MadonnaNation.com Forums
kokot

Sheryl Crow criticizes Madonna and exposes her own hypocrisy

How very disappointing. I wish these (sadly many) women could see how the press is using them to put down another woman. Respecting other women's choices regardless if they are your own is what feminism is truly about. You can't be truly pro-choice or a feminist, Annie/Debbie/Suzanne/Sheryl if you spend your time and use your public voice to Slut-shame and judge and put down other women for their choices. Madonna has long used her career and public voice to speak out on female empowerment, double standards, misogyny and power, homophobia and racism, how sad so many of her peers don't support a woman who has taken the public flack for so many other women that have come after her.

Two things most of Madonna's female critics have in common - they're has beens and they have zero sex appeal. They're just mad and jealous cuz they can't pull off what comes so naturally for Madonna. 

This exactly!Another name in the reductive list.....

XXL    0

Is she... confused?

Madonna had an opinion (a very CLEAR one at that).

Madonna owned her sluttiness & shared her fantasies un-apologetically.

She didn't do what was "comfortable."

:thumbsup: 

I don't think that I'm selling sex to sell myself, I think that I am a very sexual person and that comes through in my performing and if that's what pushes people to buy my records fine but I don't think of it consciously, well I'm going to be sexy to get people to be interested in me, it's the way I am, it's the way I have always been

Every once in a while I'll get a reaction from another performer who's a feminist, a singer, and if I do get anything from them, I think they're just jealous and envious of me and my reply to them is that's the choice that I've made, I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life and you're not going to tell me what to do with mine. I enjoy this and this is my choice and I think I'm bringing happiness to people so it's as simple as that

I think you build an image for yourself and the world ends up seeing only that aspect of you, every person is multifaceted and hopefully the longer your career goes on you can get that out of you, i couldn't begin to tell you what the world doesn't see in me right now, there's a million things.

Has anyone ever seen a more cogent, assertive, unfazed and articulate 26 year old?

05:46

Exactly what differentiates Madonna from all these other whiners. She didn't need to bring down anybody to big up herself. And she did have opinions and she was not afraid to express them nor she depended on a man to express them

That's what bothers these people but particularly women attacking other women who have made it solely based on their strengths and merits, especially when they have such a strong chauvinistic chorus against them, always leave me puzzled and slightly sad

le smoking    0

I get where she's coming from but Madonna is the last female artist anyone should accuse of such things.  It's always been crystal clear that she owns her sexuality and does it for her own enjoyment, not out of titillation, but basics never seem to get it.  Her criticism would be way more suited to people like Britney

XXL    0

1490886219937.jpgI don't know her

Neither do I

giphy.gif

How very dissapointing.l wish these (sadly many) women could see how the press is using them to put down another woman. Respecting other women's choices regardless if they are your own is what feminism is truly about. You can't be truly pro-choice or a feminist, Annie/Debbie/Suzanne/Sheryl if you spend your time and use your public voice to Slut-shame and judge and put down other women for their choices. Madonna has long used her career and public voice to speak out on female empowerment, double standards, misogyny and power, homophobia and racism, how sad so many of her peers don't support a woman who has taken the public flack for so many other women that have come after her.

Yes, it's very disappointing. These women are very ungrateful to Madonna: she paved the way for women in a male-dominated industry, since she was the first huge female artist in the history of pop music, as big as her male counterparts or even bigger, and completly in control of her music, image and artistic vision. I remember Madonna complaining about it in an interview in 1995.

runa    0

Well... where do we start. Funny how bitterness makes you say stupid things.

I get where she's coming from but Madonna is the last female artist anyone should accuse of such things.  It's always been crystal clear that she owns her sexuality and does it for her own enjoyment, not out of titillation, but basics never seem to get it.  Her criticism would be way more suited to people like Britney

This, and she's always been completely in control of her career trajectory, songwriting, video direction, looks/style, album direction. It's so strange to me how people accuse someone like Madonna of these things, the Sex book and Erotica album were completely her own idea, I'm sure her label and "people" were vehemently against their release...

