kokot

Sheryl Crow criticizes Madonna and exposes her own hypocrisy

255 posts in this topic

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In a wide-ranging discussion on her life and career on AXS TV's The Big Interview with Dan Rather" that aired Tuesday night, singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow criticized Madonna's sexually stylized track record for damaging how women are perceived in society.

In December, Madonna used her platform accepting "Woman of the Year" honors at December's Billboard Women in Music 2016 celebration to deliver a searing and heartfelt 10-minute addressabout her experience of sexism in the music industry.

"What can I say about being a woman in the music business..." she began, "If you're a girl, you have to play the game. What is that game? You are allowed to be pretty and cute and sexy--but don't act too smart. Don't have an opinion... You are allowed to be objectified by men and dressed like a slut, but don't own your sluttiness, and do not--I repeat--do not share your own sexual fantasies with the world. Be what men want you to be, but more importantly, be what women feel comfortable with you being around other men. And finally, do not age: because to age is a sin."

When invited by Rather to offer an opinion on those remarks in the context of her own career, Crow--now 55 and a mother of two adopted young boys--implied that a woman's treatment from the industry is a byproduct of the image they present, then softly accused Madonna and kindred artists of tarnishing the greater female image.

"I would never say that someone else's opinion is 'baloney,' but what I would say about it is, for the women that are out there now, I would always ask the question, "'Do you feel more empowered by using your body to draw attention to your art? Or do you feel more empowered by wielding a talent that moves the molecules,'" Crow said. "And to me, I choose the latter, because--I mean, I wouldn't put it all on Madonna--but there's a certain part of me that says when you start exploring sex as a woman's power and you project that into art as a business form, you change the way women are forever looked at."

In his follow-up, Rather tactfully asked Crow whether she still could've "made it" without the good looks to compliment her considerable talent.

"When I was coming up, what was on the radio was Madonna and Paula Abdul... and then there was Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman--and I was somewhere in between. And my first record [1993's "Tuesday Night Music Club",] I tried everything not to look [good]--in fact, I have an oversized jean shirt on. I was so conscious of wanting to be taken seriously. I tried to make sure I didn't look good... I think [sexualization is] the norm now. If I were coming out now, I don't know that I'd wanna do it. I just couldn't get into the idea that I'm selling everything about me that has nothing to do with my words."

WHAT A CUNT! Never bought any of her albums, do like some songs...well this will be a fun thread :rotfl: 

Another woman with this opinion again.......

tumblr_mbolgfK3Ey1r5mtgp.gif

I've never heard of her

"...don't act too smart. Don't have an opinion... You are allowed to be objectified by men and dressed like a slut, but don't own your sluttiness, and do not--I repeat--do not share your own sexual fantasies with the world. Be what men want you to be, but more importantly, be what women feel comfortable with you being around other men. And finally, do not age: because to age is a sin."

Is she... confused?

Madonna had an opinion (a very CLEAR one at that).

Madonna owned her sluttiness & shared her fantasies un-apologetically.

She didn't do what was "comfortable."

I think Sheryl should be criticizing the industry & the public instead of Madonna herself. 

tumblr_mzcsvpEAzp1rj6lpxo1_400.gif

but she has no problem with the Rolling Stones using sex and dominant heterosexual male fantasy to sell their records.

In fact if Madonna put aside the sexual aspect of her persona she would have sold more records because contrary she has the material to let the music stand on its own. 

WHAT A CUNT! Never bought any of her albums, do like some songs...well this will be a fun thread :rotfl: 

:lol:  You and me both Crystal Coffin.  

Another example of another female singer who uses the whole " using your body and sexuality"  to gain attention and therefore you have no talent idiots.  Going to call it now - what utter bulldust.  It is about time women acted how they WANT to act.  It is completely fine for Cheryl to dress and act how she wants but she should allow other women the same courtesy and freedom without criticism. 

Madonna acts and behaves etc how she feels and always has.  Look at the women who were famous around the same time.  Their were plenty of different types of images etc.  Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, though to Alanis  etc.  The list goes on. Look at today's female stars.  They are all different how they present.   This crazy notion that feeling that women have to be covered up and not sexual is as sexist and limiting as people saying that women have to be sexual.  

I remember when Sheryl Crow was popular I was in pre-k

Celebrities have been making similar comments about Madonna since the eighties.....

but she has no problem with the Rolling Stones using sex and dominant heterosexual male fantasy to sell their records.

I know.   Whenever I read stuff like this, I always laugh to myself.  The hypocrisy is hilarious but still frustrating on many levels

Madonna has always been herself.  She was not created or crafted by a record company in an image.  She also never tells other female performers how they should look or act.     

:lol:  You and me both Crystal Coffin.  

Another example of another female singer who uses the whole " using your body and sexuality"  to gain attention and therefore you have no talent idiots.  Going to call it now - what utter bulldust.  It is about time women acted how they WANT to act.  It is completely fine for Cheryl to dress and act how she wants but she should allow other women the same courtesy and freedom without criticism. 

Madonna acts and behaves etc how she feels and always has.  Look at the women who were famous around the same time.  Their were plenty of different types of images etc.  Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, though to Alanis  etc.  The list goes on. Look at today's female stars.  They are all different how they present.   This crazy notion that feeling that women have to be covered up and not sexual is as sexist and limiting as people saying that women have to be sexual.  

tumblr_ny0xww9AHh1td9nato1_500.gif

1*daaoCsA34_eBOfeY18ve8A.gif

88b0eeee649ebd609d6fb8b31fb90f43.jpg

IKR

So transparent when other females criticise Madonna over that, especially women of her generation. We've had a thread discussing this particular issue recently. I was not expecting Crow to come out with this nonsense. It was bad enough when Cyndi Lauper said a few weeks ago that Madonna is not eloquent. Oh yes, as if in comparison Lauper's career has been the picture of eloquence or extraordinary depth or her stance on anything. Bar looking like Bette Midler in Hocus Pocus and posing with Gaga dressed in BAT regalia for a dumb and cheap MAC commercial 8 years ago of course

It is disappointing that they fail to see or better, are actually displeased at seeing how Madonna has in fact subverted all the hetero laws of the industry and carved a career that has nothing to envy the U2s, Springsteens etc, WITHOUT having crawled to any one man or having married one or having inheritied anything. They are so transparent in their bitterness and faulty, hypocritical, dumb arguments

I understand though how it's become a fashion over the years when one of these lesser artists and celebrities spew out Madonna's name together with their bile as it makes them more relevant and talked about than they would be otherwise. Sad

People like Cyndi Lauper and Sheryl Crow and people that have been nothing but praised from Madonna and cited as major influence like Joni Mitchell but that have been gratuitously scathing and ridiculously dismissive of her talents and accomplishments can only hope to look at Madonna and pick her brain on a sole intellectual level, aside from learning how to sing, dance, produce and write at the same time and only have gotten better at it with the years

1*daaoCsA34_eBOfeY18ve8A.gif

:rotfl:  :chuckle: 

Never heard of her lol

Two things most of Madonna's female critics have in common - they're has beens and they have zero sex appeal. They're just mad and jealous cuz they can't pull off what comes so naturally for Madonna. 

TUESDAY NIGHT MUSIC CLUB...how edgy of a title uhhhhh ummmmm :lmao: