Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XXL

Melanie C on Madonna in Phil Marriott interview: "She's a pioneer"

22 posts in this topic

Phil   Now I know you love Madonna. You've said many times in interviews that you've been inspired by her, would you say she's the one artist you've been inspired by the most in your career?

Melanie C   Definitely, because I think I've discovered her at a really important time, I remember Live Aid, I think it was 1984 and it was the first time I'd seen her doing something live, a little switch clicked in me and I thought wow and then when she did the Blond Ambition Tour in 1990 I think, it was just everything. We don't see as much of Madonna now as we did obviously in those days and she was .... or we do (laughs)

Phil  She has a lot of competition nowadays

Melanie C   Kind of when she was just really ruling the world and that show was just perfection, from the choreography, she's a great dancer and vocally, Nikki and Donna her backing vocalists, the costumes, the set, i had never seen anything like that and she just blew my mind and it really inspired me

Phil  Does she still blow your mind now? I think she's still an incredible performer

Melanie C  Yes, absolutely, it's so hard, you know, I am a woman of a certain age in the music industry and things change, she's a pioneer

06:06

Although I am grateful to have lived long enough to have seen the many zeniths of Madonna's career, I feel a certain amount of sadness for younger people who will never know or experience that time when she was so dominant in the pop world. They will only see what was captured in films, stills, and TV interviews. They'll hear her music, but have no context for the world or culture at the time when her art was everywhere.

I am always happy to hear other artists still supporting her. Madonna is far more than a person, she's a living epoch that needed to happen.

Yaaasss!!! 

Amen @ Nightshade. I kind of think that scenario applies to other things in this world as well, outside of music.

36 minutes ago, Nightshade said:

Although I am grateful to have lived long enough to have seen the many zeniths of Madonna's career, I feel a certain amount of sadness for younger people who will never know or experience that time when she was so dominant in the pop world. They will only see what was captured in films, stills, and TV interviews. They'll hear her music, but have no context for the world or culture at the time when her art was everywhere.

I am always happy to hear other artists still supporting her. Madonna is far more than a person, she's a living epoch that needed to happen.

Wonderfully said.

I remember Mel saying in some interview that Bad Girl is her favorite Madonna song. :angel:

Love Mel C.

Her albums have been consistently great! Version of Me is a brilliant album.

6 hours ago, Nightshade said:

While there is a shade of that, I'm kind of glad that when I became a fan 7 years ago, I had this massive catalogue to explore, and all these tours and interviews to watch. In a way it's a totally different experience, but I don't think thats a necessarily bad thing.

1 hour ago, VeronicaElectronica said:

While there is a shade of that, I'm kind of glad that when I became a fan 7 years ago, I had this massive catalogue to explore, and all these tours and interviews to watch. In a way it's a totally different experience, but I don't think thats a necessarily bad thing.

Yes it's two different things, but each with their own advantages, I guess. I always wondered what it would be like to explore Madonna in reverse. It must be mind blowing, really. The sheer vast richness of it all...

She's always had nothing but praise and respect for her since her Spice Girls days. She and Geri were proper fans and I love them for it. 

M IS the original spice girl.

Sporty Madonna

93c2e45d5ee00e2cfbf70c95b7b65c31.jpg

Ginger Madonna

1995.jpg

Scary Madonna

6a00d8341c730253ef017c378a8475970b-250wi7e43ea0459a0704aa6b42440bb97afe3.jpg

Baby Madonna

rs_512x1024-150313111038-634.madonna-199

Steven Meisel “Vanity Fair 1992 Magazine Session” - HQ.jpg

Posh Madonna

1991-s10.jpg

why use past sentence? Madonna WAS blah blah..

1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

why use past sentence? Madonna WAS blah blah..

Have you read the interview?? She talks about 1990 when she discovered her and how she's a pioneer right now. No need to always look for the negative...

I LOVE MEL C

@horn I love it!

Melanie is the best! As you can tell from my picture! 

i really love this because melanie was my first real idol as a child, and just like what many people had in the 80s with madonna, when i first heard mel's voice i thought shes a black girl. interesting coincidence ;)

21 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

She's always had nothing but praise and respect for her since her Spice Girls days. She and Geri were proper fans and I love them for it. 

Yes !    Mel C has always loved Madonna and so has Geri who even named her daughter Bluebell Madonna after Madonna.   Mel C is fantastic and always has been the best singer in the Spice Girls and has made the best solo music as well by a mile. 

Mel C is the most talented Spice Girl

Melanie is the best! As you can tell from my picture! 

She's wonderful indeed

And what's always struck me about her is how incredibly down to earth and unplugged from the fame aspect of her life she seems to be. She's always kept it real, strong woman, I remember being 13 and falling in love with the SG songs. Two years later ROL came out and I fell in love with Madonna. They were always mentioning Madonna in interviews particularly at the very beginning of the SG fame

Madonna practically invented Girl Power and made it mainstream and on a never seen before scale in the first instance, it's great that they were the very first female figures from the following generation to mold that message onto themselves. Love that Madonna invited Melanie C at the 2005 London premiere of IGTTYAS. 2005, a golden year for both Madonna and Melanie. Out of all the Spice Girls she's had the most consistent and more than respectable solo career, musically speaking, she is great

I'll take Melanie C's music catalogue and her persona over the big-number younger acts with a huge payola team behind them but completely shallow and mannequin-like such as Taylor Swift & Co any day

10_zpsosdwm092.png

11_zpswh33ccjp.png

Yes !    Mel C has always loved Madonna and so has Geri who even named her daughter Bluebell Madonna after Madonna.   Mel C is fantastic and always has been the best singer in the Spice Girls and has made the best solo music as well by a mile. 

:thumbsup: 

geri.jpg

M IS the original spice girl.

Sporty Madonna

93c2e45d5ee00e2cfbf70c95b7b65c31.jpg

Ginger Madonna

1995.jpg

Scary Madonna

6a00d8341c730253ef017c378a8475970b-250wi7e43ea0459a0704aa6b42440bb97afe3.jpg

Baby Madonna

rs_512x1024-150313111038-634.madonna-199

Steven Meisel “Vanity Fair 1992 Magazine Session” - HQ.jpg

Posh Madonna

1991-s10.jpg

:inlove:

:clap: 

Always great to hear other artists talk about M.

Love Mel C. Always have.