Ugly Hecty

Andy Cohen's "Then & Now" on Madonna: 1985 & 1990

46 posts in this topic

This aired on Bravo last night. It was a very good pop culture special on 1985 and Madonna was the first topic covered and the most referenced person of the night, of course!

Last night's episode focused on Madonna's massive success & fame in 1985. It was a VERY good episode, pretty much positive from start to end!

Important tidbits:

1. Kristin Chenoweth STANNED hard & wore her hairstyle to prom. And the word "virgin" made her nervous.

2. Rosie Perez talks about how she met her & Jellybean Benitez at the clubs.

3. RuPaul thought her marriage to Sean Penn was a smart move as it added a "romance" to her music and look. The romance was the next element. He said Madonna has made every smart move in her career.

4. Jonathan Scheach reveals he dated Madonna & "slept with her".

5. Rosanna Arquette talks about how Madonna's success exploded tenfold and their experience at a Prince concert being surrounded by crowds. She was also at Madonna & Sean's wedding.

6. Lisa Rinna praises & admires her reinvention, strength, and business smarts, and ability to to do it all & being able to work as a woman in the industry at any age.

Nile Rodgers spilled A LOT of good tea in this video.

1. Madonna had emotion, which he said you can't fix compared to pitch and rhythm.

2. He reveals why he never slept with Madonna.

3. Most importantly, he reveals why Madonna didn't do the finale at Live Aid:

"Madonna chose to not be part of the finale because they had dissed her at We Are The World. The night they did that recording, I was with Madonna in Los Angeles and I was going to the studio because I was invited by Michael & Quincy." Andy asks: "Why didn't they invite Madonna?" Then Nile says: "Because they didn't think she could sing. It broke her heart.":sadface:

I never knew this before. She still won in the end with "Crazy For You" knocking off "We Are The World" from #1 in the end, their LOSS!

Next week's episode will focus on 1990 and "Vogue" will be covered on there as well.

I am so excited to watch this! It's on my DVR.

1 hour ago, Ugly Hecty said:

"Madonna chose to not be part of the finale because they had dissed her at We Are The World. The night they did that recording, I was with Madonna in Los Angeles and I was going to the studio because I was invited by Michael & Quincy." Andy asks: "Why didn't they invite Madonna?" Then Nile says: "Because they didn't think she could sing. It broke her heart.":sadface:

I never knew this before. She still won in the end with "Crazy For You" knocking off "We Are The World" from #1 in the end, their LOSS!

"CFY" knocked "WATW" out of the top spot and nabbed her a Grammy nod for Best Female Vocal Performance, which is so delicious since "they didn't think she could sing." Eat it, haters.

I feel like they didn't invite her to sing on watw cause they knew she would steel the show. She'd outshine them all.  She'd get all the attention and press for it. They felt threatened by her star quality and charisma. Nothing to do with her vocal ability.

She knocked WATW out of the top spot, she got a Grammy nomination for "Best female VOCAL performance" and she was higher than WATW on Billboard's 1985 year end chart (Crazy For You was #9 while WATW was #20), so she definitely dissed them back.

14 minutes ago, spotlight said:

I feel like they didn't invite her to sing on watw cause they knew she would steel the show. She'd outshine them all.  She'd get all the attention and press for it. They felt threatened by her star quality and charisma. Nothing to do with her vocal ability.

Besides that, what was in everyone's mind when they heard or saw WATW???

WHERE THE FUCK IS MADONNA?!?!?!

Her absence was bigger than anybody's presence. 

Just now, Pedro said:

Besides that, what was in everyone's mind when they heard or saw WATW???

WHERE THE FUCK IS MADONNA?!?!?!

Her absence was bigger than anybody's presence. 

Exactly 

I NEED THE VIDEO OF THIS EPISODE!

Nile Rogers refusing to fuck Madonna is so impolite. No thanks baby i'm gay..

THE VIDEO

NOW.

Really want to see this.  Re We are the World, it was dreadful how Madonna was snubbed from being a performer on that record.  It was painfully obvious.   Cyndi Lauper sang on it so current new stars were represented so how could they ignore Madonna ? It was a deliberate snub because Madonna was the biggest star everywhere.  If I remember correctly, they all went after the American music awards or in the same week to record so that the majority of big stars were in the same area. .  I also think that Molly Meldrum mentioned it and alluded to Madonna being unfairly over-looked in his Humdrum segment on Countdown.  Madonna has been treated dreadfully by the Music Industry since she become famous.  She never received the recognition and awards in the 80's that a star of her magnitude deserved and I also think that is part of the reason why she is so accepting and maternal to the young female stars of today.  Just my take on it. 