It's sad how Madonna's intentions with the Erotica era were so lost and misunderstood with the narrowminded, the concept of objectifying oneself, and topics of female empowerment went completely over their heads. However, learning about the Sex book in art history at my very public school and University alongside other feminist artists like Carolee Schneeman and Hannah Wilke gives me hope for future generations and their view of Madonna as the feminist icon she truly is. 

swimtoshore    0

i used to really like Sheryl Crow and her music - but after her relationship with Lance Armstrong (apparently she knew about his doping and never said shit about it), i couldn't give a fuck what she has to say on any topic

and why tear Madonna down to defend your own path Sheryl? can't they both be equally valid? Madonna has always stayed true to herself and Sheryl is claiming she has done the same - so shouldn't that be celebrated rather than critized?

pjcowley    0

The more I hear these kind of stuff from people of the same generation as Madonna, the more I see Madonna as the only sane one out of the fucked up, utterly bigot born-in-the-late-50s generation.

I will never get that argument. She must not know how to wipe her butt right. (I have nothing against her and lover her , just not that kind of archaic belief she has).

just because you have a sex life and n have an appreciation for the human form  and have sexual fantasies , and own up to all of it, doesn't mean you can't be confident or Have an opinion or be intelligent and it doesn't make u a bad person. 

Insecure people will always find ways to objectify , project, and dehumanize whichever way they can whether ur sexy or not. 

Owning up to sexuality should change things for the better , as we all have it, but we still somehow keep finding ways to feel shame over it. And this is still the case.  

le smoking    0

i used to really like Sheryl Crow and her music - but after her relationship with Lance Armstrong (apparently she knew about his doping and never said shit about it), i couldn't give a fuck what she has to say on any topic

and why tear Madonna down to defend your own path Sheryl? can't they both be equally valid? Madonna has always stayed true to herself and Sheryl is claiming she has done the same - so shouldn't that be celebrated rather than critized?

Exactly.  These women don't seem to understand that there's more than 1 way to be a woman.  Madonna's sexuality is just as valid and authentic as hers

XXL    0

:thumbsup:

She has instead stayed true to not outing dear Lance when she could have

Sheryl could never, Madonna has been so much more than a singer, song-writer or performer in this world

You can have a sit Sheryl

Next to your fellow self-complacent Cindy, Suzanne and Joni

tumblr_lsd5ipG1C61qezxsoo1_r1_500.gif

XXL    0

I will never get that argument. She must not know how to wipe her butt right. (I have nothing against her and lover her , just not that kind of archaic belief she has).

just because you have a sex life and n have an appreciation for the human form  and have sexual fantasies , and own up to all of it, doesn't mean you can't be confident or Have an opinion or be intelligent and it doesn't make u a bad person. 

Insecure people will always find ways to objectify , project, and dehumanize whichever way they can whether ur sexy or not. 

Owning up to sexuality should change things for the better , as we all have it, but we still somehow keep finding ways to feel shame over it. And this is still the case.  

Precisely

Did anybody ever accuse Elvis over his pelvic thrust? They all raved about it, didn't call him a slut, did they?

And that was ages before Madonna's coming of age decade, so even more absurd

vocalism    0

I wonder how many people on here actually read the article rather than just the headline? I disagree with Sheryl, but I don't think she was going in on Madonna or saying anything unreasonable. She's entitled to her opinion. She covered "Don't Tell Me" back in the day. She even has a song on her first album where she says "Wanna be Madonna but the price is too high." She didn't slag her off, accuse her of not being talented or using sex because she has no talent. And she certainly didn't deny that she was anything like M or that she wasn't influenced by her or that she M doesn't write her own songs like some other people have.

I wonder how many people on here actually read the article rather than just the headline? I disagree with Sheryl, but I don't think she was going in on Madonna or saying anything unreasonable. She's entitled to her opinion. She covered "Don't Tell Me" back in the day. She even has a song on her first album where she says "Wanna be Madonna but the price is too high." She didn't slag her off, accuse her of not being talented or using sex because she has no talent. And she certainly didn't deny that she was anything like M or that she wasn't influenced by her or that she M doesn't write her own songs like some other people have.

Yeah. This. 

It's such an inoffensive article relating to Madonna. She's simply saying that she wasn't following the blueprint Madonna created regarding the celebration and exploitation of a woman's sexuality. 

