MadonnaNation.com Forums
madonna_fan1988

Erotica is Slant's #2 best album of 1992!

After they revealed I'm Breathless as the #5 best album of 1990, they just nominated Erotica as the 2nd best from 1992.

This is what they had to say about it

"No Madonna album was ever met with a louder backlash or was more rampantly misrepresented than this dark masterpiece, so you know it was doing something right. Released on the tail end of AIDS hysteria, Erotica is far from the opus to guiltless sexual fulfillment it—and its even more ridiculed accompanying tome Sex—was made out to be. Though there's no doubt it espouses taking joy in physical pleasure (“Let me remind you in case you don't already know/Dining out can happen down below”), no album seems more empathetically haunted by the act's countless side effects (i.e. “Bad Girl,” “Thief of Hearts,” a purposefully monotonous house cover of Peggy Lee's “Fever”). Underneath Madonna's bondage getup and Shep Pettibone's oversized drum tracks beats a truly pained heart."

http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/article/the-10-best-albums-of-1992/P2

Cool. I adore this album (as you can see from my siggy)

Great!

Also nice to see Tori and Annie in the top 10!

Erotica is unchallenged in Madonna's discography. Such a perfect combination of music and thematic vision. 

Amazing that they placed it so high! 

Not into the other albums listed besides The Beastie Boys.....

Erotica is unchallenged in Madonna's discography. Such a perfect combination of music and thematic vision. 

This

Madonna could have kept things safe after 10 years of unadulterated world domination, yet as a Democrat was entering the WH and her place as a rebel in the Reagan years atmosphere could have felt "less needed", she does a 360 and delivers one of her best studio albums ever and an experiment at the same time

People saying SEX diminished the possibilities of the album to be embraced by the media and to sell more than its 6m copies totalled ww (2m in the US) may have a point but like the album that coffee table book was far from a look at me project and all to do with the avant guarde, sophistication and glossy titillation. Fabien Baron, Glenn O'Brien, Meisel and the most successful female music act of all times not afraid to talk about her sexuality in such a candid way, something usually reserved to heterosexual men only

Once again certain females didn't miss a chance to take a shot at her together with the chorus of male obtuse cases in the mainstream media. Some things haven't changed much

Mr Barneys Erotica corner (sounds like a Berlin bar).

erotica wall.jpg

erotica wall.jpg

People saying SEX diminished the possibilities of the album to be embraced by the media and to sell more than its 6m copies totalled ww (2m in the US) may have a point but like the album that coffee table book was far from a look at me project and all to do with the avant guarde, sophistication and glossy titillation.

Agreed, and SEX has more than made up in legacy for Erotica's sales. It will long be thought of as one of her most important works, long after she's gone.

Another underrated musical masterpiece that the general public/media turned their noses up to, except to bash Madonna once again.  But also a beautiful work of art titled SEX.  What a year that was!!!  :drool:  Thank you, Slant for the recognition....guess better late than never!?

missing from my collection smh theres a couple of songs i like Rain is my fav lol 

@Barney  awesome Erotica corner....but did you cut the sling out of the picture???  :chuckle:

Career/pop culture defining album

@Barney  awesome Erotica corner....but did you cut the sling out of the picture???  :chuckle:

BEST IDEA EVER! (there goes the dining table, I don't eat on it anyway) :lol:

CULT ALBUM. ❤️❤️❤️

Will always be one of her best. It's PERFECT.

erotica wall.jpg

OMG YOUR TURNTABLE !!!!! I almost ordered the same the other day, on Amazon...!! :inlove:

OMG YOUR TURNTABLE !!!!! I almost ordered the same the other day, on Amazon...!! :inlove:

Good taste! lol. The sounds crap on its own though but you can blutooth it through your surround and its good x (its got usb connections too but not tried those). Its nice.

I know the sound is bad but I like the look, :laugh:

I know the sound is bad but I like the look, :laugh:

Haha yes tbh I don't use it :lol: Its easier to sit on your arse and play youtube.

erotica wall.jpg

I love this. I think I'll decorate my dream home after Erotica.