Sky Fits Heaven

M & Missy Elliott: Was it just business or friendship?

29 posts in this topic

Back in 2003/04, Madonna and Missy Elliott did some collaborations:

- Like A Virgin/Hollywood/Work It performance at MTV Video Music Awards
- American Life (Missy Elliott's American Dream Mix)
- Gap commercial
- Into The Hollywood Groove
- Into The Hollywood Groove background video for Re-Invention World Tour
- The Road To Stardom With Missy Elliott (a talent show where Madonna made an appearance)

Taking into consideration that Missy wasn't even one of producers of the American Life album, why was her presence at M's work so common during that era?

Was it because she was a popular female rapper and so an association with her would bring credibility to AL rap/Madonna's rapper personna (lol)? Or was it mainly a friendship's favor; and if so, why did we never see them two together after those years, for work or at parties, like we see Madonna with Kanye West and Nicky Minaj?

I've been thinking about this as well - it seems like Missy never mentions her anymore on social so I'm wondering if they had a falling out of sorts?

She has shown love for Madonna on Twitter the past few years.

Missy had a falling out from her career thus she fell off Madonna's and the planets radar.   "Yo Yo Yo who dat be!?".........*crickets*...................

I don't think they were first friends that said "oh we must work together".....I feel they got together more for business reasons but it's obvious there's a mutual admiration between the two of them. I don't think they would've worked with each other if there wasn't. Madonna wouldn't have someone on her song that she didn't genuinely like as an artist. I'm sure some sort of professional/friendship developed when they worked together. Despite popular belief, connecting with someone who's "hot" at the moment has never been beneath Madonna and I think that was the case here. 

Missy tried to lezzy it out with her behind the scenes of the GAP commercial but Guy Richie wasnt having it

Like for many people of Missy's generation, M is an icon she grew up with so she took the opportunity presented to her to work with her. Artists who grew up with MTV in the 80's and 90's really respect Madonna. 

I think they genuinely liked each other and enjoyed working togheter. I don't think it was just business.

I think she always wanted to bang her. She's cool. 

Missy only put out one more album after that and then disappeared for many years. I doubt they had a falling out. And yes, I think they worked together for the same reason M works with Nicki now. That said, I wish they had worked together during a different era because I love Missy and I think their collaborations were wasted on that AL remix and that silly Gap song/commercial. It's too bad that Missy was off the grid during HC because that would have been a more natural time/album for them to work on together.

Outside of Rosie, does Madonna keep celebrity friends?

Missy ate Madonna out 

Most def.

I could see Madonna featuring Missy in the Sex Book 2.0

Debi M is a celeb.  Though they both started out as nobodies together in NYC.  Is Madonna still close with Demi?

Debi M is a celeb.  Though they both started out as nobodies together in NYC.  Is Madonna still close with Demi?

She had a fallout after Demi had that breakup and started acting erratically around 2012? I don't remember.

A lot of people from the fashion world are her friends from many years, Donatella for example.

Definitely. Debi M, Stella McCartney, Donatella, Ingrid, Jean Paul Gaultier are just some examples.   

That whole 'friendship' reeked of a professional biz. decision every bit as much as Nicki, MIA, Britney, JT and all the rest lol. Missy hands down was the original Nicki x 10 at her best/peak. I mean from like 1996-2005 ish she was super A list. on top of her game and massively popular and respected. Just amazed how much her career plummeted. Most millennials, tweens etc..prob. have barely any clue...if that, who she is. Pity :/ 

Naomi Campbell? I think she was at her home in London 1 or 2 years ago. 

It was business. Just go back to interviews with the two of them. Their managers both thought it would be a good idea to combine them for some work 

"When I rap on this track...all I smell is cheddar..."

Missy did it for the money.

I believe Missy bowed out from show business for a good while because she was dealing with an illness.

As for the Madonna collaborations...business and mutual respect, probably. Missy has never been shy about her true respect and admiration for Madonna.

"When I rap on this track...all I smell is cheddar..."

Missy did it for the money.

And for a taste of Madonna's sugar walls.

I love Missy Elliot, just not their collaborations.

They were not as great as they should've been.

What happened with Madonna and Gwyneth?? 

Also, why did she divorce Sean? Or did he divorce her?