kokot

Sheryl Crow criticizes Madonna and exposes her own hypocrisy

255 posts in this topic

Congrats for giving madonna the spotlight in your mediocre interview

Women being objectified for their sexuality predates Madonna and the modern era altogether. 

Who?

Z4KS_m.gif

this cunt is still bitter about how TAB reigned over her sorry ass song during 1995..

In a wide-ranging discussion on her life and career on AXS TV's The Big Interview with Dan Rather" that aired Tuesday night, singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow criticized Madonna's sexually stylized track record for damaging how women are perceived in society.

In December, Madonna used her platform accepting "Woman of the Year" honors at December's Billboard Women in Music 2016 celebration to deliver a searing and heartfelt 10-minute addressabout her experience of sexism in the music industry.

"What can I say about being a woman in the music business..." she began, "If you're a girl, you have to play the game. What is that game? You are allowed to be pretty and cute and sexy--but don't act too smart. Don't have an opinion... You are allowed to be objectified by men and dressed like a slut, but don't own your sluttiness, and do not--I repeat--do not share your own sexual fantasies with the world. Be what men want you to be, but more importantly, be what women feel comfortable with you being around other men. And finally, do not age: because to age is a sin."

When invited by Rather to offer an opinion on those remarks in the context of her own career, Crow--now 55 and a mother of two adopted young boys--implied that a woman's treatment from the industry is a byproduct of the image they present, then softly accused Madonna and kindred artists of tarnishing the greater female image.

"I would never say that someone else's opinion is 'baloney,' but what I would say about it is, for the women that are out there now, I would always ask the question, "'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'" Crow said. "And to me, I choose the latter, because--I mean, I wouldn't put it all on Madonna--but there's a certain part of me that says when you start exploring sex as a woman's power and you project that into art as a business form, you change the way women are forever looked at."

In his follow-up, Rather tactfully asked Crow whether she still could've "made it" without the good looks to compliment her considerable talent.

"When I was coming up, what was on the radio was Madonna and Paula Abdul... and then there was Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman--and I was somewhere in between. And my first record [1993's "Tuesday Night Music Club",] I tried everything not to look [good]--in fact, I have an oversized jean shirt on. I was so conscious of wanting to be taken seriously. I tried to make sure I didn't look good... I think [sexualization is] the norm now. If I were coming out now, I don't know that I'd wanna do it. I just couldn't get into the idea that I'm selling everything about me that has nothing to do with my words."

so:

Like A Prayer=Straight Up?

Posted (edited)

I know.  It is baffling that women still are continually judging each other this way.  Why can't they all accept each other for their own unique style.  

I also find it puzzling as there are so many different types of personalities in the music industry who are successful.  Women don't have to be sexy to be successful yet there is continual implication that Madonna is successful because she is sexy.  Madonna has created the best pop music of anyone for decades.  That is firstly why she is successful.  Yes, she is sexual and beautiful but that has not made millions of people buy her music over the decades.  

Look at the female stars of today.  Some like to show their sexuality but stacks also don't.  It is all about choice and accepting each other. 

Men don't judge other men like this.  I never hear any male stars complaining about how other male stars use their sexuality.  Has anyone ever heard of another male star slating the brilliant Prince for his sexy image ?   

Sheryl Crow has a right to her opinion which is respectfully disagreed with. What's been concerning about those who choose to deprecate Madonna is such antagonists perceive her as a one trick pony. Whether you scroll through YT comments (social media in general), your friends, family members, of course her contemporaries they (a percentage) will be quick to enunciate Madonna is a  zero talent:sneaky: harlot. 

With a hardened heart it is easy to vainly kick someone while their down. Instead pick someone up from their night of despair. Ultimately find comfort in knowing God is her sole judge not man. Is M perfect? No. However neither is anyone else.

Check yourself before you choose to cast a stone.

