KalamazooJay

Madonna songs that finally CLICK.

59 posts in this topic

True Blue and Cherish are Madonna's most pure pop singles imo.

Anyone have songs that you've bypassed for years? Songs that you may have enjoyed but never 'clicked' with you upon first listen? 

Why's It So Hard, Keep It Together, and ESPECIALLY Over and Over have been absolute OBSESSIONS of mine for the last month or so. It's not as if I didn't like them, I just never paid too much attention to them. It's almost as if they're new singles in a Madonna drought right now lol. 

ANTHEM.

Cherish was instant for me. I thought everyone loved it. 

For me, witnessing Madonna perform a song often changes it for me.  I am not particularly enamored with Like a Virgin but I adore every live reincarnation of the song from "Will you marry me?" to the Rebel Heart tour version.  Highlights are the Blonde Ambition masturbatory version, the Girlie Show's Marlene Dietrich version, and the MDNA Virgin/Love Spent medley.  It is a song that she always owns regardless of the fact that she wrote none of it.  

Hung Up. NEVER understood the global love for this song. Hated it, especially that Abba sample. Liked it for the very first time about a month or so ago.

DavidSternDrownWater.gif

get together, gang bang and impressive instant for me...

Incredible. I hated it since day one.

But since like 2 moths ago, I'm obsessed.

For me it's XSTATIC PROCESS. I would skip that song all the time and it wasn't until this last year or so that I'm obsessed with it. Also Unapologetic Bitch. Can't get that out of my head now!

Bitch, I'm Madonna - hated it at first, then kind of got it after the video and after the tour - quite liked it. Still NOT among my favs though, but at least I think I got the irony.

Bodyshop - always skipped it; after the tour: don't skip it, but its not among my faves still;

Cant think of any other.

oh yes, BIM and Bad Girl both were skipped until I saw the videos and then I completely changed my viewpoint. Love them both now!

Dear Jessie -  Have come to appreciate this more and more over time.  

Heartbreak City - Went from being a song I did not really rate to being an absolute favourite.  After I saw the Rebel Heart tour live, it clicked completely.  The drama, passion and her vocals are epic and I can't believe it took me so long to fully appreciate it.  

Secret - When it was released I was a little under-whelmed and liked it but did not love it.  I now love it. 

I'm Addicted - did like it at all at first but now love it. 

Great to see so many people on this thread getting to love Cherish - possibly the most joyful and pure love song ever.  

:shock: Oh I loved secret from the first listen! haha!

Still one of my favourites!

But cherish....I love it today and I didn't after I first heard it. But yeah, it is a very happy song. Love it now!

Cherish was the first Madonna song that made me a fan!  (Well, actually Live to Tell, but I didn't know it was her when I heard it in a movie). And Who's That Girl always screams I'm young and on top of the world to me.  Light up my life so blind I can't see, love those lyrics especially.

The LAP non singles are really clicking me for some reason.  Especially Love Song, Dear Jessie, and Spanish Eyes.

Although not recent epiphanies, and although I've always loved these songs, the ones that come to my head as songs that truly clicked with me after years of listening to them are:  Deeper and Deeper, Secret, and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You.

Incredible and Body Shop most notably. They're both in my top 5 favorite songs from HC/RH now, although I used to skip them.

Oh and also, Bedtime Stories. It was once I saw the video that it finally clicked on me. It is now my 2nd favorite Madonna song of all time.

I didnt know Cherish would get mentioned so often here. Such a beautiful pure pop song.

I guess my "late clicks" are the Bedtime Story non-singles that I really learnt to appreciate last year (most of all LTTWM).

I wasn't fond of the song "Like A Prayer" at the time....

I didn't care for the stop and go beats (speeds up, then slows down)

I had always liked songs with steady beats throughout...be it fast or slow

but after TIC version, I paid more attention to the song lyrics itself, and then

loved the original song as well

Mhhh

True Blue - Kind of how Cherish and Borderline seemed too cheesy for me. This one managed to grow on me the fastest though.

Keep It Together and Cherish - I always loved Like a Prayer but these two really didn't click with me for a while.

Waiting - So many people call this their favourite track from Erotica but I really never got why. Now I can actually relate to the lyrics and I sort of get it and enjoy it more lol...

I'd Rather Be Your Lover - along with a lot from Bedtime Stories originally not my cup of tea. However, the older I got, the more I can appreciate the amazing production of this album and this song in particular.

To Have and Not to Hold - Used to hate it cause it was very slow and mellow but now I appreciate it, especially that Shanti/Ashtangi sample!

What It Feels Like for a Girl - This has to be done at tour! It's so relevant now...

Love Profusion - Always thought it was boring and cheesy but it's really such a great mood lifter. It has a sense of warmth to it. 

Songs that still don't click with me as much as they click with others (please don't crucify me):

Holiday, Borderline, Express Yourself, X-Static Process, Hung Up, Give It 2 Me

ANTHEM.

YES! I would kill for a guitar performance of it! Would have been more fitting instead of Burning Up on RHT imo.

This Version in particular:

YES! I would kill for a guitar performance of it! Would have been more fitting instead of Burning Up on RHT imo.

I'm totally itching for a live reinvention of this gem. Even an "unplugged" rendition could be so fun. 

Wow I'd love this for a tour!!

Beautiful Stranger. I used to dislike this song when it first came out because it sounded too camp, but just recently "rediscovered" it and can't stop listening. 

Push. Disliked it for years until just recently I let it play all the way and fell in love with it. The message of this song got under my skin. 

Give Me All Your Luvin. With everyone hating on it, I associated negative vibes with the song and didn't click with it until just recently when I heard it play on the radio and it was as if I heard it for the first time. All expectations dropped, with an open mind, I realized the song is actually quite catchy, lighthearted and fun. 😊❤✨

(I still dislike the poorly produced, cheesy Girl Gone Wild though.)

I used to think Over and Over was complete shit but now I find it really catchy and enjoyable

The You Can Dance remix is so much better than the album version

Mhhh

True Blue - Kind of how Cherish and Borderline seemed too cheesy for me. This one managed to grow on me the fastest though.

Keep It Together and Cherish - I always loved Like a Prayer but these two really didn't click with me for a while.

Waiting - So many people call this their favourite track from Erotica but I really never got why. Now I can actually relate to the lyrics and I sort of get it and enjoy it more lol...

I'd Rather Be Your Lover - along with a lot from Bedtime Stories originally not my cup of tea. However, the older I got, the more I can appreciate the amazing production of this album and this song in particular.

To Have and Not to Hold - Used to hate it cause it was very slow and mellow but now I appreciate it, especially that Shanti/Ashtangi sample!

What It Feels Like for a Girl - This has to be done at tour! It's so relevant now...

Love Profusion - Always thought it was boring and cheesy but it's really such a great mood lifter. It has a sense of warmth to it. 

Songs that still don't click with me as much as they click with others (please don't crucify me):

Holiday, Borderline, Express Yourself, X-Static Process, Hung Up, Give It 2 Me

oh yeah To Have and Not to Hold. I always skipped it but now that I've took the time to really listen to it, I think that it's a beautiful song! :)