SPM

Patrick Leonard's Instagram

369 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This shows up why Madonna is such a great pop singer. I never see this as a put-down because singing 'pop music" is much more difficult than people imagine and Madonna did it so effortlessly and beautifully. Marilyn has a very good voice and loved her vocals on Seperate lives but she does not make this song come alive.  If Madonna had done it, it would have been pop magic.   Great melody and a song that was wasted. 

Madonna does have that pop magic. A lot of people don't see it but you don't become the Queen of Pop without it. Her "pleeeeeaaaaase" from Papa Don't Preach, the vocal performance in Open Your Heart, the numerous other songs that would have been so flat without her pop magic. Have you ever heard a great Madonna cover??? Very, very, very few because people don't have that "it factor". Her voice has such an appeal to it that greatly resonates in the pop genre. Changing you "look" gets yo only so far. That woman is the epitome of POP MAGIC and no one can touch her. 

26 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

Madonna does have that pop magic. A lot of people don't see it but you don't become the Queen of Pop without it. Her "pleeeeeaaaaase" from Papa Don't Preach, the vocal performance in Open Your Heart, the numerous other songs that would have been so flat without her pop magic. Have you ever heard a great Madonna cover??? Very, very, very few because people don't have that "it factor". Her voice has such an appeal to it that greatly resonates in the pop genre. Changing you "look" gets yo only so far. That woman is the epitome of POP MAGIC and no one can touch her. 

Preach 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

48 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

hell ya u know it!!!

9 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

So true.  She makes pop music exciting, special and effortless - like no one else can. 

11 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This shows up why Madonna is such a great pop singer. I never see this as a put-down because singing 'pop music" is much more difficult than people imagine and Madonna did it so effortlessly and beautifully. Marilyn has a very good voice and loved her vocals on Seperate lives but she does not make this song come alive.  If Madonna had done it, it would have been pop magic.   Great melody and a song that was wasted. 

So well said! 100% agree!!

12 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

IMG_6357.GIF

15 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

So true. Madonna's talent for writing melodies and pop hooks and then taking that magic further into the recording studio is unparalleled. Pat, Bray, Orbit etc. understood that magic and had the production talent to complement it.

I'm convinced that when she returns to her pop sensibilities production wise, she'll have another classic album on her hands. It's what people (not necessarily loons like us) are waiting for.

16 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

anigif_enhanced-22371-1462992805-3.gif?d

23 hours ago, mafalda said:

I'd love to hear Madonna singing Possessive Love, I even bought the track on iTunes. I wonder if there's a higher quality file of the Extended Mix doing the rounds? Mine is shitty 128 kbps only.

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/5OtOJYxX/file.html

You're welcome

OMG the "Angels" snippet, I'm dying !! :blink: yes, it sounds a bit like Tell Me and Possessive Love :inlove:

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:16 AM, Rugbyguy said:

He did publicly say he wasn't happy with what Orbit and Madonna did with Skin after Leonard was dropped from ROL. I got the gist from his comments that it was never intended to be a dance song. I assumed that was what this poster was referring to. 

I didn't know he said that about Skin, disappointing as the final version is brilliant... I remember at the time he already said he didn't appreciate that Like A Prayer was turned into a dance tune, that's why with the further releases only Express Yourself and Keep It Together were remixed but not Cherish, Oh Father or Dear Jessie...

how ironical then that few years later, all of his demos would be completely "remixed" by Orbit for ROL...

wish people would be aware of this

fjslfsl.jpeg  

yas.jpeg

TB did utilize live instruments (guitar, keyboards, "Papa" strings, etc. etc.), but it wasn't as "musical" as LAP.

I'd love for La Ciccone and Leonard to try working together now, to see what they could come up with.

On 14/07/2017 at 4:29 AM, Poison Flower said:

OMG the "Angels" snippet, I'm dying !! :blink: yes, it sounds a bit like Tell Me and Possessive Love :inlove:

I didn't know he said that about Skin, disappointing as the final version is brilliant... I remember at the time he already said he didn't appreciate that Like A Prayer was turned into a dance tune, that's why with the further releases only Express Yourself and Keep It Together were remixed but not Cherish, Oh Father or Dear Jessie...

how ironical then that few years later, all of his demos would be completely "remixed" by Orbit for ROL...

Apparently there is an unreleased remix of Cherish. I think it's by Nile Rogers.

4 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Apparently there is an unreleased remix of Cherish. I think it's by Nile Rogers.

Are you talking about the 7" version or the Extended version? Or is this like a whole different version? 

IMG_5749.JPG

I highly doubt Patrick had any say or control over what was remixed and what wasn't. "Cherish" and "Oh Father" are the kinds of songs that probably wouldn't get major remix treatments to begin with, especially back in 1989. 

4 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

Are you talking about the 7" version or the Extended version? Or is this like a whole different version? 

IMG_5749.JPG

A completely different remix. It may have been mentioned in the Bruce Baron goldmine article from several years ago. Supposedly in the vaults. Now I think if it, it's a separate Niles Rogers remix of LAV in the vaults. The unreleased remix of Cherish was by someone else. 

I believe Patrick's role in ROL project was more in song writing.

As for the production wise, it's WO but the decision on how the song should sound like (dance or ballad) still lied in M's hand.

Personally I dun think Patrick was "dropped" from ROL project since M still credit him as a writer.

Talking about dropping from M's project, one person comes in mind i.e. Shep Pettibone. He was removed completely from all BS songs & production credits, and left with "thanx for your understanding".

I would love to hear more details about the two musical projects Madonna was working on around 2004 (the Hello Suckers one and the one with Luc Besson). I know that Pat Leonard and M wrote several songs together during that time!