MadonnaNation.com Forums

19 minutes ago, karbatal said:

And she wasn't given any big hit by the record company,  even though it was one of the most anticipated releases.  There's something going on when the record company doesn't invest in a A LIST singer.  

You can't compare this to any Madonna moment because since TB Madonna hasn't relied on the record company to buy tracks.  Rihanna and Perry are total pop products. 

I don't think she's is in the same category as Rihanna in that respect. She does write songs, and even writes them for other people.

For some reason, a lot of big pop artists have forgotten the 'pop' part of what makes their music..er...popular.

Some would say MDNA was somewhat a 'bought' album btw.

I like the disco vibe of pendulum, nothing innovative but nice to listen to. 

The album debuts at no1 in the mediatraffic global chart with 288.000 "equivalent" sales. This is less than Rebel Heart's real sales. But anyway I wouldn't call this a flop. The album is very good and the singles made an impact even if they weren't played much by radio. And CTTR is a great pop song that will stand the test of time.

4 minutes ago, DreamTheater said:

The album debuts at no1 in the mediatraffic global chart with 288.000 "equivalent" sales. This is less than Rebel Heart's real sales. But anyway I wouldn't call this a flop. The album is very good and the singles made an impact even if they weren't played much by radio. And CTTR is a great pop song that will stand the test of time.

So that means besides America it pretty much sold nothing outside the US? 

At the end only Madonna will be selling in five years :lol:

1 minute ago, Skin said:

So that means besides America it pretty much sold nothing outside the US? 

180.000 US, 108.000 rest of the world.

1 hour ago, DreamTheater said:

180.000 US, 108.000 rest of the world.

Wow that's horrendous. Albums don't sell shit anymore. They should just give them away free.

Swish Bish deserves a video. 

Also, Miss You More is infinitely better than SAD, yeah, even the initials of that damn shit song tell how bad of a choice for single this crap is. 

If numbers are accurate, seems very poor to have only 108,000 outside of US! Maybe numbers are a refection of the music business in general.

Just that expected higher numbers with how popular she was for the past several years. Do hope things improve for her....

20 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

Swish, Swish should've been the 2nd single with a big radio push and video release. I love Bon Appetite but I can absolutely see why it didn't do well. The video is about cannibalism for Christ's sake. This song never should've been released as a single. Not with gems like Deja Vu, Roulette, Tsunami, and Witness on the album. 

Swish Swish could've been the Dark Horse of this era. It's funky, it's got a KILLER chorus, and it's quotable. Shameful that it didn't do better. 

You know if Beyonce had released that track, there would be memes all over the place. It would be considered "iconic." 

Anyway, I think the real issue here that no one's talking about is Dr. Luke. Aside from "Firework" (produced by Stargate), ALL of Katy's big hits were produced by him, but he was obviously cut loose due to the whole Kesha thing. Max Martin should have stepped in and produced more of the tracks or at least taken more control over the direction. It's clear Katy was given more creative control, which is great for her and for artists in general, but the result is an album that's more personal and political and less about the HITS. No need to go searching for conspiracy theories here. This has happened many times before in a much bigger way. Look at Kelly Clarkson's follow up to Breakaway, which was bigger than any of Katy's albums. Kelly took control and flopped. If a label doesn't believe in something, they won't support it.

1 hour ago, vocalism said:

You know if Beyonce had released that track, there would be memes all over the place. It would be considered "iconic." 

Anyway, I think the real issue here that no one's talking about is Dr. Luke. Aside from "Firework" (produced by Stargate), ALL of Katy's big hits were produced by him, but he was obviously cut loose due to the whole Kesha thing. Max Martin should have stepped in and produced more of the tracks or at least taken more control over the direction. It's clear Katy was given more creative control, which is great for her and for artists in general, but the result is an album that's more personal and political and less about the HITS. No need to go searching for conspiracy theories here. This has happened many times before in a much bigger way. Look at Kelly Clarkson's follow up to Breakaway, which was bigger than any of Katy's albums. Kelly took control and flopped. If a label doesn't believe in something, they won't support it.

That's what I find so sad about this story. I liked the bubblegum version of Katy, but I was glad that she decided to evolve, follow her ambitions and she succeeded artistically. Unfortunately, her record company did voluntarily not support an album that was not going to bring them big money. That way, Katy will make a flop and they will be able to regain full control over her career. That's exactly what happened to Kelly.

4 hours ago, Martin B. said:

That's what I find so sad about this story. I liked the bubblegum version of Katy, but I was glad that she decided to evolve, follow her ambitions and she succeeded artistically. Unfortunately, her record company did voluntarily not support an album that was not going to bring them big money. That way, Katy will make a flop and they will be able to regain full control over her career. That's exactly what happened to Kelly.

That's exactly what these companies want. To prove to their talent that they're nothing without them.

18 hours ago, karbatal said:

At the end only Madonna will be selling in five years :lol:

So true, wait and see ! :rotfl: