MadonnaNation.com Forums
Ugly Hecty

"Blond Ambition" biopic happening. Madonna doesn't approve!

Ugly Hecty    0

Lucky star: Elyse Hollander's script was No. 1 on the Black List in 2016. Michael De Luca and Brett Ratner are producing.

Universal is getting into the groove for a Madonna biopic.

The studio has picked up Blonde Ambition, Elyse Hollander’s script that topped the 2016 Black List, the industry ranking that tracks Hollywood’s most-liked unproduced screenplays.

Michael De Luca, who produced Fifty Shades of Grey for Universal, is attached to produce along with Brett Ratner’s RatPac Entertainment. John Zaozirny of Bellevue Productions also will produce.

The story is set in early 1980s New York as Madonna Louise Ciccone works on her first album, struggling in a business that treats women badly, while also dealing with a burgeoning love life and the first hints of fame.

Madonna moved to New York from Michigan in 1978 to pursue dance but segued to singing and writing songs. After failing at a rock band, she switched to dance and pop. After achieving some success with a few dance singles, she began work on her debut album, Madonna, which was released in 1983. The album yielded hits "Holiday," "Borderline" and "Lucky Star," and set the stage for her ground-breaking Like a Virgin album.

Blonde Ambition is the debut script for Hollander, who worked as an assistant to Alejandro G. Inarritu while he made Birdman, and Fresh Off the Boat co-executive producer Kourtney Kang. She is repped by WME, Bellevue, Ryan Pastorek and Robby Koch of Hansen Jacobson.

De Luca is coming off of producing this year's Academy Awards and will produce next year's broadcast as well. Ratner's RatPac recently announced a partnership with Len Blavatnik’s Access Entertainment.

Universal executive vp production Erik Baiers and director of development Chloe Yellin will oversee production for the studio. Lucy Kitada will help oversee for De Luca Productions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/madonna-biopic-blonde-ambition-lands-at-universal-996133

Please let it be much improved compared to Innocence Lost! 

Robin    0

Interesting :inlove: 

maybe they use some remastered footage from The Virgin tour / BA/ WTG. i don't think my heart could take it 

Yaaaaaas, I hope that it's something that she approves, I can't wait for them to announce the director, cast, release date, poster, everything, this is amazing.

Showdown    0

AI know it sounds like nit picking but calling it blond ambition while it's just an origin story doesn't feel right.

Who will they cast as Madonna? It's just impossible casting. Watch them cast one of these Disney brats, and then they re-record Madonna's classic songs and put out a pseudo copy of the debut album. Oh, this is gonna be something. :madonna2: 

Paul    0

AI know it sounds like nit picking but calling it blond ambition while it's just an origin story doesn't feel right.

I know - she wasnt even blonde in the beginning.

I have mixed feelings about this 

Me too. I doubt anyone could play M credibly, and I'm guessing that they might not be able to use any of her music.

I wonder if it will focus on her mentors and early boyfriends ..oh wait, that's gaga's movie :chuckle:

mafalda    0

This has the potential to be amazing. 

or completely the opposite.

I'd prefer them to film a biopic after she's dead like they've done with so many icons.

Pedro    0

I also have mixed feelings about this as no screenplay will make justice to the story as it happened. 

I wouldn't want people to be exposed to a less that 100% proof story, but that will never happen.

I would love instead her autobiography!!!

Great team behind this. Hope they get a good actress

VogueMusic    0

I don't know how they could ever get this truly right without her involvement, for one...or her writing her autobiography first, secondly.

Showdown    0

Supposedly the script was really great and apparently references Cher being a bitch to her a little before she really hit it big (and apparently is in reference to Chris' book where Cher is in her dressing room?) and Madonna being brunette getting ignored rejected and deciding to go blonde because of that. It's also gonna focus on the rise of MTV with her and Jellybean.

Carta    0

If it's the script that was floating around in December, then it's woeful (was it proven to be real or a fake version of Hollander's script?).

• Her age is wrong
  • The entire premise of the script is that The Emmys were signed to Warners for their debut album and then Madonna did the dirty on them and got Jellybean to produce the album for her as a solo artist (there's a whole scene dedicated to the recording of "Borderline" as a duet between Madonna and Dan Gilroy...!)
  • The Emmys don't realise that Madonna is releasing it as a solo album until "Holiday" is played at Danceteria and the DJ says that it's the first single from the debut solo album of "the person you know as the lead singer of The Emmys".
  • Mark Kamins and Reggie Lucas have been replaced entirely by Jellybean.
  • Sidewalk Talk features heavily as the planned first single from the follow-up to "Madonna".
  • In 1983 (after the release of "Everybody", which doesn't actually happen in the script), Madonna works at The Russian Tea Room, Dunkin' Donuts and as a nude art model (i.e. they've borrowed events from her past and placed them much later in her life story).

If the script is real, then this is going to be an absolute disaster (I haven't read the whole thing - just skimmed bits and pieces).  If it's fake (highly likely), then there's hope.  "Innocence Lost" is much closer to the truth than the rumoured script of "Blonde Ambition".

Showdown mentioned Cher - the only reference to her is when Madonna and Steve Bray try to give Nile Rodgers The Emmys' demo tape and Cher is with him - she thinks they want her to sign the cassette for them and Madonna snatches it from her hand and gives it to Nile (who passes it to his assistant, who later throws it away).  Cher comments, "You might want to re-think your name" (The Emmys), or words to that effect.

karbatal    0

This has the potential to be amazing. 

Yes.  If they focus on the strength of being strong and independent in a man's world instead of giving blow jobs in a limousine this could be big.  But I fear it will be based on those stupid unofficial biographies.