Edited by Anselme_Cristian

but she has no problem with the Rolling Stones using sex and dominant heterosexual male fantasy to sell their records.

In fact if Madonna put aside the sexual aspect of her persona she would have sold more records because contrary she has the material to let the music stand on its own. 

Exactly. 

And this is not the first time she disses Madonna either.  I recall at the very beginning that she said something along the lines that she had meaningful lyrics and a meaningful message unlike Madonna. 

She's another Suzanne Vega case.  Jealous much for the long and rich career Madonna has. 

"exploring sex as a woman's power and you project that into art as a business form, you change the way women are forever looked at"

To me that is saying somebody is a whore in a very polite way.

And that BULLSHIT about Tueseday Night Music Club, in 1993 it was all about grunge,

not looking glamourous or larger than life and trying 2 get away as far as possible from the 80's

aesthetic was the style, so u know that stylist was working over time making her look 'unkempt' or whatever.

But that's using ur look and ur body 2, she was playing the game just as well.

Oh and she said she toned down her image with her first album????????  the very nerve! Had she been ugly I doubt she had had a record deal. She was so beautiful when she released All I Wanna Do!  The tone down image was simply trendy back then in the grunge era. 

Oh Acko and me said the same at the same time! 

She's not having a dig on M??? Are you fucking serious?? Some people here...

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with @jazzyjan and @anastaza and all the others who called this bitter hasbeen out on her complete BS.

She can sell her basic non threatening little ego in hope to get some respect from the boys, cause they're the ones to impress, right Sheryl? Being acknowledged because you're marriage material? So down to earth, an angel in the kitchen, a slut in the bedroom? Everything right where it belongs and where he likes it to be?? 

She tried 'not to look good'! I just can't, really ...

Oh another one of those....women her age that criticize her.

What a bullshit.

The has-been crow basked in Madonna's spotlight for five seconds with this bullshit bigot patronizing comment.

tenor.gif

The has-been crow basked in Madonna's spotlight for five seconds with this bullshit bigot patronizing comment.

tenor.gif

:rotfl::lmao:

Oh Acko and me said the same at the same time! 

Cuz We're old :p:rotfl:and we remember things...cuz we were there :D

And my first record [1993's "Tuesday Night Music Club",] I tried everything not to look [good]--in fact, I have an oversized jean shirt on. I was so conscious of wanting to be taken seriously. I tried to make sure I didn't look good...

back in 1993 everybody was wearing the flannel shirt and rocking ripped jeans. what is she talking about? it's not like the record execs put a gun to her head and forced her to show skin. 

On another note, i understand that the record companies applied back in the 80s the Madonna-tactic to a a majority of their female artists, expecting that it would replicate madonna's appeal and generate sales, but that's another discussion.

Madonna uses sex to conquer the world!

Sorry to see Sherly failed in that area and ended up looking like a slut.

So much for hiding her body when she started...  FIRST SINGLE COVER 

crow001.jpg

She learned soon other tricks too 

sherylcrow13.jpg

It's a pity she says those things because I respect her a lot as an artist.  Her wildflower album is BEAUTIFUL. Sadly she believed her own PR press release, which presented her as the American Sweet Girl as opposed to Madonna's sexual phase. 

sheryl-crow-in-embroidered-white-pants-p

sheryl-crow-in-beige-spaghetti-strap-dre

sheryl-crow-in-white-triangle-bikini-pho

sheryl-crow-in-denim-jeans-photo-u1.jpg

sheryl-crow-in-black-loose-neckline-dres

sheryl-crow-in-fringe-belt-and-white-bik

sheryl-crow-in-string-one-piece-outfit-p

"I would never say that someone else's opinion is 'baloney,' but what I would say about it is, for the women that are out there now, I would always ask the question, "'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'" Crow said. "And to me, I choose the latter... - Sheryl Crow

rupaul-gaze-gif.gif

ezgif-3-037f8303d4_zps0kgdhfmb.gif