Turkey referendum: Erdogan wins vote to expand presidential powers

XXL

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39617700

Turkey referendum: Erdogan wins vote to expand presidential powers

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has narrowly won a referendum to expand presidential powers, which could keep him in office until 2029. With 99.45% of ballots counted, the "Yes" campaign had won 51.37% and "No" 48.63%, and the electoral board called victory for "Yes". Erdogan supporters say replacing the parliamentary system with an executive presidency will modernise the country.

Turkey's two main opposition parties said they would challenge the results. The Republican People's Party (CHP) demanded a recount of 60% of votes. They criticised a decision to accept unstamped ballot papers as valid unless proven otherwise. As jubilant Erdogan supporters rallied in the big cities, pots and pans were banged in Istanbul by opponents of the referendum, in a traditional form of protest. Three people were shot dead near a polling station in the south-eastern province of Diyarbakir, reportedly during a dispute over how they were voting. The European Commission called on the Turkish authorities in a statement to "seek the broadest possible national consensus" when implementing the constitutional reforms.

They are rejoicing into the night here outside the headquarters of the governing AK party (AKP), confident in the victory claimed by President Erdogan. He and his government say more than 51% of voters have backed the constitutional reform but the opposition has cried foul, claiming massive irregularities over invalid votes and vowing to challenge the result at the supreme electoral board.

Mr Erdogan said the clear victory needed to be respected. In a typically rabble-rousing speech, he proposed another referendum on reinstating the death penalty, which would end Turkey's EU negotiations. But this has not been the resounding win he wanted and doubts will linger over its legitimacy. It was hoped this vote might bring Turkey stability but that still seems some way off.

Ataturk is rolling in his grave 

this will affect us negatively in all the Middle East nations.

europe & USA turned blind eye on this shit if not they helped him to take power from very beginning 

17883873_656151811250992_315227123150886

Turkey now is a dictatorship.

The next step will be the death penalty.

It all makes me wonder if the failed coup was a ploy to give Erdogan full powers, it surely looks like he is benefiting a lot from it.

actually, "NO" votes were winning by far. But so many frauds *as usual* changed the reality.

Only one news agency; Anadolu Agency, last nigt, spreading the news from the Supreme Electoral Council of Turkey. They both are in the control of Erdo :)

And even though Istanbul is the most conservative city in Turkey "NO" votes won there. But the votes of some secular districts of Istanbul were not even counted... The funny thing; Üsküdar district said "NO"... it is where Erdogan lives. :D this means a lot ;)

So, in the end, this result is actually what the western powers really want. 

It is now like the Treaty of Sèvres process right after the WWI

I doubt that the western powers want this. They'd rather have a Turkey as it was 10 years ago, not this melomaniac presidency that has zero friends in western and zero friends in eastern. That's difficult to make, I think he's the first ruler that has no allies in any block. 

I expect turmoil, he going all Sadam and finally the kurds having their own independen republic, controlled by either Russia or USA (it will depend on the geopolitics evolving next years), so it will be easier to control him. 

My personal fear with this mong is that Bulgaria es too near and there are many turkish in Bulgaria too. 

I doubt that the western powers want this. They'd rather have a Turkey as it was 10 years ago, not this melomaniac presidency that has zero friends in western and zero friends in eastern. That's difficult to make, I think he's the first ruler that has no allies in any block. 

I expect turmoil, he going all Sadam and finally the kurds having their own independen republic, controlled by either Russia or USA (it will depend on the geopolitics evolving next years), so it will be easier to control him. 

My personal fear with this mong is that Bulgaria es too near and there are many turkish in Bulgaria too. 

Yes scary times ahead for Bulgaria and EU as a whole. I expect worsening of the relations between EU and Turkey and even a refugee exodus in the EU. 

Well, Turkey has always lived very well as a strategic place between Asia and Europa and as retaining wall of the Mid East turbulence. I doubt they will change that, because without that role, there would be some scenario simmilar to Tunisia, a lot of chaos... 

The European Union has called on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to launch a transparent investigation into allegations of irregularities during Turkey's constitutional reforms referendum. EU legislators have heavily criticized the Turkish President for going ahead with Sunday's referendum which paves the way for Erdogan to gain considerably more power.

Shocker

Trump is so concerned with the "children of God" living in Syria, yet has no qualms whatsoever with the dreadful record on human rights of countries like Turkey, Israel and Saudi Arabia, which belies not only his idiotic, contradictory views and real motives behind Middle Eastern interventionism and but those of the entire US Foreign Policy as a whole, for decades

American citizens and taxpayers are bring held ransom and chained to a military debt system of massive proportions just so that they can be used through fear to further the interests of a few controlling dinasties of the world, the same private interests that practically own the Federal Reserve, the Bank of England and the European Central Bank

Erdogan saying he will make a referendum to decide if the country wants to join the EU :lmao:

Honey, they EU wouldn't touch you with a stick 

:rotfl::lol2:true

Erdogan saying he will make a referendum to decide if the country wants to join the EU :lmao:

Honey, they EU wouldn't touch you with a stick 

Unfortunately he will keep blackmailing the EU with the migrant crisis issue, money for people, disgusting. If only the West didn't wade into Libya the way it did back in 2011 we wouldn't have the carnage that's taking place in the Mediterranean today, every single day. That's the only reason why the EU and Merkel in particular are barely tolerating this nut's attitude

• 2 weeks later...

disgusting

my heart and soul for the atheists , secularists and freethinkers in that country

Obviously that's half of the country, mainly western part and the big cities... but Anatolia is big... Sad, sad, sad...

Obviously that's half of the country, mainly western part and the big cities... but Anatolia is big... Sad, sad, sad...

Trump is blessing this dictatorship    :wacko:

erdogan is giving away islands to Greece and there is a project for Armenia 

he is clearly a puppet for the West .... a rabid dog for them to be more precise 

Completely insane

Turkey's president threatens more strikes against Kurdish forces; a week after Ankara’s warplanes bombed Kurdish positions in Syria and Iraq, including US-allied fighters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Nice surprise. European Turkish Trace, Istanbul, Izmir have always been pro European, pro democracy, more liberal (relatively), so I wouldn't say its unexpected. Great news.