If Madonna wanted to add extra songs she would have done it at the time. Madonna doesn't live in the past. Be thankful she is still making music.  ETC ETC :bad::madgemanson:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't seem like they'll ever be concerned with re-issuing her back catalog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Queen Vika said:

Least we can get is the full Shep Pettibone EY remix and one of the LAP remixes tacked on the end. 

Woukd die if there was a LAP + BAT box, with tour book and outtakes from her Herb Ritts shoot, and remixes, and a video DVD with commentary from Pat Leonard and M. But come one, as if anything will happen. Will probably get a mention on instagram or on tour. :banghead:

I know Amazon replaced the original version of EY with an extended mix on the digital download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still dying to see the full, uncropped cover photo. The closest we have is this:

CjKLlfRWUAAmG79.jpg

a3221e30e0e52686236ee35e41fb36f7.jpg

lapcov08.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I demand a boxset that comes with a "lamb"! (aka sacramental bread) :americanlife: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karbatal said:

 

Sometimes we complain that she doesn't get the recognition she deserves,  that people are rewriting history..... Well SHE IS PARTLY TO BLAME FOR NOT ACKNOWLEDGING HER OWN ACHIEVEMENTS. 

My thoughts exactly. I understand she got bored with her catalogue now and then, I guess that's normal. But she may have underestimated the impact this had on how she is seen today artistically. I remember a couple of interviews where she was ridiculing some of her work or numerous times when she was like ' I can't remember the words of that song' like it's something forgettable or was rolling her eyes at the mention of her past hits. I actually like how she is authentic about this and not all controlled and calculating. But it definitely did some damage. 

Ok, back to topic, I soooo hope the have planned something for the LAP anniversary, it's still my favorite M record, after so many years. Her Opus Magnum if you will, tho that term doesn't really apply to her discography cause there are so many stand out records. But LAP should be treated like an Opus Magnum, it's a classic trough and through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, karbatal said:

Yes 

It deserves a proper release.  It's her trademark album.  And the tour (I consider BAT the LAP tour)  too.  

Box with remastered,  with dvd,  with a documentary about the impact,  and of course demos and rarities.  

Sometimes we complain that she doesn't get the recognition she deserves,  that people are rewriting history..... Well SHE IS PARTLY TO BLAME FOR NOT ACKNOWLEDGING HER OWN ACHIEVEMENTS. 

But if she spent all her time promoting her past accomplishments, she would never be able to move on to anything new. Part of the reason she has been so creative for so long is that she doesn't spend time looking back but focuses on the next thing. Suppose she just sat around thinking how great her debut was, we would never have gotten Like A Prayer or Ray of Light.

She likely feels she should just put her work out there and leave it to fans and critics to decide for themselves how brilliant it or isn't.

I don't understand the frenzy that people here have for reissues. As someone said we all have the cd and there really aren't unreleased things to add on. 

And I don't think it's true the brilliance of LAP hasn't been acknowledged. It has been on many best lists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SPM said:

I'm still dying to see the full, uncropped cover photo. The closest we have is this:

CjKLlfRWUAAmG79.jpg

a3221e30e0e52686236ee35e41fb36f7.jpg

lapcov08.jpg

:bow:

Adore everything, the LAP photoshoot was truly stellar.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

 As someone said we all have the cd....

That was me taking the piss out of dafties coming in and saying...well....what you just said.

I just can't get my head around the excuses people come up with for the disregard that's shown to Madonna's back catalogue. Crazy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

That was me taking the piss out of dafties coming in and saying...well....what you just said.

I just can't get my head around the excuses people come up with for the disregard that's shown to Madonna's back catalogue. Crazy.

 

I honestly don't get it when people go on about the disregard for her catalogue. All her old music is available on iTunes, Spotify etc. Why people are so eager to buy something they already have and have heard a million times is beyond me.  Some artists try to milk their fans dry with endless reissues. They do it for the money because they are no longer creating anything new, not because they are so committed to their legacy. I honestly don't see the point. I have never bought any reissue of an older album unless it has previously unheard stuff. Why does everyone want to live in the past? And if you do, just listen to your old cd's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

 

I'd also like to see something done with Ray of Light next year, I know it won't happen, but I can dream. 

Would also appreciate & love a special anniversary edition for ROL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She ain't got time for that! Remember the True Blue 30th anniversary? We'll get a crappy t-shirt and lithograph! NEXT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

I honestly don't get it when people go on about the disregard for her catalogue. All her old music is available on iTunes, Spotify etc. Why people are so eager to buy something they already have and have heard a million times is beyond me.  Some artists try to milk their fans dry with endless reissues. They do it for the money because they are no longer creating anything new, not because they are so committed to their legacy. I honestly don't see the point. I have never bought any reissue of an older album unless it has previously unheard stuff. Why does everyone want to live in the past? And if you do, just listen to your old cd's. 

I seem to recall having this very same conversation a couple of weeks ago.

