MadonnaNation.com Forums
Orion

Is the RH era reminiscent of old school Madonna?

While I think it was a new era and another wonderful evolution for her, it also had an old school vibe to it.

1. TOUR: it reminded me so much of the Virgin/WTG tours, especially the second. The interaction with the audience, people singing along, the show itself was more of a "concert".
  2. HER WORK ETHIC: She gave her all in everything she did during the era....album, promotion, tour, the fabulous videos, she really FELT this whole era/project. The promo performances/interviews helped restoring and re-connecting her to the general public.
  3. THE MUSIC ITSELF: Her renewed inspiration is evident in the album/demos, musically this era was an explosion of creativity. The melodies, the bridges, the lyrics are all reminiscent of old school Madonna genius. Who creates a song like Inside Out or Wash All Over Me after 33 years of career and 12 studio albums? NO ONE. Some of her best work is in the RH album. Also, the album had something post-Music albums lacked: warmth. 
  4. LOOKS: The iconic looks/outfits/appearences/photoshoots were back, let's face it. How many iconic looks has she served during this era? It's unbelievable, from the brilliant matador reinvention to the controversial 2016 Met Gala. Not to mention that when I looked at some pictures I could recognize the LAV girl :clap::inlove: queen of never aging. 

Because of all of these points I think the people who bought RH will buy the next record and those who went to the RH Tour will go to the next tour for sure ;) so I would not worry about future continuing success.

I know we've been a little bit sad in Madonnaland these past few weeks because of some bitter divas dissing her and trying to re-write history....so I decided to look at the positive side of this (endless) RH era that will last forever in people's hearts, unlike those witches who are already forgotten (or were never remembered in the first place) :chuckle: :brenspin:

Do you agree? 

giphy.gif

Great post‼️

Yep, and I think it's exactly why it's my favorite era ever.  It gave me old school Madonna feels, but from a completely different perspective as a grown man.  It made me appreciate her so much more for the artist and woman she is, not just the superstar.  Even Madonna herself was in a retrospective mood, talking about her early days often.  It was nostalgic and fresh at the same time.  And she never looked better.  Just perfect.

The whole era was shockingly perfect!

It doesn't give me an old school Madonna feeling, but without any doubt it has been the most enjoyable in all aspects era for me, and I've been trough them all. 

I went trough some trying times previous to the launch of the album and during the tour, it became my only lifeline, shelter and source of happiness and inspiration, I will always be grateful that I had the extraordinary chance to experience this era the way I did, because of the way that she delivered the music, the concepts, the thought provoking and the way she delivered herself, her closeness and warmness. Concert wise it was my most amazing experience even after going to almost every other one and above what most of the fans consider to be her masterpieces. In a way it will always and forever remind me of my mom. 

It was so perfect that I got it "under my skin" for the rest of my life. 

IMG_4992.PNG

I've always loved Madonna, but the RH era made me obsessed with her. She took me to a new level of fandom.

It has made me dig deep and learn so much about her and her career that I didn't know.

Totally agree. Rebel Heart is the first Madonna album probably since Ray of light, that I'm still playing more than a year after its release. There are tracks on it that will hover on my playlists for years to come. The tour was fun and to begin with looked like she was having fun, but imo turned into PR disaster. I was at a concert in LA which was fun and one in Manchester England which was tough. But RH is one of the greats, although at 20 odd tracks there are a cpl of duds.

Edited by Mattvoyager

9 hours ago, Orion said:

While I think it was a new era and another wonderful evolution for her, it also had an old school vibe to it.

1. TOUR: it reminded me so much of the Virgin/WTG tours, especially the second. The interaction with the audience, people singing along, the show itself was more of a "concert".
  2. HER WORK ETHIC: She gave her all in everything she did during the era....album, promotion, tour, the fabulous videos, she really FELT this whole era/project. The promo performances/interviews helped restoring and re-connecting her to the general public.
  3. THE MUSIC ITSELF: Her renewed inspiration is evident in the album/demos, musically this era was an explosion of creativity. The melodies, the bridges, the lyrics are all reminiscent of old school Madonna genius. Who creates a song like Inside Out or Wash All Over Me after 33 years of career and 12 studio albums? NO ONE. Some of her best work is in the RH album. Also, the album had something post-Music albums lacked: warmth. 
  4. LOOKS: The iconic looks/outfits/appearences/photoshoots were back, let's face it. How many iconic looks has she served during this era? It's unbelievable, from the brilliant matador reinvention to the controversial 2016 Met Gala. Not to mention that when I looked at some pictures I could recognize the LAV girl :clap::inlove: queen of never aging. 

Because of all of these points I think the people who bought RH will buy the next record and those who went to the RH Tour will go to the next tour for sure ;) so I would not worry about future continuing success.

I know we've been a little bit sad in Madonnaland these past few weeks because of some bitter divas dissing her and trying to re-write history....so I decided to look at the positive side of this (endless) RH era that will last forever in people's hearts, unlike those witches who are already forgotten (or were never remembered in the first place) :chuckle: :brenspin:

Do you agree? 

giphy.gif

I think she looked a lot like the did in the Virgin tour.  Her long blonde hair and her face. So beautiful. 

Related imageImage result for madonna rebel heart tour on stage gifs

@Orion  Agree with you.   The way she interacted with the fans - the smiles and winks to the crowd etc is similar to Like a Virgin tour where she involved the crowd a lot.  Also the Rebel Heart album contained songs that had classic pop melodies and bridges.  Madonna's bridges in her songs are the best of anyone and the bridges on the Rebel Heart album were wonderful - Ghosttown. Inside out. Beautiful Scars, Body shop etc.  Loved all the promotion she did and as I said in above post, she looked incredible. 

