Hector

Patti LuPone trashes Madonna's acting

485 posts in this topic

Why do people keep trolling this forum, expecting us to believe they are fans? Posting in only one thread with a negative tone? The internet may be stupid as a total, but this kind of naivety isn't cute any longer...

3 hours ago, Lolo said:

No. The way she commented on Madonna was extremely disrespectful and it doesn't happen all the time that 'cat fights' ( pretty much one sided fight, again) are so nasty and explicit in their choice of words. They only do it to Madonna, that's what we're furious about. I can't recall any other star that's get lashed at so heavily, I don't know why everyone thinks it's ok to do so. 

3 hours ago, Rebel Saviour said:

She is entitled to her opinion, but she was extremely rude and petty.She could just have said: I didn't like her in Evita and she isn't a great actress or something like that. She deserves the same rude treatment.

3 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

You seen to really want to paint Madonna in a negative light despite you saying you are not.  You previously said she throws shade more than any other diva.  Madonna has not had catfights with Mariah, Gaga or Cyndi Lauper.   This really bugs me about fans who want to paint Madonna as some kind of nasty bitch who rips into other female stars.  Nothing could be further from the truth. She praises most of the females that rubbish her.   The thing with Mariah was the most blown up piece of over-reaction I have seen.  The thing with Gaga - she was asked about Born this way sounding like Express Yourself.  She said the song was reductive.  She has never run Gaga down much at all - only demonstrated that she stole her song.  They are the only 2 examples people can use about Madonna and boy, do people twist them to portray her bady.  As for  Cyndi Lauper ?   When has Madonna ever said anything about Cyndi Lauper ?  There is no cat fight between Cyndi and Madonna.  Never has been.  

We have every right to criticise Patti.  She was vicious, nasty and petty.  She said Madonna was dead behind the eyes, a movie killer, should never be on film or stage.  Madonna gets criticised to death everywhere.  Do not tell people on a Madonna forum to not defend her.  It is the only place she is defended. 

All this!

And we are entitled to OUR OPINION!! Petty LeScunk is a disrespectful SHITE! 

Are we still talking about it ?

7 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

At the end of the day, our reactions can be summed up in this gif:

11661459.gif

😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

At the end of the day, our reactions can be summed up in this gif:

11661459.gif

😂😂😂😂

6 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

You seen to really want to paint Madonna in a negative light despite you saying you are not.  You previously said she throws shade more than any other diva.  Madonna has not had catfights with Mariah, Gaga or Cyndi Lauper.   This really bugs me about fans who want to paint Madonna as some kind of nasty bitch who rips into other female stars.  Nothing could be further from the truth. She praises most of the females that rubbish her.   The thing with Mariah was the most blown up piece of over-reaction I have seen.  The thing with Gaga - she was asked about Born this way sounding like Express Yourself.  She said the song was reductive.  She has never run Gaga down much at all - only demonstrated that she stole her song.  They are the only 2 examples people can use about Madonna and boy, do people twist them to portray her bady.  As for  Cyndi Lauper ?   When has Madonna ever said anything about Cyndi Lauper ?  There is no cat fight between Cyndi and Madonna.  Never has been.  

We have every right to criticise Patti.  She was vicious, nasty and petty.  She said Madonna was dead behind the eyes, a movie killer, should never be on film or stage.  Madonna gets criticised to death everywhere.  Do not tell people on a Madonna forum to not defend her.  It is the only place she is defended. 

This 100%.

Madonna doesn't trash other artists. It's a well known fact amongst fans. She never said a bad thing about anyone. If Gaga thought Madonna was mean spirited with her she should have looked at the Nicki Minaj and Lil Kim feud. Lil Kim went all out to destroy Nicki while Madonna praised Gaga since the very start. 

I would go as far as to say Madonna's possibly one of the few female artists out there who truly stands for other women. From Britney to Miley to Ariana to Katy Perry, etc... she is never afraid to share the spotlight with younger female  stars. We don't see Mariah or Janet or even Beyoncé doing that.

