MadonnaNation.com Forums
Shaun

Patrick Leonard's Instagram

loowee    0

It is different, nowadays she may not even meet the artist she collaborates on studio

She collaborated with Nicki, MIA, Nas, Timbaland etc. all in studio, don't know what your point has anything to do with the discussion. We were talking about the motives behind her working with these so called "youthful" artists.

loowee    0

It's also funny how men like Diplo, Kanye, Timbaland, David Guetta etc. are all at (or near) their 40s and no one ever says a thing about them "trying to keep up with the kids".

Shaun    0

It's also funny how men like Diplo, Kanye, Timbaland, David Guetta etc. are all at (or near) their 40s and no one ever says a thing about them "trying to keep up with the kids".

Bingo.

Madonna can still score hits. and will. being an older woman makes it harder, not impossible.

she needs a new PR/Manager.

and a new approach to her vocals and songs.

I'm pretty sure it will happen soon

surannée    0

I don't know if you are all aware of that, but Patrick Leonard wrote and co-produced Leonard Cohen's very acclaimed last two albums. It's really strange and fascinating to hear a bit of Madonna in this:

vocalism    0

Featuring wasn't even a thing back then, and if it was I'm sure Take A Bow would've been billed as Take A Bow (feat. Babyface) or some shit like that since Bedtime Stories was an obvious attempt of damage control. She also wanted Eminem to feature on American Life (the song) but it didn't happen. 

Again Madonna has always been on the pop wheel and she has worked with trendy and "hip" musicians throughout her career, Nile Rodgers, Prince, Bjork, Babyface, Ricky Martin, Britney, Missy Elliot, Eminem & Goldfrapp(didn't materialize) etc. The only times that I think she did collabs mostly for commercial reasons were Bedtime Stories and Hard Candy. She's just very interested in exploring new talents and trends, unlike many of her fans who are stuck in their own time. Nicki Minaj is talented at what she does and all of their collabs so far have been good, it really is no different from her working with Prince or Bjork back in the days. 

Pop artists have been featuring rappers (and other artists) for decades and it became especially popular in the late '80s and early '90s. Jody Watley, Michael, and Janet all featured rappers on their songs. Then, of course, Mariah started doing it - Boyz II Men, 98 Degrees, every rapper alive... Madonna could have jumped on that bandwagon much sooner but didn't need to. She was even very selective about who she did duets with. Yes, she has always collaborated, but it's mostly been a producer/songwriter thing. 

loowee    0

Pop artists have been featuring rappers (and other artists) for decades and it became especially popular in the late '80s and early '90s. Jody Watley, Michael, and Janet all featured rappers on their songs. Then, of course, Mariah started doing it - Boyz II Men, 98 Degrees, every rapper alive... Madonna could have jumped on that bandwagon much sooner but didn't need to. She was even very selective about who she did duets with. Yes, she has always collaborated, but it's mostly been a producer/songwriter thing. 

I'm skimming through hot 100 year-end charts and it looks like pop artists featuring rappers didn't become a trend until the mid 90s? 

vocalism    0

I'm skimming through hot 100 year-end charts and it looks like pop artists featuring rappers didn't become a trend until the mid 90s? 

A trend? Sure. It definitely became the thing to do in the mid '90s. Mariah is "credited" with popularizing it after "Fantasy" with ODB, but we all know that Madonna, Michael, Janet, Jody, etc. did it years before her. What I'm saying is that whether it started in the 80s or in the mid 90s, Madonna didn't jump on that bandwagon until Hard Candy, and then it's been pretty frequent ever since. There's a reason for that. But there's no shame in it and I'm not against it - she's a pop artist who wants to sell records and concert tickets. My point is that there's nothing wrong with admitting there's commercially conscious element to what she's doing. 

agclef    0

She already makes great (even amazing) music. And looking beautiful and working with younger artists is not "chasing youth." The majority of Madonna's contemporaries are either washed up, making covers albums, or dead.

Uhh, you left out the rest of my quote about the best songs on Rebel Heart.  Yes she is making great music currently, however these throwaway collaborations are becoming tiresome.  I understand she want to try new things and different collaborations, but in my opinion SHE IS BETTER THAN THAT!

VogueMusic    0

tumblr_mb7talJdFO1qfx0b8o1_500.gif

elijah    0

I don't know if you are all aware of that, but Patrick Leonard wrote and co-produced Leonard Cohen's very acclaimed last two albums. It's really strange and fascinating to hear a bit of Madonna in this:

that's another proof Leonard also needs Madonna: imagine this with the hooks, melodies and the pop sensibility of M. Ciccone. It could have been great and now its not :(

Bill    0

:inlove:

Her success in the 80's is just mind-boggling.

he listens to us fans, didn't someone (Karby?) request him to do this song??

Look how he is praising our M, he's so sweet!

karbatal    0

No, i didn't. But it's nice he did aknowledge the greatness of this song! 

Well, I would love Madonna to follow him too. 

Jamesy    0

On his La Isla Bonita post the other day I asked if he could revisit The Look of Love.

Amazed he noticed and did!!