The entire Rebel Heart project was very nostalgic and prophetic. It's one of the reasons why I love the album so much. Yes objectively speaking the production quality isn't the best but the record is like a time capsule and takes you through the different stages of her life. 

I've been a huge fan since mid 90's but the Rebel Heart era has completely reinvigorated my love and respect for her craft. It was such a solid album, and even the unreleased material stood on its own. I love how complex and diverse the songs are. There's something for everyone in this album. I thought Best Night was a brilliant and highly underrated song. I can honestly say it's an album that I pretty much always listen beginning to end and enjoy each song for what it is. 

Love most of  RH  era! 

Totally regret not seeing tour!😫

lol i feel like such a negative nancy but i felt the whole era was lemme try to be mature to see if that'll fix my image. the whole matador look had already been done by her, the first single wasnt at all epic, she looked bored everytime she performed ghosttown, the tour just seemed like a regurgitation of past tours. the era wasnt bad but it doesnt really surprise me nothing made an impact besides BIM. definitely rooted for her but for the first time i didnt feel her during an era. i did however fall in love with the interview with jimmy fallon where she threw away that boring image she was pushing for ghosttown. she genuinely looked like she was having fun which says a lot since the ghosttown video had just premiered thatweek and instead went for the Moschino/BIM vibe. i wonder how the era wouldve been had she gone with the original lead single Unapologetic Bitch.

8 minutes ago, Showdown said:

lol i feel like such a negative nancy but i felt the whole era was lemme try to be mature to see if that'll fix my image. the whole matador look had already been done by her, the first single wasnt at all epic, she looked bored everytime she performed ghosttown, the tour just seemed like a regurgitation of past tours. the era wasnt bad but it doesnt really surprise me nothing made an impact besides BIM. definitely rooted for her but for the first time i didnt feel her during an era. i did however fall in love with the interview with jimmy fallon where she threw away that boring image she was pushing for ghosttown. she genuinely looked like she was having fun which says a lot since the ghosttown video had just premiered thatweek and instead went for the Moschino/BIM vibe. i wonder how the era wouldve been had she gone with the original lead single Unapologetic Bitch.

Agree with every word

i dont want to sound like a hater, I just felt her personality was missing and like she was trying so hard to be mature. plus could she have diplo on the album yet use the most un-diplo sounding diplo song!? anyone couldve produced it! while LFL does have a timeless quality to it, that's what also unfortunately makes it not stick out. 

^  well, I have heard it all now. Madonna trying to be mature to fix her image. Madonna has always had multiple layers to her looks, songs and images. Plus I don't think she ever looked bored with Ghosttown plus she said in an interview that is was one of her favourite songs from the album.  One of Madonna's biggest strengths is how varied her music is.  She has always sang ballads since the 80's, nothing is mature about performing a ballad. 

Yes, the melodies are very old school on RH. 

10 hours ago, SPM said:

The whole era was shockingly perfect!

Yep. I am still loving the album and listen to it regularly. It contains some of the best music of her career. The tour was equally great, and Tears of a Clown? Incredible. Bring on the Blu-ray.

22 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

^  well, I have heard it all now. Madonna trying to be mature to fix her image. Madonna has always had multiple layers to her looks, songs and images. Plus I don't think she ever looked bored with Ghosttown plus she said in an interview that is was one of her favourite songs from the album.  One of Madonna's biggest strengths is how varied her music is.  She has always sang ballads since the 80's, nothing is mature about performing a ballad. 

she sure has had multiple layers and that's why i feel the way i do about this era, didnt feel genuine the way bedtime stories did after erotica, didnt feel like confessions after american life. and im sorry but she looked bored everytime she sang ghosttown, whether it was jonathan ross, ellen, or iheartradio with taylor swift. there's a reason why she ditched that as fast as she could. there's a reason why it wasnt on the setlist. just looking foward to this next era although this era feels never ending.

1 hour ago, jazzyjan said:

Tell them jazz....:clap: 

3 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

I think she looked a lot like the did in the Virgin tour.  Her long blonde hair and her face. So beautiful. 

Related imageImage result for madonna rebel heart tour on stage gifs

Yessssss :inlove: 

I LOVE this 

18199545_1655875201107054_4764017918943652045_n.jpg

She's truly the same person after all these years. :clap:

14 hours ago, Starman said:

I think her face looks very virgin era

It does. This era was so perfect. 

It was a perfect era. Such a shame the general public were not interested and all that effort didn't really pay off. She hasn't done this much promo since COAD in 2005 (and even that was less), the album had a ROL meets COAD vibe, the tour was one of her best and she looked like she had enjoyed herself a lot more than the last couple of tours. There was a degree of intimacy, warmth, connectivity, happiness, storyline and the massive effort being put into her album that the last couple of eras lacked. The past couple of eras seemed rush, quick two second promo, not much effort being put into the recording of the album, distant, not much connected to the album and rushing straight to tour, and cold. You can tell she really seemed a lot more connected and fond of her current work

Such a shame about the horrific artworks used for the singles, the single selection and the mishandled promo. 

6 hours ago, Showdown said:

6 hours ago, cynthia said:

Agree with every word

Once again,  people with less than 100 posts are negative. I don't have patience anymore. Fuck off.