Look, Madonna's CDs are reprinted often (from the same old masters) We do not go out and buy every printing like lemmings. We are talking about them giving us something new and worth buying. Like a Prayer is a very low and dated master. The Japanese realised this and did some reissues with the decibel level pumped up and some subtle faux remastering. They sound great. A REAL remastering (from a decent pro engineer) could sound even better. We don't know what is or isn't in the vaults. Love Attack? First is a Kiss? Demos? Instrumentals? Alternate versions? Pristine videos from the master tapes?

Some people labour under this artsy-fartsy misapprehension that Madonna the artiste would never deign to look back on the songs that built her name in case it somehow sullies her modern masterpieces like Hard Candy and MDNA.. That somehow embracing a body of work (which surely is what BUILT this fan base in the first place) is beneath her.

What a load of rubbish. Leaving her work to languish in the past gathering dust (literally....in fact weren't some of her master tapes found in a dumpster somewhere a few years back?) does both she and music fans of the past, present and future a great disservice. Like all ART, music also deserves to be preserved and restored and displayed (listened to) in new ways for new generations.

The cassettes and vinyl and first generation CDs and VHS tapes and crap iTunes m4as are there for you to stick with forevermore. You don't have to buy anything new... but I bet you WILL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

But if she spent all her time promoting her past accomplishments, she would never be able to move on to anything new. Part of the reason she has been so creative for so long is that she doesn't spend time looking back but focuses on the next thing. Suppose she just sat around thinking how great her debut was, we would never have gotten Like A Prayer or Ray of Light.

She likely feels she should just put her work out there and leave it to fans and critics to decide for themselves how brilliant it or isn't.

I don't understand the frenzy that people here have for reissues. As someone said we all have the cd and there really aren't unreleased things to add on. 

And I don't think it's true the brilliance of LAP hasn't been acknowledged. It has been on many best lists. 

There's a half way.  You can create a lot,  even perform only new songs in your tours and yet remember special anniversaries with lots of goodies.  What would have been the harm of celebrating every 30 years of her albums with boxes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kim said:

You already have Like a Prayer on CD, It says "digital recording" on the front. Remasters sound crap anyway. No one will buy it.  If Madonna wanted to add extra songs she would have done it at the time. Madonna doesn't live in the past. Be thankful she is still making music.  ETC ETC :bad::madgemanson:

I wondered about the digital recording thing to. As it's a digital recording then is remastering it pointless? I'd love decent special edition, everyone of madonnas status has had decent reissues, however some of these people then make a career of reissues in place of new releases. That said I'd kill for her 80's back catalogue to be reissued as special editions, even up to Erotica. Beyond that a lot of the stuff is freely available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Suedehead said:

That's right. We need to start lobbying Guy O, Warner, Madonna and whoever else is involved by the start of 2018 in order to ensure we have a proper release in 2019. 

 

So our plotting, scheming and planning starts here. Offici-ally.

 

Unless Guy could make a gym out of it he won't care. If he says anything different he's lying, because we all know he's a liar. And as her manager, judging by the trajectory of her career chart wise, he's hopefully out of touch and should step aside. My dog could've made a better job marketing Rebel Heart, and the PR bumps with the tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mattvoyager said:

I wondered about the digital recording thing to. As it's a digital recording then is remastering it pointless? 

I was being facetious in that post, but no, remastering wouldn't be pointless. A talented engineer could do just about anything with access to the original masters (I was going to say make it sound like it was recorded yesterday, but people would complain about that too :bad:)  

They were just making a big thing out of using what was new technology back then...jumping from analogue to digital. It's like using phrases like 'Hi-Fidelity' these days... means nothing in 2017.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god yes. It's time for her and her team to do something like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mattvoyager said:

Unless Guy could make a gym out of it he won't care. If he says anything different he's lying, because we all know he's a liar. And as her manager, judging by the trajectory of her career chart wise, he's hopefully out of touch and should step aside. My dog could've made a better job marketing Rebel Heart, and the PR bumps with the tour.

He could make a whole chain of gyms!  

Like a Twerk 

Strain Yourself 

Love dong (for the promiscuous gays)  

Till Sore Do Us Part 

Promise to try (harder) 

Chemies 

Dear Biceps 

Oh Shower 

Keep It To Leggings 

Pray For Vanilla Shakes 

Act of Contrition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mattvoyager said:

I wondered about the digital recording thing to. As it's a digital recording then is remastering it pointless? I'd love decent special edition, everyone of madonnas status has had decent reissues, however some of these people then make a career of reissues in place of new releases. That said I'd kill for her 80's back catalogue to be reissued as special editions, even up to Erotica. Beyond that a lot of the stuff is freely available.

The master is dated and lacking in bass (don't get me wrong, I love the album), a remaster can still change how a digital recording sounds. They can change all sorts of levels, in fact it should be easier to do as there would be no tape to work from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×