North Carolina bill looks to ban gay marriage

LSD

Republican state lawmakers in North Carolina are proposing a bill that would ban gay marriage in the state, according to a local CBS affiliate report Tuesday. 

North Carolina state Reps. Larry Pittman, Michael Speciale, and Carl Ford, all Republicans, are the primary sponsors of the “Uphold Historical Marriage Act.”

The bill says that the U.S. Supreme Court “overstepped its constitutional bounds” in the 2015 decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide. In the decision, the justices struck down “Amendment One” in North Carolina’s state constitution, which prohibited the state from recognizing or performing marriages or civil unions for same-sex couples.

Over 60 percent of voters approved the amendment in the spring of 2012.

“Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized,” according to Amendment One.

The bill also accuses the highest court of violating “the decree of Almighty God that “a man shall leave his father and his mother and is united to his wife, and they shall become one flesh (Genesis 2:24, ESV).”

If passed, N.C. House bill 780 would void the Supreme Court’s decision on gay marriage in the Tar Heel state. Same-sex marriages already officiated both in an out of state will reportedly not be valid under the bill.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/328378-north-carolina-bill-looks-to-ban-gay-marriage

:doh:

This thread reminds me of an heated discussion I had the other night with an obnoxious idiot.  His old fashioned and religious mother did her usual talk of saying how wrong gay marriage is, feminism is and how all of our "rights"  to free speech are gone. She reads the Herald Scum and agrees with all the right wing writers.   Her son- who is getting married for the 4th time this year agreed -  said that gay people had no right to get married as marriage was sacred and religious.  This from a guy who has left 3 wives and children for other women.  That is not the point though.  What is is to them ?  How does it effect him in any way if 2 men or 2 women want to marry. He is always sprouting out judging everyone and using religion to make a point. 

In comparison, a few nights beforehand I caught up with 2 men who are ex colleagues and dear friends who are completely devoted to each other and have been together for 40 years.  Have travelled the world together and have never been apart since they met.  It makes me feel ashamed to be Australian when they talked of their wedding some years back.  They had to go to Canada to marry because gay marriage is not legal here.   They had a beautiful wedding that they planned but could not have their families and close friends there to celebrate it with them.   If I wanted to marry again, I could. Why can't they ?  If bigoted people realized how unfair they are and how their "beliefs" discriminate unfairly and unjustly against others, the world would be a better place.   

1 hour ago, LSD said:

Republican state lawmakers in North Carolina are proposing a bill that would ban gay marriage in the state, according to a local CBS affiliate report Tuesday. 

North Carolina state Reps. Larry Pittman, Michael Speciale, and Carl Ford, all Republicans, are the primary sponsors of the “Uphold Historical Marriage Act.”

The bill says that the U.S. Supreme Court “overstepped its constitutional bounds” in the 2015 decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide. In the decision, the justices struck down “Amendment One” in North Carolina’s state constitution, which prohibited the state from recognizing or performing marriages or civil unions for same-sex couples.

Over 60 percent of voters approved the amendment in the spring of 2012.

“Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized,” according to Amendment One.

The bill also accuses the highest court of violating “the decree of Almighty God that “a man shall leave his father and his mother and is united to his wife, and they shall become one flesh (Genesis 2:24, ESV).”

If passed, N.C. House bill 780 would void the Supreme Court’s decision on gay marriage in the Tar Heel state. Same-sex marriages already officiated both in an out of state will reportedly not be valid under the bill.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/328378-north-carolina-bill-looks-to-ban-gay-marriage

:doh:

Oh to be a fly on the wall in all those clandestine gay rendez-vous of all those Republican married "children-of-god" loving US politicians

No wait, yikes, best not

Sadly, America is culturally still very much an extensional state version of the hypocritical Roman Catholic Church doctrine

Patriarchy, bigotry, racism, the flames of hell type of BS in full swing

And dead at any politician of the so called civilized West still citing the B-ible in supposedly cuturally advanced, secular by constitution nations

Give people a break

28 minutes ago, XXL said:

And dead at any politician of the so called civilized West still citing the B-ible in supposedly cuturally advanced, secular by constitution nations

Give people a break

34 minutes ago, XXL said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall in all those clandestine gay rendez-vous of all those Republican married "children-of-god" loving US politicians

raw

1 hour ago, jazzyjan said:

This thread reminds me of an heated discussion I had the other night with an obnoxious idiot.  His old fashioned and religious mother did her usual talk of saying how wrong gay marriage is, feminism is and how all of our "rights"  to free speech are gone. She reads the Herald Scum and agrees with all the right wing writers.   Her son- who is getting married for the 4th time this year agreed -  said that gay people had no right to get married as marriage was sacred and religious.  This from a guy who has left 3 wives and children for other women.  That is not the point though.  What is is to them ?  How does it effect him in any way if 2 men or 2 women want to marry. He is always sprouting out judging everyone and using religion to make a point.

They're not advocating for actual "free speech", they're advocating for fascism.
I mean, if free speech was truly gone, they wouldn't be complaining...because they couldn't.

