MadonnaNation.com Forums
madonna_fan1988

Erotica is Slant's #2 best album of 1992!

A great album. Love the write up, except ... monotonous? .. and REM #1?

missing from my collection smh theres a couple of songs i like Rain is my fav lol 

It was her second album that I bought, right after I became a fan with ROL. I was on to Erotica way back when...

Great to see her albums get all this recognition! :clap:

Mr Barneys Erotica corner (sounds like a Berlin bar).

erotica wall.jpg

You have such great taste....love that you're playing Prince's Purple Rain. :clap:

It's a masterpiece. A VERY VERY intelligent and cuting edge record, that hopefully, one

day, will get its due...It's her cult classic I guess...

If only we could make this album happening again....

WHAT a great list of albums from that year. Annie, Tori, Dr. Dre and REM. Just another example of a magical decade of music.

Erotica. I was 12 years old when this album came out and ordered it through Columbia House (remember that?!) because there's no way in hell my parents would let me purchase it at the store. And it scared the shit out of me at first listen. Like, truly. In the same way that a horror movie did. Where was Into the Groove? Holiday? Cherish? I was just too young to wrap my head around it. Vogue was my favorite song from her and I used to dance to the entire routine with my sister in our basement, but this album didn't have a Vouge. It didn't have the euphoria that made me fall in love with Madonna as kid growing up in the 80's. So I shelved it. 

I came back to the album after Bedtime Stories, when I was around 14 or 15. And then it clicked. The themes. The mood. The lyrics. All of it was everything I needed as a confused, closeted, gay boy growing up in rural America. Deeper and Deeper became my Live To Tell of the 90's. Secret Garden enveloped me in comfort. Waiting became my FUCK YOU song to the bullies I dealt with middle school. I finally GOT what Madonna was doing with this album. And I loved every single aspect of it. 

This ranking is so well deserved and the write up is exquisite. Many say LAP was the album that elevated her from a pop star to an artist, and it did of course, but this is the album that truly took her to places NO pop star had ever DARED to go. No one ever had the audacity to talk about, sing about, write about, or let ALONE release an entire album about what she did with Erotica. When grunge had taken over the musical landscape in 1992, Madonna proved she was going ANYWHERE with this album and still forced the world to talk about her. Had she just released something safe and poppy, she may not have survived the shifting cultural landscape. This woman proved she had balls the size of church bells by releasing this. 

I love that this album is getting a fresh look after all these years. Took them long enough. ALL HAIL EROTICA. 

Yasss! An important and pivotal album in her discography. Love it! 

You have such great taste....love that you're playing Prince's Purple Rain. :clap:

OMG you've got good eye sight! :lol: My niece robbed most of my records years ago. Whoda thought we'd all start playing them again? Gotta love Prince! :inlove:

One of my faves from her. So happy to see it so high on the list!!

BEST IDEA EVER! (there goes the dining table, I don't eat on it anyway) :lol:

I'd like to direct your attention
To something that needs directing to
A lot of people talk about
Dining in and eating out
I guess that's what this song's about

I know this is not a dining room conversation
And you don't have to listen if you don't have the time
But let me remind you
In case you don't already know
Dining out can happen down below

tumblr_ma3m2hhbrI1ql5yr7o1_400.gif