Ugly Hecty

Matthew Modine remembers Madonna in "Vision Quest"

26 posts in this topic

Matthew Modine Remembers Madonna's 'Vision Quest' Scene: 'She Looked Like Boy George'

1985 was the year a rising pop star named Madonna went supernova thanks to her starring role in the hit comedy Desperately Seeking Susan and her first blockbuster North American concert tour. But the singer didn’t look like the next big music sensation when she turned up on the set of the high school wrestling movie Vision Quest — which was released in February 1985, two months before Susan and the Virgin Tour — to film a small role as a nightclub singer serenading the movie’s stars, Matthew Modine and Linda Fiorentino.

“She looked like Boy George,” Modine tells Yahoo Movies. “The producers were saying this girl was going to be such a big star, but I remember people not really being impressed.” Even her songs left listeners cold. First, she performed the largely forgotten “Gambler,” followed by “Crazy for You,” which has since become a staple of proms around the world, but slightly underwhelmed listeners at the time. “We thought, ‘Oh, that’s a sweet song,‘” Modine says of hearing that slow dance anthem for the first time.

Within a year, though, the actor discovered just how big a star Madonna had become. While visiting Rome to discuss a potential film role, Modine saw a giant poster of the singer’s face, with “Crazy for You” printed in Italian. “I thought, ‘Oh, she must be doing a concert here.’ But then I looked at the poster a little bit closer and at the bottom I saw myself [in a scene from the film] with my arms in the air. The movie had gone from being a Matthew Modine movie that Madonna was in to a Madonna movie that Matthew Modine was in! That’s how fate would have it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/matthew-modine-remembers-madonnas-vision-quest-scene-looked-like-boy-george-210407018.html

What a change of pace only two years make. Movies she only made cameos & supporting parts in (this & Desperately SeekingSusan) became THE Madonna movies. The power of a superstar (available on MDNA).

What a movie killer!! :rotfl:

“The producers were saying this girl was going to be such a big star, but I remember people not really being impressed.” Even her songs left listeners cold. First, she performed the largely forgotten “Gambler,” followed by “Crazy for You,” which has since become a staple of proms around the world, but slightly underwhelmed listeners at the time.

KIq8HWdwLbjEI.gifKIq8HWdwLbjEI.gif

Damn, I kinda thought he'd say something good for some reason. 

Boy George?

I thought the same thing but when I re-read the article, it was not Matthew who made those specific comments about Gambler and Crazy for you but the writer.  He mentioned she looked like Boy George but I think he was referring to her hair. 

I think she was incredibly wasted in that movie.  You could hardly see her and Crazy for you and Gambler should have had proper videos with Madonna centre stage and not have her featured as some blurry background singer. 

Damn....while I do think he truly likes and respects Madonna.....why does it seem like lately EVERY comment a celeb makes about her has at the very least, a hint of shade....or is just downright SHADE! 

I don't think he's being shady. He's just saying honestly what he thought at the time......then his lead role in a movie became a Madonna movie and she was in it for 2 minutes :lmao:

10 minutes ago, ITG said:

I don't think he's being shady. He's just saying honestly what he thought at the time......then his lead role in a movie became a Madonna movie and she was in it for 2 minutes :lmao:

MTE!

Also, I bought and watched the movie a couple months ago and thought Matthew was pretty hot. :inlove:

31 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Damn....while I do think he truly likes and respects Madonna.....why does it seem like lately EVERY comment a celeb makes about her has at the very least, a hint of shade....or is just downright SHADE! 

Kurt, I could be wrong but I think that a lot of his comments could have been left out.  The article was very choppy and his comments were meshed with the writer's comments.  The whole talk about Crazy for you being used for proms and Gambler being forgotten were the writer's comments.   If I am correct,  they used the whole trick of adding what they think in between what the celebrity was saying, hence the use of opinions in between the" "  quotes from the celebrity.  I feel that the writer was making the article bitchy about her.   

1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Kurt, I could be wrong but I think that a lot of his comments could have been left out.  The article was very choppy and his comments were meshed with the writer's comments.  The whole talk about Crazy for you being used for proms and Gambler being forgotten were the writer's comments.   If I am correct,  they used the whole trick of adding what they think in between what the celebrity was saying, hence the use of opinions in between the" "  quotes from the celebrity.  I feel that the writer was making the article bitchy about her.   

True! It does kinda seem that way. Don't get me wrong, I definitely am not suggesting he's a hater at all but......and actually, Boy George was "pretty" back then anyways....lol.....so not a diss at all really.

34 minutes ago, ITG said:

Yes I think so too. It's a funny story and no one's fault really. Just underlines how big she has become. 

23 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

True! It does kinda seem that way. Don't get me wrong, I definitely am not suggesting he's a hater at all but......and actually, Boy George was "pretty" back then anyways....lol.....so not a diss at all really.

:lol: Yes,  Boy George was pretty in his day.  I loved his look plus his music and voice with Culture Club. 

I just thought this article was like several I have read over the years.  One was an interview with Stuart Price where people thought he was trashing Madonna by saying Kylie was more intelligent or something similar.  When he said no such thing. He always speaks so highly of Madonna.   The bitchy writer who obviously was a Madonna hater,  put his two cents in and did it in between Stuart's comments.  They were his words, not Stuart's.   Ditto with an article once with Diana Agron from Glee. They were talking about the Madonna episode and the writer put his nasty comments in between hers.  She was actually very complimentary about Madonna but the whole Madonna mention come across badly due to his unnecessary views.  

It's not shade at all! He's describing the rise of Madonna through his experience.

And sometimes Madonna looked like Boy George, they were in the same aesthetic vein. It's not an insult.

mad3.jpg

mad7.jpg

I think it's the demo...

TRIVIA: Modine did the movie 'The Real Blonde' in 1997, in which he plays a struggling actor
trying to get a part in a Madonna video.

A third Madonna song that was recorded for the Vision Quest soundtrack, Warning Signs, was eventually dropped from the project. A cassette copy of the song, which is also credited to Madonna alone, was submitted to the Library of Congress for copyright registration in February of 1984, at the same time as Gambler.

With Stephen Bray having confirmed his involvement in the song’s production (which he described as “a cool synth track”), it appears that its production credits would mirror those of Gambler, which was produced by Jellybean Benitez and arranged by Bray. Given that early press for Vision Quest (including an on-set interview with Madonna herself) mentioned the inclusion of three new songs, footage of Madonna performing Warning Signs was likely filmed but ended up on the cutting room floor. Surprisingly, this additional footage has never resurfaced and the song has never leaked.

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2016/02/15/today-in-madonna-history-february-15-1985/

7 minutes ago, jtrover said:

bce414181bb0e6e394b964b5dad517dc.jpg

Terrible translation:lol: Pazzo or pazza di te is more used and correct in italian.

9 minutes ago, jtrover said:

:biggrin:

2 hours ago, jtrover said:

Omg that drawing, :rotfl:

I can see DSS being regarded as a "Madonna movie"- her character name is in the title, and she did have a decent amount of screen time (though not as much as R. Arquette, which makes sense, as she was the one seeking Susan) - but not Vision Quest:crazy:

16 hours ago, HolidayGuy said:

I can see DSS being regarded as a "Madonna movie"- her character name is in the title, and she did have a decent amount of screen time (though not as much as R. Arquette, which makes sense, as she was the one seeking Susan) - but not Vision Quest:crazy:

In Japan the title is Searching for Madonna's Susan. They really wanted to put her name in the title!!