All their shit about free speech is nothing more than a perpetual whine that they are the ones that can't handle speech and expression calling their ass out...and more so, that they can't use their beliefs to legislate the lives of others. Because somehow, equality for others is oppression for them. The only vision of "free speech" they really have is a world where it's only their own. So their fears and prejudices are preyed upon deliberately by the con men who sell it to them as if it's all for their "freedom". And little do they realize it's only a matter of time before that fascism turns on them...

This isn't just about a total shit hideous state like NC which actually makes Texas and Florida look open minded lately lol its gonna happen nationwide once Kennedy and Ginsberg are gone. That'll almost def happen in the next 3.5 years. Not just gonna be marriage but many, many other freedoms and rights achieved in the last 10-20 years. The GOP *platform makes their goals super clear! They didn't even try to be low key about it lol! Sorry but I'm gonna lol hard at the dim witted log cabin imbecile phags when they try to 'explain' losing their marriage, rights, Grindr, and possibly many bars and clubs w/out constant fear (pre Stonewall style). US is gonna be Russia by 2020 ish. Obviously states like CA, NY, WA and maybe some more will resist it and/or secede. Gays, millennials and many, many other lazy entitled dolts were warned and had their chance 5 months ago. Consequences are just starting now. 

Isn't it North Carolina that is getting hit hard financially with companies not wanting to do business with them because of the bathroom bill?  I can only imagine the backlash if this shit gets passed. 

They obviously dont care about the 'backlash'. They're looking at the big picture. What they're blatantly doing (along w/ all the other redneck cesspool states to follow in the next 3+ years) is getting their shit prepped up and ready to take their 'case' (identical to 2013 and 2015) but to a brand new crusty conservative dominant Supreme Court (aka get marriage and numerous other things overturned )

2 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

They're not advocating for actual "free speech", they're advocating for fascism.
I mean, if free speech was truly gone, they wouldn't be complaining...because they couldn't.

All their shit about free speech is nothing more than a perpetual whine that they are the ones that can't handle speech and expression calling their ass out...and more so, that they can't use their beliefs to legislate the lives of others. Because somehow, equality for others is oppression for them. The only vision of "free speech" they really have is a world where it's only their own. So their fears and prejudices are preyed upon deliberately by the con men who sell it to them as if it's all for their "freedom". And little do they realize it's only a matter of time before that fascism turns on them...

Yes, they keep talking about "free speech" yet don't want people to have freedom themselves.  They are anti gay rights,  anti Euthanasia, anti abortion, anti women having equal rights.  I hate being around them and always try to sit at the opposite end of the table.  Guess what too, they think Trump and Pauline Hanson are wonderful.  Everyone else just ignores their rants and hypocrisy.

There are a lot like them in the World though and they seem to feel they have a platform now. It really depresses me as they are so hateful, judgemental and bossy.     Some of the comments they make are vile and they think they have every right to want to deny others freedom of choice etc. 

7 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

They obviously dont care about the 'backlash'. They're looking at the big picture. What they're blatantly doing (along w/ all the other redneck cesspool states to follow in the next 3+ years) is getting their shit prepped up and ready to take their 'case' (identical to 2013 and 2015) but to a brand new crusty conservative dominant Supreme Court (aka get marriage and numerous other things overturned )

So awful to know that in 2017 people can think that way.  Truly depressing and Somewhat baffling. 

GOD is watching yall!!! the B I B L E  clearly states no lying down with other men!!! nothing about standing up, kneeling down !!! i never really understood why people care what two consenting adults do in their bedroom. i feel bad for yall , conservatism is  gonna make a come back the new generation doesn't like liberalism as much lol 

why is B I B L E  censored? * B I B L E 

There are much more pressing issues facing their state than banning marriage equality. Also, an outright ban won't be as popular as in previous decades. NC is actually becoming much more liberal in some parts & more people are moving in from other cities.

Let's hope the newer residents & younger voters in state won't tolerate these asshole politicians anymore. 

Arent the states obliged to follow federal law in the US? Hasn't the Supreme Court already ruled on the issue and isn't it ruling mandatory on the states, having in mind that US is part of the so called court precedent legal system (the ruling of the higher court is mandatory on the lower courts)? Doesn't this very conception make this law illegal? I mean any court would overturn it as it is obliged to follow the Supreme Court ruling?

^^^ THIS! A ruling of the SCOTUS becomes the law of the land. Therefore it doesn't matter if NC passes the law. If they declare all gay marriages illegal or if they refuse to marry gay couples they are breaking federal law. If they want to get rid of marriage equality they need to bring a lawsuit before the SCOTUS, Something that usually takes a lot of time since you cannot call upon the SCOTUS immediately. Usually you need to sue your way through the whole court system.

The Justice Department under Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III isn't likely to care much if states start violating this particular bit of federal precedent.  Look at how protracted the Kim Davis affair was even with the federal government firmly against her.  If states start refusing to issue marriage licenses for instance, they might very well be allowed to get away with it.  Laws like these are the first step towards getting the issue in front of the SC again when challenges take place.  There will be others in other states.  Similar to the constant abortion regulations that try to get Roe v. Wade in position to be overturned.