MadonnaNation.com Forums

umm sorry but the singles from BS and Ray of Light are all better than the non-singles from these albums.

madonna has so many non single classics, it´s nearly unbelievable! and sometimes are way better than the singles!!! at least since bedtime stories

I love this jewel of a song. I always play it to my baby boy when he's tired but still to excited to sleep. He gets all cuddly and calm and I believe he likes the melody, it's so dreamy and feels a bit like a lullaby. It's a standout song in her catalogue, one of the very best.

I live for this type of Madonna ballad. Falling Free is gorgeous. I'd put it with her best ballads like LTT and OF. As much as I adore the slower songs from the '98-'08 period, those ballads were missing that dramatic flair that the best of her 80's/90's ballads have. Take WIFLFAG for example, it's definitely a "ballad" but it's so mid-tempo when you set it next to something like LTT or You'll See. Those ballads are just completely in another league to me and FF fits right alongside those easily. I'd also throw Messiah in there too.....I think there's something about the dramatic strings in her songs that just makes me melt. :dramatic:

Her voice from 3:00 to 3:15 is a throwback to the ROL days. Her voice never sounded so perfect. 

It definitely has a ROL quality to it. I think it's a hidden gem, thrown away with the rest of MDNA (which is one of my favourite albums)

I love Falling Free! It's one of the best songs of MDNA and vocal-wise it's amazing (best vocals since Ray of Light album arguably)! :)

As to whether it should have been released as a single or not, I think that while the song is amazing, it's not single material. Love Spent and I'm Addicted definitely should have been released as singles though...

I used to feel the same way honestly but Love Spent has such an awfully processed vocal track and is incredibly overproduced. Maybe an uptempo acoustic mix could have worked out? I don't know...

I think Masterpiece should have been a buzz single, first and foremost. Maybe add GMAYL as b-side for SuperBowl promo and then never use that shit again. :chuckle: 

Girl Gone Wild should have been the lead single followed by I'm Addicted and a dual single Gang Bang / Beautiful Killer. Then release Falling Free and send the Ferry Corsten Remix to radio stations as last single. Perfect era.

Did Laurie Mayer's demo leak a couple of years ago or am I imagining things?

Edit: OK, it was a demo by Priscilla Renea.  Found it...!

I used to feel the same way honestly but Love Spent has such an awfully processed vocal track and is incredibly overproduced. Maybe an uptempo radio mix could have worked out? I don't know...

I think Masterpiece should have been a buzz single, first and foremost. Maybe add GMAYL as b-side for SuperBowl promo and then never use that shit again. :chuckle: 

Girl Gone Wild should have been the lead single followed by I'm Addicted and a dual single Gang Bang / Beautiful Killer. Then release Falling Free and send the Ferry Corsten Remix to radio stations as last single. Perfect era.

This. It could have been my favorite but it isn't for that simple reason. 

This. It could have been my favorite but it isn't for that simple reason. 

+1 

Love this. Made me cry a few times for personal reasons of course.

This song moves me tremendously and is one of the very few songs that will make me cry softly by its end.  It gives me chills every time I play it.   

I'm pretty sure it's about a breakup and she reminiscing about when their hearts aligned - when they were in love, but of course the relationship has since been doomed.

Then when she says "when I let loose the need to know, then we're both free we're free to go" it's as though she's realized the only way to be free is to stop worrying about what he's doing, who he might be with, what he might be thinking about, etc. and once she's allowed herself to do that they're both finally able to move on.  

I always took that weird little flute that appears as a sonic representation of her having a memory about Guy or a thought about him.  Finally, in the final instrumental, it represents all her memories sonically, and with the last lyrics she's ready to let them go and be free, but she feels like she's "falling free" so even though there's a freedom in letting go, it's terrifying and sad and all consuming.

To me, it directly addressed the Guy Ritchie divorce.

I love your interpretation. Especially the part I put in bold. 

This is my favorite song on MDNA btw ❤️

I used to feel the same way honestly but Love Spent has such an awfully processed vocal track and is incredibly overproduced.

Love Spent is weird. A great song at its core, but the vocal is so thin while the whole track sounds overproduced and underproduced at the same time. Is that even possible?

It's messy and empty at the same time. :D

Falling Free is such a gem of a song. Great lyrics and awesome vocals. She had a cold while recording it, right? Impressive!

I used to feel the same way honestly but Love Spent has such an awfully processed vocal track and is incredibly overproduced. Maybe an uptempo acoustic mix could have worked out? I don't know...

I am the only one that thinks that Turn Up the Radio would have been a great lead single? Plus I think it wouldn't have been out of place during her Super Bowl show.

First single: Turn Up the Radio

Second single: I'm Addicted

Third Single: Beautiful Killer (why make this a bonus track tho? It's my favorite song of the album)

Fourth Single: Love Spent

Perfect era! <3