Patti LuPone is a Broadway legend - both as a singer/actress and as a First Class C**T - she's earned both titles through years of sustained effort and bitchiness.

She has never had any real success in movies - just bit parts and minor supporting roles. I just watched Driving Miss Daisy yesterday and had completely forgotten she was even in it as she has such a small role and is hardly memorable. In fact, I can't think of a single memorable film role she has ever had - something that cannot be said of Madonna. Funnily enough, despite her long career, she has appeared in fewer movies than Madonna.

I am sure she regards herself as the 'definitive' Eva Peron, so it is hardly surprising, being the nasty bitter bitch that she is, that she would come for Madonna's performance in the movie - especially with Andy Cohen's encouragement.

This is classic sour grapes syndrome.

12 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

I haven't had a chance to comment much in this forum. I've honestly just been so busy with work that I haven't had the time. Busy season.

But, this bitch got some headlines. It's really nothing more.

I understand the frustration, anger, and outrage over her comments. They're blatantly unfair, untrue, and just so mean spirited. But it's obvious to anyone as to where they're coming from given the trajectory of Patti's career. I mean, what's she known for right now? A guest stint on AHS as a holy rolling mother who gave her son bleach enema's and died by having a witch force to swallow the same bleach she tortured her son with. That's it. And quite honestly, would many individuals even recognize that it was the same person?

I haven't read through every page of this topic. And if I'm repeating things, pardon me. But while these comments go above and beyond anything Goldfrapp, Debbie Harry, and anyone else have said (Sorry, but Annie Lennox did NOT slam Madonna) they still say more about Patti LuPone than Madonna. What Patti said isn't about Madonna's role in Evita, they're about Madonna as whole. And this is nothing new. Nothing new to any Madonna fan who has followed her since she burst onto the scene and has been proving people like this wrong every single step of the way.

I wasn't worried about her legacy being 'erased' in 1992, 2004, and I'm certainly not worried about it now. Madonna transcends generations and pop culture in ways that her detractors could only dream of doing. And nothing Patti fucking LuPone says is going to change that. Ever. 

Normally, I'd agree with you. I'm usually the first one to think "whatever..." when I hear the latest idiot slagging off Madonna, but I think it's a bit telling that several of us (me included) are now realising how insidious this type of shit can be in this new 'fake news' world we live in now. 

Keep telling people something often enough, and they slowly start to believe it. It's a well-worn trick, but one that's so much easier now. 

It wasn't so easy back in '92 or '04 to repaint history and say LAP was a shit record or BA was a pathetic tour, or ROL was a flop comeback. These days, you CAN ret-con history. The Superbowl being a prime example - in reality one of the undoubted highlights and triumphs of Madonna's later career that in the mainstream consciousness slowly started to be eroded I noticed a few years back...up to it now reduced to "one of the worst" if not excised altogether from history.

A major film studio jumping on a Madonna biopic with a script so full of historical inaccuracies but chock full of tales of Madonna as a gold-digging slut? Fuck that. 

And here we have Evita, definitely Madonna's best foray into film-making and certainly a critical success being presented as something else by the media reporting this story. "Broadway legend, award-winning queen Diva slays Madonna etc etc"  If that keeps up. then yes, soon enough Evita will be added to the Turkey list. At one time I'd have said that was impossible, but now I realise anything can happen.

To the idiots who "haven't seen this anywhere" - BBC, abcnews, people, reporter, CNN, eonline, LATimes, vulture, vanityfair,  huffington, today, page6, wmagazine, ..and that's just the first page of Google. That's a lot of readers hearing about what this "legend" has to say about the piece of shit pop star who played 'her' role on film.

That Madonna's perverse fan base is full of many 'fans' that seem to hate her more then they love her (most of which we've excised from this forum over the years only for them to take up residence elsewhere to continue their invective) doesn't help. With friends/fans like those, who needs enemies indeed.

