MadonnaNation.com Forums
Roland Barthes

Express yourself demo leak (real ?)

runa    0

I'd die for an Oh Father demo.

Jazzy Jan    0

I don't know if it is a fake or real demo but it sounds fantastic. 

That makes me think that maybe the person who has these stems may also have the stems or the demo of "First is a kiss"....

jtrover    0

I absolutely love this! Never heard those vocal takes or harmonies before! Whether it's stems put together by a fan or not, there is definite never heard before music on this track that must be real. LEAK LEAK LEAK! I've wanted these stems forever!

Gâteau    0
8 hours ago, tasteinmen said:

I prefer the finished version

I second this. Sounds more powerful and polished. 

S.E.X.    0
12 hours ago, Kim said:

Now that I'm listening to it properly on headphones, I'm not sure.

I'm sure someone wlll ask Pat Leonard about it on IG.

It's probably an early, unmastered take. Maybe using some vocals discarded in later versions. You can easily tell it's an unprofessional mix of stems, due to the fact that the lead vocals, harmonies and background vocals are basically on the same volume.

Bill    0

OMG!!!!!!! I am in LOVE!!!  Her raw vocals.  God, I love her!

The background vocals on the chorus are REALLY HIGH, considering Madonna is a natural baritone AND sang them as well. If this is a fake, the pitch is way off.

Bill    0

Do we think there's more to come?  I mean, why just this ONE demo?

todsmod    0

I tend to believe it's an actual early recording with only her vocals.  Whatever it is, I'm kind of liking it.  I adore Donna & Nikki on backing vocals, but I also LOVE when M does her own backing vocals.

Shaun    0

Not sure if it's real or not, but I love it!

I tend to believe it's from Stems. When the Borderline ones leaked there were 2 vocal takes in the package. 

Gus    0

The vocals are definitely real, this is most probably made with the stems since the instrumental track sounds very polished and finished, the 'baby on your own' parts and the 'Cmon girls...' intro sound exactly like the album version, but the lead vocals sound very raw, i mean where else could the background vocals sung 100% by her come from if not from the stems...? 

Carta    0
On 14/05/2017 at 10:39 AM, ITG said:

Stephen Bray has the only demo of Express Yourself. He says he likes it better than what was eventually recorded.

Didn't he say that he has a different version that he likes better than the released version?  That doesn't mean that it's the demo - just that it's an alternative version.

Carta    0
On 14/05/2017 at 0:37 PM, Robin said:
  • stephen bray needs to release a Pre-Madonna part2!!!!:sneaky:

He's actually not allowed to.  He was asked at the time whether he planned to, but he said that anything recorded after Madonna signed with Warners was owned by them and he wasn't allowed to do anything with it.  He released Pre-Madonna without Madonna's approval (she tried to block its release), but as he shared ownership of the demos, so he was allowed to go ahead an release them, even without her permission.

vocalism    0

Someone remind me how/why she and Stephen had a falling out?

According to Boy Culture's Mathew Rettenmund, this is FAKE as fuck.

Robin    0
7 hours ago, Carta said:

He's actually not allowed to.  He was asked at the time whether he planned to, but he said that anything recorded after Madonna signed with Warners was owned by them and he wasn't allowed to do anything with it.  He released Pre-Madonna without Madonna's approval (she tried to block its release), but as he shared ownership of the demos, so he was allowed to go ahead an release them, even without her permission.

:banghead:

Je5u5    0
7 hours ago, vocalism said:

Someone remind me how/why she and Stephen had a falling out?

She banned him after he worked with Kylie for her 1990 album :IMG_1564:

Carta    0
22 hours ago, albertogerard said:

According to Boy Culture's Mathew Rettenmund, this is FAKE

I think the general consensus is that the vocals are all genuine (most of them definitely aren't from the album version), but the track itself is a reconstruction from stems (i.e. it's not an actual demo, but it's certainly something we've never heard before).

Like Jan, I find it fascinating!

1 hour ago, Carta said:

I think the general consensus is that the vocals are all genuine (most of them definitely aren't from the album version), but the track itself is a reconstruction from stems (i.e. it's not an actual demo, but it's certainly something we've never heard before).

Yeah, EY is one of my all time favorite things Madonna has ever done. As you siad, the demo is fake but the vocals are the real thing & I LOVE listening to them.

Illuminati    0
2 hours ago, Carta said:

Yes, totally agree. I wonder why some people call it "fake", only because it may not be a real demo. It's obviously Madonna's voice, both lead and harmonies, so it's a mix made with the stems. "Fake" sounds a bit off to me in this context.