Sheryl is a modern rock icon. She's dealt with her own fair share of bullshit and misogyny and is a pioneer in her own right 

Jazzy Jan    0

Not sure how anyone can say that Sheryl is not having a dig at Madonna with this paragraph..  Remember she was asked about Madonna and in particular Madonna's Billboard speech so her words do imply to her completely in every way. 

"I would never say that someone else's opinion is 'baloney,' but what I would say about it is, for the women that are out there now, I would always ask the question, "'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'" Crow said. "And to me, I choose the latter, because--I mean, I wouldn't put it all on Madonna--but there's a certain part of me that says when you start exploring sex as a woman's power and you project that into art as a business form, you change the way women are forever looked at."

Sorry, but she is out of line and it goes beyond having her own opinion. Sick to death of other female stars either straight out trashing Madonna or being passive aggressive and throwing the whole "using your body etc"  garbage.  Acting like they are so superior because they are not sexual.   Thank God Madonna does not judge other female stars on how they express their sexuality.  

Pedro    0

I really don't see anything more than the usual envy and some shade besides the comments of diminishing Madonna's talents by someone who hasn't kept on shining at all. 

ZzZz lool. Sheryl Crow hasn't been a semi blip since like 2002. Stale, beyond exhausted repetitive 'point'. She was on the MATCH GAME recently lmao! Says its all about where her career and relevance is. That said..she was always just 'there'. No different better/worse than Paula Cole,Jewel, Meredith Brooks and all those disposable 90s new wave Liletth Fair 'folksy pop starlets'. lol She was just waay more overrated. Had a few decent but very forgettable dated albums. 

anastaza    0

Not sure how anyone can say that Sheryl is not having a dig at Madonna with this paragraph..  Remember she was asked about Madonna so her words do imply her completely in every way. 

"I would never say that someone else's opinion is 'baloney,' but what I would say about it is, for the women that are out there now, I would always ask the question, "'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'" Crow said. "And to me, I choose the latter, because--I mean, I wouldn't put it all on Madonna--but there's a certain part of me that says when you start exploring sex as a woman's power and you project that into art as a business form, you change the way women are forever looked at."

Sorry, but she is out of line and it goes beyond having her own opinion. Sick to death of other female stars either straight out trashing Madonna or being passive aggressive and throwing the whole "using your body etc"  garbage.  Acting like they are so superior because they are not sexual.   Thank God Madonna does not judge other female stars on how they express their sexuality.  

Exactly.  Traditionally, men have never been picked apart regarding certain aspects/characteristics of their being.  Men's sexuality has always been championed, promoted, and practically rewarded.  But then, once a woman does the same thing, she's all of a sudden "using her body" and there's then that pressure to be either the "virgin" or the "whore". Madonna turned that shit on its head.

And those tired comments such as this:
"'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'"
In other words: "I don't need to use my body because I have talent!"

Same old bullshit comments coming from certain women who feel the need to shame others.  Girl, bye.

Jazzy Jan    0

Exactly.  Traditionally, men have never been picked apart regarding certain aspects/characteristics of their being.  Men's sexuality has always been championed, promoted, and practically rewarded.  But then, once a woman does the same thing, she's all of a sudden "using her body" and there's then that pressure to be either the "virgin" or the "whore". Madonna turned that shit on its head.

And those tired comments such as this:
"'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'"
In other words: "I don't need to use my body because I have talent!"

Same old bullshit comments coming from certain women who feel the need to shame others.  Girl, bye.

I know.  It is baffling that women still are continually judging each other this way.  Why can't they all accept each other for their own unique style.  

I also find it puzzling as there are so many different types of personalities in the music industry who are successful.  Women don't have to be sexy to be successful yet there is continual implication that Madonna is successful because she is sexy.  Madonna has created the best pop music of anyone for decades.  That is firstly why she is successful.  Yes, she is sexual and beautiful but that has not made millions of people buy her music over the decades.  

Look at the female stars of today.  Some like to show their sexuality but stacks also don't.  It is all about choice and accepting each other. 

Men don't judge other men like this.  I never hear any male stars complaining about how other male stars use their sexuality.  Has anyone ever heard of another male star slating the brilliant Prince for his sexy image ?