A few real life experiences the past year or two have also taught me if you can't beat pathetic keyboard warriors who set out to hurt and destroy, then get them back at their own game

Cut-price Madonna Towers no longer has a proper publicist, so Madonna maintains her dignified silence, and that's cool, but sometimes you need to fight back...and if she won't... then it's about time WE DID. 

7 minutes ago, Kim said:

Normally, I'd agree with you. I'm usually the first one to think "whatever..." when I hear the latest idiot slagging off Madonna, but I think it's a bit telling that several of us (me included) are now realising how insidious this type of shit can be in this new 'fake news' world we live in now. 

Keep telling people something often enough, and they slowly start to believe it. It's a well-worn trick, but one that's so much easier now. 

It wasn't so easy back in '92 or '04 to repaint history and say LAP was a shit record or BA was a pathetic tour, or ROL was a flop comeback. These days, you CAN ret-con history. The Superbowl being a prime example - in reality one of the undoubted highlights and triumphs of Madonna's later career that in the mainstream consciousness slowly started to be eroded I noticed a few years back...up to it now reduced to "one of the worst" if not excised altogether from history.

A major film studio jumping on a Madonna biopic with a script so full of historical inaccuracies but chock full of tales of Madonna as a gold-digging slut? Fuck that. 

And here we have Evita, definitely Madonna's best foray into film-making and certainly a critical success being presented as something else by the media reporting this story. "Broadway legend, award-winning queen Diva slays Madonna etc etc"  If that keeps up. then yes, soon enough Evita will be added to the Turkey list. At one time I'd have said that was impossible, but now I realise anything can happen.

To the idiots who "haven't seen this anywhere" - BBC, abcnews, people, reporter, CNN, eonline, LATimes, vulture, vanityfair,  huffington, today, page6, wmagazine, ..and that's just the first page of Google. That's a lot of readers hearing about what this "legend" has to say about the piece of shit pop star who played 'her' role on film.

That Madonna's perverse fan base is full of many 'fans' that seem to hate her more then they love her (most of which we've excised from this forum over the years only for them to take up residence elsewhere to continue their invective) doesn't help. With friends/fans like those, who needs enemies indeed.

A few real life experiences the past year or two have also taught me if you can't beat pathetic keyboard warriors who set out to hurt and destroy, then get them back at their own game

Cut-price Madonna Towers no longer has a proper publicist, so Madonna maintains her dignified silence, and that's cool, but sometimes you need to fight back...and if she won't... then it's about time WE DID. 

Unfortunately that's the era we live in. Every ass hole with an opinion has a platform now. That wont change any time soon. What does matter and is changeable is how much emphasis you personally put on it. You think Madonna is sitting around fretting about this - i doubt it. Nothing said or printed nowadays is any more outrageous than the Enquirer headlines back in the day . Its all just short term gumph and nonsense. it will wash away in a few months and her legacy will remain in tact by evidence of the work she has produced!

M's work will stand on its own. No one will really remember Patt. But M will be in art history text books for the next millennia. She's been trashed from day one, but of course she was right when she predicted "everyone will kiss my ass once I'm dead." Sad but true.

6 minutes ago, Crozzauk said:

Unfortunately that's the era we live in. Every ass hole with an opinion has a platform now. That wont change any time soon. What does matter and is changeable is how much emphasis you personally put on it. You think Madonna is sitting around fretting about this - i doubt it. Nothing said or printed nowadays is any more outrageous than the Enquirer headlines back in the day . Its all just short term gumph and nonsense. it will wash away in a few months and her legacy will remain in tact by evidence of the work she has produced!

Like I said, normally I'd agree, but I'm sensing something different and dangerous afoot these last few years, and I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it was pertinent. The way legends are immortalised in the future is not going to be the same as we've experienced in our generation, that much I know.

20 minutes ago, Kim said:

THIS.

Another thing that is becoming tired with this internetgeneration is the now mainstream use of the word SHADE.
Everything is shade, and 'OOOOOOooooh gurrl, the shade of it all.' Um no. It's one thing 4 two drag queens 2 read each other up and down a room, but talking unmerited shit about someone in sucha heinous manner doesnt mean you're being clever or that ur throwing shade, it just means ur an venomous asshole... .

