MadonnaNation.com Forums
vocalism

I'm Breathless one of Slant's 10 Best Albums of 1990

http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/article/the-10-best-albums-of-1990

Yes, it technically has “Vogue” on it. And even though we get a kick out of imagining what Elliot Ness would've made of the four-on-the-floor rinse and those performance-enhanced piano chords (we're reasonably certain his limbs would've put out an all points bulletin), that epochal pop-house smash is effectively a bonus track on what was, at the time, maybe the ballsiest move Madonna made at that point. Who else but the queen of pop could fold under her wing both Stephen Sondheim and Shep Pettibone? And though Evita gets all the ink, this caffeinated big-band stomp of an album is where she truly started pushing outside her vocal comfort zone. Not that she had much choice. Loopy from front to back, I'm Breathless is a Disney-approved retro boilermaker, where the lovelorn sincerity of the Oscar-winning “Sooner or Later” and the eager-to-please showmanship of “More” somehow nestle perfectly alongside the naughty S&M electro-swing of “Hanky Panky.” This album will get its due—it's just a question of when. Henderson

Love IB. Been listening to it a lot lately on my drive to and from work.

It deserves a lot of praise - and yes she really took a risk with it - and she did it beautifully.

Great soundtrack

it owns an Oscar , don t forget that

Love this ALBUM.  

And the punch line haha.  "just a question of wheeeeeen... When i get a yeeeeeaaarnn" 

?

The editor in chief of that magazine. He always finds a way to include M in any and every listicle they publish.

Fascinating this album made their top 10 over Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and Ray of Light. I mean, it's kind of astonishing. It certainly wouldn't be MY pick, but I'm absolutely thrilled to see one of her most underrated albums get this kind of recognition. 

I know the 80's were iconic for Madonna and can't be touched in terms of making her the legend she is today, but I will always love her 90's output. When you look back on it, it's just incredible she was really the only pop star to survive the massive sea change in the trajectory of modern music after the grunge era. Each era and album from TIC onward signified such a radical departure in sound and image in the 90's. Such a wild and magical time to be a fan. 

Fascinating this album made their top 10 over Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and Ray of Light.

They were not from 1990.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/article/the-10-best-albums-of-1990

Yes, it technically has “Vogue” on it. And even though we get a kick out of imagining what Elliot Ness would've made of the four-on-the-floor rinse and those performance-enhanced piano chords (we're reasonably certain his limbs would've put out an all points bulletin), that epochal pop-house smash is effectively a bonus track on what was, at the time, maybe the ballsiest move Madonna made at that point. Who else but the queen of pop could fold under her wing both Stephen Sondheim and Shep Pettibone? And though Evita gets all the ink, this caffeinated big-band stomp of an album is where she truly started pushing outside her vocal comfort zone. Not that she had much choice. Loopy from front to back, I'm Breathless is a Disney-approved retro boilermaker, where the lovelorn sincerity of the Oscar-winning “Sooner or Later” and the eager-to-please showmanship of “More” somehow nestle perfectly alongside the naughty S&M electro-swing of “Hanky Panky.” This album will get its due—it's just a question of when. Henderson

JUSTICE FOR BREATHLESS.

They were not from 1990.

OHHHHHH Ok. My bad. I read it as from the 1990's. Carry on. :queenbitch:

OHHHHHH Ok. My bad. I read it as from the 1990's. Carry on. :queenbitch:

bitch please :smoke:

I love this album so much!

Same here. .  Listen to it a lot.

It is extremely under-rated.  It is also one of Madonna's favourite albums which is a buzz to think about.  

How amazing is it that her albums were critically ignored (except Like A Prayer) until Ray Of Light, but Erotica, Bedtime Stories, American Life and now even I'm Breathless are finally getting recognition?

FINALLY!!!!

Some recognition from the critics!

Only Madonna has the gut to release an album like this when she's on top of the game.

Most of the artist prefers something safe to ensure they maintain on the top e.g. Pariah & Floppita.

I love this album so much!

Me too!  There are so many GORGEOUS songs on it.  It's really beautifully done.  Definitely a very underrated work.

IM GOING BANAANNAAS!!! catchy song lol 

IB deserves way more praise than it gets.

Such a fun and underrated album.  It always puts me in a good mood.  Her vocals are outstanding here also!!

it´s a very brave and risky album.Ok, it has Vogue, but it´s and album that nobody expected from her back in the day...she could have sang the songs from the movie and that´s it, but instead she delivered a great album! and I agree that she started using a new part of her voice in here.everbody talks about evita, but in this album people that were paying attention saw that she really can sing!