MadonnaNation.com Forums
rocknrolla

Songs you were surprised that Madonna sang?

rocknrolla    0

Are then any songs were surprised that Madonna sang?

I remember watching the movie At Close Range and remember being fascinated by the song Live to Tell.  I didn't know Madonna sang it, I just thought it was some song made for the movie.  It was only years later that I was going through her old albums in the early 90s I found out that Madonna sang it and was completely blown away!

Another one was Angel.  I must've heard it on the radio before a few times, I knew I had heard it before but never knew it was her.

Jazzy Jan    0

I am answering this by default but my cousin always thought "You'll see"  was a Celine Dion song !   It come on in my car and she told me she loved that song and that it was the only Celine song she loved.  When I told her it was Madonna, she was all confused. She knows Madonna songs and enjoys them so it was strange to say but was funny. 

karbatal    0

When I was a kid I didn't know Holiday was hers!!!!  I got the LAV and TB albums but in Spain Holiday was never released. It was released the Holiday Rap with those rappers.  So when I bought the First Album and holiday played it was a super mega boom in my head! 

stijn    0

The Holiday rap was also a huge hit in Belgium😀😀😀

Kurt420    0

IC was my "formal" introduction to Madonna and honestly, I was shocked the same woman that sings JML, Vogue and LAP also sang soooooo many songs I had loved for years like LAV, Borderline, LS, MG, CFY etc etc etc etc EEETTTCC!!!

Lolo    0

I only had the chance to buy the First Album in 1990 and was completely shook that Holiday and Borderline were Madonna songs. 

Paul    0

So, I became a fan with the True Blue album. Around that time, everyone seemed to be doing covers of Love Don't Live Here Anymore, and I knew I kind of liked the song and it was familiar but I couldn't place it. Everyone told me it was originally from the 70s, which meant nothing to me. It wasn't until about late 1987 that I bought the first two albums and bam! there was that song exactly as I had it in my mind all that time.

karbatal    0
3 hours ago, stijn said:

I guess the Holiday rap was much more successful in Europe than the real holiday!!!!  Until Like a Virgin Madonna was pretty nonexistent in Europe. 

Hollywood and Love Profusion. I heard them a lot on the radio here in Belgium and i just loved them. I had no idea who sang them. Back then i wasn't into music that much so i just happened to hear songs on the radio and sometimes some of them catched my attention. Those 2 songs were among them.

Years later, when i started to get into music, i became interested in Madonna and listened to her whole discography. I was shocked to see that not only she was the one singing those 2 songs but that they were on the same album! I was so happy.

LVX    0

Girl Gone Wild

Turn Up the Radio

B-Day Song

Hey You

Not a pleasant surprise either...

Pedro    0

Oops being here for her since the 80s and having MTV at the same time as the US, it was very difficult to not know almost immediately every M song. 

What almost always happened was when out of the blue a new, fresh, different, engaging sounding song premiered and I was like: oh who is this? And the answer was always Madonna!!! 

todsmod    0
4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Oops being here for her since the 80s and having MTV at the same time as the US, it was very difficult to not know almost immediately every M song. 

What almost always happened was when out of the blue a new, fresh, different, engaging sounding song premiered and I was like: oh who is this? And the answer was always Madonna!!! 

Same here (we're old)!!  Been a fan since the beginning.  With MTV and radio, it was easy to know that distinctive Madonna sound.  Plus, I always knew when something new was coming and was the first in line to purchase.

Pedro    0
3 minutes ago, todsmod said:

Same here (we're old)!!  Been a fan since the beginning.  With MTV and radio, it was easy to know that distinctive Madonna sound.  Plus, I always knew when something new was coming and was the first in line to purchase.

I know... 

:old:

In line to purchase vs now on line to download... 

:rotfl:

Well one thing that I don't miss is the daily visits to the record shop until they finally got them, but loved the response: yes got it today let me check on the back!!! Happiest day ever! 

todsmod    0

@Pedro I do miss those days of record buying vs online downloading/ordering.  The build-up to release date....what excitement.  

Pedro    0
6 minutes ago, todsmod said:

@Pedro I do miss those days of record buying vs online downloading/ordering.  The build-up to release date....what excitement.  

Me too! All the people going at midnight to get their first copies, all the displays, the posters, cutouts, all the screens on the store and her music on the sound system, and the best; leaving the store with a little piece of Madonna in your hands, the unwrapping and listening... 

those were the days! 

❤️

Orion    0

I didn't know Holiday was hers :laugh:

ITG    0
8 hours ago, todsmod said:

Totally! We always had magazine & newspaper promos or reviews before the albums were released....and without fail her release dates were always pushed back (in Australia anyway), so when I went to the record store I was always so disappointed.

That being said, I loved the days of finishing school, going home, jumping on my bike and racing down the street peddling like a mad fucker to get her new releases.

There was a certain feeling you got which does not compete with the digital age which is sad.

MrK1ngB33    0

Whatswiththisholiday rap? Would like to know how they got rights to the music 

vocalism    0

Hmmm, I don't remember personally ever being surprised to discover that a song I knew was sung by Madonna, but I do remember my sister and I thought this was an early Madonna song:

Also, I dated a younger guy a few years back and there were LOTS of songs he knew but didn't realize were Madonna - "Holiday" is the only one I can remember off the top of my head. 

Nikki    0

you'll see

i heard the song on mtv madonna weekend and was surprised M made it. i love it but it's still so underrated today. such a strong chorus

oh and i also remember hearing holiday as a child and thinking it's the coolest song ever not knowing it's a M  song

vocalism    0

^ "You'll See" is definitely the song that when it came out I was surprised to discover it was Madonna. It didn't sound like her to me at the time. I also didn't think "Secret" sounded like Madonna, but I knew it was because I was waiting for the radio premiere.

Nikki    0
16 hours ago, stijn said:

i heard it on the radio recently thinking some new group covered her again

Queen Vika    0

None, it's impossible not to recognise that beautiful voice :inlove:

i used to watch Vh1 as a kid and they would sometimes play a snippet of Human Nature and Secret as background music for their TV specials, it wasn't til much later that i found out she sang them.