RE: EVITA. I know 4 those who lived through Madonna's career from day one, EVITA was the true pré-ROL rebirth, after the backlash years, and a new start after her classic '84-'91-era...So I get that this is personal.

I miss Liz....and her one liners to the press.

2 hours ago, acko said:

I know 4 those who lived through Madonna's career from day one, EVITA was the true pré-ROL rebirth, after the backlash years, and a new start after her classic '84-'91-era...So I get that this is personal.

Absolutely. After years of constant bashing she was finally getting praise. It was a beautiful time. 

3 hours ago, Kim said:

:clap:  Brilliant.  Everything you say is spot on 100 %  

Have also noticed in the last few hours looking onlline, that Petty Lepen is now being praised and elevated to a level that she does not deserve.  Was not expecting that but I should of.   People saying what a legend she is etc - people who would not even know who she was.  She is being praised and applauded as the ultimate Evita while Madonna is ridiculed.  Have people even looked at the footage shown of her screeching through the Evita songs ?   I thought people would not take notice of what she would say because she is basically unknown to most of the GP but it has shocked me that all of a sudden she is this great expert.  All because she trashed Madonna.  

I am so used to Madonna being rubbished through the years - God knows I whinge about it enough on this forum -but it is true, the internet is full of untruths and left out information that now seems to be easier to find than the truth.  Trying to find information, articles etc from the past on Madonna is also increasingly difficult. Things I remember completely in detail are no-where to be found online and people always want "evidence"  etc.    With younger people who did not live through these times,  they can be easily influenced.  Also not only the Superbowl, but I have now seen Desperately Seeking Susan being described as a flop on blogs etc.  A low budget romantic comedy that was a major hit and loved by so many is now being re-written as some minor indie movie flop because it did not match big budget films such as Back to the future.  

3 hours ago, acko said:

THIS.

Another thing that is becoming tired with this internetgeneration is the now mainstream use of the word SHADE.
Everything is shade, and 'OOOOOOooooh gurrl, the shade of it all.' Um no. It's one thing 4 two drag queens 2 read each other up and down a room, but talking unmerited shit about someone in sucha heinous manner doesnt mean you're being clever or that ur throwing shade, it just means ur an venomous asshole... .

RE: EVITA. I know 4 those who lived through Madonna's career from day one, EVITA was the true pré-ROL rebirth, after the backlash years, and a new start after her classic '84-'91-era...So I get that this is personal.

True about the word "Shade"   It has become just like the word "relevant"  in the way that it is so incorrectly used.  How can someone bucketing someone and completely ridiculing their talent like Petty LePen has done to Madonna be "shade"   It is straight out venom as you say.

10 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

True about the word "Shade"   It has become just like the word relevant"  in the way that it is so incorrectly used.  How can someone bucketing someone and completely ridiculing their talent like Petty LePen has done to Madonna be "shade"   It is straight out venom as you say.

I find shady people pathetic and insecure. (Hello Mariah :lol:) Confident people don't need to put others down. It's a pity that our society glorifies this kind of behaviour and makes shade seem cool when it's not.

well like all the panned shit-storms M has endured....she'll critically make it through

like was stated from Erotica/Sex to Evita/Ray Of Light...from American Life to Confessions

from Hard Candy to Rebel Heart....she'll take the high road against the fuckers

remember being told Elton said she doesn't have a chance in hell to win GG for Masterpiece...

9 hours ago, acko said:

I’m sorry but this is not ‘just someone who’s entitled tot their opinion. And it’s not about personal taste either. Weather you like musicals or not, the original Broadway score or the London cast or this movie in particular…. It’s all irrelevant, because the quality speaks for itself. It’s obvious 2 anyone who knows anything about movies.

Furthermore Madonna and Alan Parker managed to turn a one-dimensional musical-character into a full fledged human being, set to pre recorded music!