Wel she got the last laugh 

everyone lives and remembers CFY 

3 hours ago, Like2Watch said:

Nile Rogers refusing to fuck Madonna is so impolite. No thanks baby i'm gay..

i like nile but always thought it was a little weird to say that. maybe he didnt think it through.

Didn't realize she was snubbed for the dreadful we are the world. 

Thank god she didn't do we are the world, it was so cringe and crap.

So glad she wasn't part of that cheese-fest named WATW.  Around that time I started to think she was different and cool.

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

i like nile but always thought it was a little weird to say that. maybe he didnt think it through.

Lucky bastard , had the chance but said no lol (i wish i was in his postion)

WATW crap song lmaoo. I thought Madonna didnt participate because MJ didnt want controversy. I never  thought it was because she would steal the spotlight. But now that i think of it makes sense . 

I've never heard of WATW outside of youtube tbh. CFY  is wayyy better

2 hours ago, Mmmmm said:

This.

2 hours ago, Mmmmm said:

Exactly

WATW was super massive when it was released but that was just momentary and had no staying power. Ever since then CFY has gone on to become a memorable iconic classic and always gets recurrent airplay. I never hear that WATW trash played anywhere since then. 

Who did not think she could sing? Quincy or Michael? And I don't like Nile spilling unnecessary tea to be honest.

10 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

This aired on Bravo last night. It was a very good pop culture special on 1985 and Madonna was the first topic covered and the most referenced person of the night, of course!

Last night's episode focused on Madonna's massive success & fame in 1985. It was a VERY good episode, pretty much positive from start to end!

Important tidbits:

1. Kristin Chenoweth STANNED hard & wore her hairstyle to prom. And the word "virgin" made her nervous.

2. Rosie Perez talks about how she met her & Jellybean Benitez at the clubs.

3. RuPaul thought her marriage to Sean Penn was a smart move as it added a "romance" to her music and look. The romance was the next element. He said Madonna has made every smart move in her career.

4. Jonathan Scheach reveals he dated Madonna & "slept with her".

5. Rosanna Arquette talks about how Madonna's success exploded tenfold and their experience at a Prince concert being surrounded by crowds. She was also at Madonna & Sean's wedding.

6. Lisa Rinna praises & admires her reinvention, strength, and business smarts, and ability to to do it all & being able to work as a woman in the industry at any age.

Nile Rodgers spilled A LOT of good tea in this video.

1. Madonna had emotion, which he said you can't fix compared to pitch and rhythm.

2. He reveals why he never slept with Madonna.

Next week's episode will focus on 1990 and "Vogue" will be covered on there as well.

:manson:

Typical

Especially with the lack of humbleness of some of those artists

It's ironic that she has more than proved she can sing and has just about outlasted and outfamed all of them

Thank goodness for the intelligence of Dick Clark that at the time was one of the few to stand up for her

Looking forward to watching this

3 hours ago, Mmmmm said:

This

And I appreciated she paid tribute to 9/11 victims in her own heartfelt way and did not join this blatant publicity opportunity for so many of the names involved

Madonna is above all of that

1 hour ago, Hector said:

WATW was super massive when it was released but that was just momentary and had no staying power. Ever since then CFY has gone on to become a memorable iconic classic and always gets recurrent airplay. I never hear that WATW trash played anywhere since then. 

Yes.  WATW was massive at the time with so many huge names participating. Yet it has been hardly talked about or remembered.  I always felt that so many wanted to outsing each other to an extent when I heard it.  On the other hand, "Do they know it's Christmas" the original charity single for famine relief run by  Bob Geldof has stayed famous and is always played at Christmas.  

17 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes.  WATW was massive at the time with so many huge names participating. Yet it has not been hardly talked about or remembered.  I always felt that so many wanted to outsing each other to an extent when I heard it.  On the other hand, "Do they know it's Christmas" the original charity single for famine relief run by  Bob Geldof has stayed famous and is always played at Christmas.  

This... Dtkic is in my top 5 Christmas ever. I hear it every year a few times at Xmas