MadonnaNation.com Forums
loowee

Camille Paglia talks Madonna AGAIN.

Kilt    0

It all comes down to the perception of what/how a person is expected to act when reaching a certain age. "Act your age" expectations are so illusory and easy to trap your mind.

Watched like four seconds before I had to turn it off, didn't hear anything beyond "Madonna is a travesty to her former self from the 80's and 90's".

Orion    0

Funny how she was continuously called out/trashed/dissed in the 80's and 90's and now suddenly they say she was great then while now she's a travesty,

Re-writing history anyone? Can this people make up their mind once and for all?

And sorry, I know she shouldn't, but I would LOVE Madonna to throw a flawless shade to this witch.

Crux    0

Funny how she was continuously called out/trashed/dissed in the 80's and 90's and now suddenly they say she was great then while now she's a travesty,

Re-writing history anyone? Can this people make up their mind once and for all?

And sorry, I know she shouldn't, but I would LOVE Madonna to throw a flawless shade to this witch.

So would I, but this Plaglia Cunt seems to have an extremely thick skin and an answer for everything, so I imagine it wouldn't turn out well for Madonna...sadly.

Gus    0

Well, she has in a way, she has turned down interviews/hbo and other tv specials with Paglia numerous times, Camille has talked about that several times...

Here's M talking about Paglia's changing opinions on her

@7:58

Camille is stuck in the 90s if she took more notes from Madonna and learned to evolve perhaps she'd still be considered relevant today as well, instead of just a product of her time. Gloria steinem she is not.

loowee    0

Well, she has in a way, she has turned down interviews/hbo and other tv specials with Paglia numerous times, Camille has talked about that several times...

Here's M talking about Paglia's changing opinion's on her

@7:58

Didn't know she already clocked Camille 20 years ago :rotfl: 

Jazzy Jan    0

I can't stand this stupid ageist idiot.  She calls herself a feminist and then carries on about how women should age gracefully.  Women should age however they want.  She is as sexist and ageist as anyone out there.  

Also,  it is so hypocritical the way she attacks the way women look.  Normally, I would not comment or worry about how anybody looks but as she is so keen to comment on everyone else and call other women ugly and ridiculous - well has she looked in the mirror lately ?   

elijah    0

I agree with her on one point: the videos have decreased in quality/thought/meaning. Her best videos are 1989-1999.

Skin    0

"Unhappy people are nasty people."  

Perfect. :lol:

Jazzy Jan    0

I agree with her on one point: the videos have decreased in quality/thought/meaning. Her best videos are 1989-1999.

Do you think so ?   I loved her videos for GMAYL, Girl gone Wild, and the singles off Rebel Heart. 

Another thing.  I appreciated Andy Cohen who defended her but again people under-estimate Madonna.  They just keep on bringing up that she wore a revealing outfit to the Met ball or sang a song called Bitch I'm Madonna etc.  That is a small part of what she has done the past few years.  Part of the charm and greatness of Madonna is how versatile and different she is - she has been that way throughout her entire career.  All people have to do is look at the videos for the 3 singles from Rebel Heart.  All completely different in every way.  

Orion    0

Don't tell Me, Die another day, Hung Up, GMAYL, Living for Love and Ghosttown are all beautiful videos and some of her best IMO.

Skin    0

Sadly I believe alot of this has to do with the decline of MTV bothering to play music videos around that time.  And when they did it was only about 30 seconds on TRL.  I think record companies and even Madonna's probably thought why pump a lot of thought into these videos when no one is even going to see the damn thing?  Wasn't until youtube exploded that the quality of music videos (and even Madonna's videos) began to see an uptick in quality again.  I personally think Ghosttown is one of her best videos ever.  And whether you like the song or not GMAYL is an excellent video.  

She's really not even worth getting worked up over at this point. 

She voted for Jill Stein? She supported Bernie Sanders? Look, everyone is entitled to their political views and has the right to vote for whomever they choose. I take no issue with that. Hell, I supported Bernie over Hillary and stuck my nose up when I went into the voting booth last November. But we don't need to get into that in this thread..... 