That’s an incredible feat

As for Patti, this is about HATE and JEALOUSY.

No wonder Webber fired that cunt in the early 90’s from Sunset Boulevard and hired the wonderful Glenn Close instead.

Thank you

Tired of the fans that do not see that these are not casual unrelated spur of the moment remarks. This is not 1992, you have no idea what it was like then ...

Who cares? Does every complaint about how shabbily Madonna gets treated should measure up against the SEX/Erotica backslash?

Madonna is the fourth best selling recording act in the history of music, the best selling female one, the fourth highest grossing touring act ever and 35 years on a magnet of analysis and mega contracts. Not to mention the recipient of an endless list of accolades from several forms of artistic expression.

She's raising six children, is not a vapid Hollywood alcohol/drug/bankrupt mess. She deserves the utmost respect for the combination of all of the above, if anything, in the kind of reckless, superficial, ephemeral world we live in nowadays.

But three months after she served a brilliant speech about not having opinions will make you live longer in a male run industry and about how some women can be the worst sworn enemy to other strong and independent women, you have three women who should know better, having shared moments from the same period, coming out with their transparent, presumptuous and arrogant pronouncements on her, without even having produced a fraction of the diversity, variety and scope of Madonna's output, let alone without having raised any of the endless cultural discussion she has stimulated throughout her career

I think Madonna should not give this Patti Bot the time of day on her IG and I'm proud that she ignores all of the venom but after a while it mustn't feel pleasant to constantly find yourself at the receiving end of it and as fans we are merely noticing there is indeed a pattern in trying to rewrite history when Madonna is concerned

And yes I place Annie Lennox firmly with the Chrissie Hynde, Cindy Lauper, Debbie Harry, Sheryl Crow bunch of embittered hypocritical cows. They sound like a bunch of gossiping queens from the little parochial village. I guess this is where they come from and this is who they have remained despite the success, worldliness and affluence.

Who the fuck is Annie Lennox to imply that a woman past 50 should not flaunt her breasts if she feels like it? She's just transparently reinforcing the long held media stereotype that Madonna is some slut with no talent who does these things to drum up interest in her persona.

Annie Lennox should be reminded that you don't fill up stadiums and arenas for 31 years if (supposedly) all you've got to show is your body. But that is the pressing issue for all these other women isn't it. They never filled anything based on their sole name and strength even when they were in their youth let alone now, so the best available gig left is sitting in some dreary morning TV studio acting all holier than thou, fully aware that a Madonna mention will guarantee them plenty of column inches

Have been seeing US media put down Madonna more frequently for past few years, which includes major lgbtq publications. Millennial writers seem not to really like her as an artist or care much about how she helped changed pop culture. In the shallow age of singing/talent competitions & identity politics, it's not very fashionable to be an older white woman who happens to be very wealthy & successful.:lol: It's like she has no street cred or never overcame any adversity.

Doesn't effect my hardcore fandom since the nineties, but some of this disdain is rubbing off on public who looks to media to shape their opinions on what is fashionable, hip, or whatever. Glad that fans are speaking out.....

Shitty that they use her name the way they do. 

She even had prime opportunity to be legitimately shady, instead "I didn't see it but it was a piece of shit and she sucks tho" is just witless and embittered by any standard.  Made her look crude and slow.  Oh well.  

5 hours ago, Kim said:

Like I said, normally I'd agree, but I'm sensing something different and dangerous afoot these last few years, and I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it was pertinent. The way legends are immortalised in the future is not going to be the same as we've experienced in our generation, that much I know.

You now recently I even thought Madonna could be the first legend that gets bashed and played down after she died. I really can see how they still hate on her when she's gone. I don't know why, but the hate seems so intense and crazy and it feels like we never see the end of it.

44 minutes ago, MichaelDieker said:

Shitty that they use her name the way they do. 

Indeed it is.

This time last year we were dealing with the vitriol, misinformation and rewriting of history that surrounded her Prince tribute performance.