But for this bitch to sit on top of her mangy fucking high horse and preach about feminism and blah blah fucking blah, then turn around and NOT support women like Madonna and Hillary, who have fought the white male establishment EVERY GOD DAMN STEP OF THE WAY, makes her just a devoid, hollow, merit-less, talking head. How she's given a platform anymore is beyond me. She honestly makes me sick with her hypocrisy and blatant ignorance for everything Madonna has stood for more than 30 years.

Educate yourself, darling. Educate yourself.  

Except her videos have been better since 2012 when compared to her post American Life original video. 

elijah    0

Except her videos have been better since 2012 when compared to her post American Life original video. 

better yes, but nowhere near as great as they were from LAP up till ROL.

Nightshade    0

I think it's funny that Camille says Madonna isn't preserving her "glamour" by going to the Met Ball with her ass out. Yet, that was Madonna all through the 80's and 90's. And by the way, even Marlene Dietrich thought Madonna was vulgar back then, so I have no clue what Camille is talking about. She's just remembering the past through rose-colored glasses and blaming Madonna for her bad memory.

At least Andy was there to partially defend. Although he kind of hedged his answers on the crowd's response (approving of Camille's comments). The fact is most people don't want older humans to be sexual anymore until they themselves reach that age and realize that they were part of a society building a sexual prison for their elders that they themselves would one day be placed into.

Madonna is simply saying, "I did not help build this social construct of neutered aging. I will not support it. And I will not go in it. So fuck off."

karbatal    0

This woman is the worst. There's nothing worse than a woman bringing down with patriarchal opinions other women. 

MLVC82    0

i know i'll be in the minority....but some of what she says here....is true.

vocalism    0

Listen, I disagree with the way Camille has framed the issue of how M is aging. And I think there's hypocrisy and short-sightedness in praising what she did in the past regarding sexuality and then turning on her for doing it now. However, I understand the frustration. I kind of agree with what Andy Cohen said about it. I have very mixed feelings but also respect M for doing her thing. I just think Camille could afford to show some compassion and understanding for what someone like M is up against as a 58-year-old woman in this cruel, ageist, sexist society. She can criticize M all she wants, but she can also do it in a less mean-spirited way. I still believe Camille has a personal vendetta against M for never getting that interview. Also, I find it interesting that she had NO response to Andy's defense.

Nikki    0

Listen, I disagree with the way Camille has framed the issue of how M is aging. And I think there's hypocrisy and short-sightedness in praising what she did in the past regarding sexuality and then turning on her for doing it now. However, I understand the frustration. I kind of agree with what Andy Cohen said about it. I have very mixed feelings but also respect M for doing her thing. I just think Camille could afford to show some compassion and understanding for what someone like M is up against as a 58-year-old woman in this cruel, ageist, sexist society. She can criticize M all she wants, but she can also do it in a less mean-spirited way. I still believe Camille has a personal vendetta against M for never getting that interview. Also, I find it interesting that she had NO response to Andy's defense.

i fully agree.

sometimes i also think M should just not do botox or any of that and be strong & proud. i loved madonna's look pre-cheeks and when she had the brown hair. but at the same time.. she's an icon. not a punk singer (helen mirren and meryl streep always had a classic older look so they're lucky) but look at brigitte bardot.. she also still wants people to see that famous look she has. they didnt change or "age gracefully" when you think about it. they stayed the same. the difference is that madonna is so relevant. she's breaking rules, going on the red carpet with a fit body almost showing her boobs and not wearing a mermaid/gala dress... part of the criticism is jealousy.and it's wrong of camille to give rules and say madonna shouldnt do this or that. i think it makes camille uncomfortable, so shes against it. but it's weird how someone like camille would be so narrow minded when it comes to age. she has this idea of madonna being similar like marlene dietrich and isn't accepting that madonna 's doing her own thing.