MadonnaNation.com Forums
Shaun

Patrick Leonard thread

16 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Could not give 2 shits if she doesn't get a single US radio spin or whatever...they MUST work on at least one more damn album. Their style, sound and chemistry would be ace with the state of the world now. 

THIS!!!!

3 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Was it If You Go Away?

that's Brel's song

20 hours ago, vocalism said:

There's something about this that reminds me of TPOG and TDDUP:

Ugh, I really wish M would work with him again. I can totally imagine her sitting down writing/singing new lyrics to this.

I'd love to have a new M album in this style. It's beautiful.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:16 AM, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Could not give 2 shits if she doesn't get a single US radio spin or whatever...they MUST work on at least one more damn album. Their style, sound and chemistry would be ace with the state of the world now. 

I agree. I'm certain that the minute she stops caring about US radio or commercial success in general (and I hope her recent comments about not being played on the radio anymore means she's finally realized it), that's when she will make magic and it will be a hit - even if "hit" simply means critical acclaim and great word of mouth. 

15 hours ago, Gus said:

Fingers crossed that they do work together again soon, he seemed very open about it in 2014

Would you like to work with Madonna again?

I would love to, because it's always really musically satisfying. We've done some things -- little things -- over the years. But the record-making/sitting down and writing songs together, we haven't done it in ages.

There was a musical play that she was considering and we got together and worked on some music, and we wrote a couple songs from scratch. And there was one ballad, and I remember the day we did it.

I had written the music and she wrote the lyrics and went in and sang it. And she came out of the booth and we both kind of looked at each other and she said, "You know, I think some things never change." It was just an immediately great song.

You know, my music, her words, her voice. There's a chemistry that's really cool. I would love to [work with her]. But I also deeply respect her trajectory, and we're on very different trajectories. I'm very happy right now working with (Cohen), who's just probably the greatest poet on earth. Makes me really happy.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5944767/madonna-producer-patrick-leonard-talks-like-a-prayer-at-25

Well, from the sound of the electronic stuff he's posting, maybe they're not on different trajectories anymore. Not to mention, songwriting is songwriting regardless of what genre or what sound she ends up going with. Look at ROL. 

11 hours ago, agclef said:

Yes, I agree.  She would have to ditch her idea of chasing youth and concentrate on making great music, I felt some of that with Rebel Heart (aside from the rap/eletronic songs).  Her ballads and mid-tempo songs are just lovely.  Would appreciate and entire album of just that, with electronic instrumentation of course - but Pat Leonards piano accompaniment is amazing.  

Totally. The ballads on RH prove that she's in the right frame of mind to collaborate with him again. It really, really, really needs to happen while they're both still around and making music. I just want her to lock herself in a studio with him for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Even she takes those songs and has Kanye produce them, I would be satisfied. 

Crossing my fingers they will write again together. It doesn't need to be an entire album for me, three or four great tracks will do. 

Well, maybe she's gonna hire Pat to write and Pharrell to produce. Oh Father with Candy Shop production sounds pretty good right? 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, SPM said:

This is so sweet! :inlove: 

I took the opportunity to thank him for all the magic he crafted along with Madonna.  He has still such few followers that I think he will read it.  Never in my life did I think that I could send him my thanks. 

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I took the opportunity to thank him for all the magic he crafted along with Madonna.  He has still such few followers that I think he will read it.  Never in my life did I think that I could send him my thanks. 

I discovered his instagram a few days ago, first I thought it was fake lol.

I hope Madonna follows him SOON.

On 4/9/2017 at 5:04 AM, horn said:

This is so sweet! :inlove: 

YES:brenspin:!!!! Gorgeous photo! Jesse looks as though she is on cloud nine w/ Madonna. She (M) is an absolute sweetheart.

Thank you to Patrick Leonard for sharing with fans his world with Madonna; through the years. Such salient history between the pair as well as Stephen Bray.  Phenomenal musical trifecta on par w/ Lamont/Dozier, Ashford & Simpson, Jones/Jackson/Templeman, and Rodgers/Edwards respectively.

As another fan noted at this juncture it's up to Madonna to decree which musical passage she wants to take. Good to see Leonard rolling along on his musical odyssey. Fine virtuoso in his own right.

Personally PL & M don't have anymore to prove to monopoly mainstream radio or to those flocks of insects known as critics. They've chastised:banghead: M for years.

PL & M's glorious legacy in music annals are etched in stone for perpetuity.

Edited by Anselme_Cristian

That picture above is giving me communist vibes^^^:inlove: that hat looks like a beret

how amazing would it be if they worked together again - i'll light a candle...

On 4/8/2017 at 0:14 PM, agclef said:

She would have to ditch her idea of chasing youth and concentrate on making great music.

She already makes great (even amazing) music. And looking beautiful and working with younger artists is not "chasing youth." The majority of Madonna's contemporaries are either washed up, making covers albums, or dead.

^ Why work with guest artists at all then? Madonna's a pop artist who wants pop hits and is well aware it's hard to do that on your own when you're a fiftysomething woman. 

^ Why work with guest artists at all then? Madonna's a pop artist who wants pop hits and is well aware it's hard to do that on your own when you're a fiftysomething woman. 

Madonna has wanted pop hits her entire career. That has nothing to do with "chasing youth." Madonna has been a collaborative artist since before her debut album. Why should ANY artists work together? The overwhelming majority of her work is solo and the first two singles from Rebel Heart were solo.

Madonna wanted Rebel Heart as it is. No point on going back again.  

Question is if she wants to call back other people from the past. She's VERY loyal and she may have felt bad for changing things and structures from Pat during the ROL sessions.  Then the project shelved for Hello Suckers...

Maybe she fears it can happen again. She respects writers a lot.  Remember the letter written to Shep after the changes with Bedtime Stories?  

I think that may be the reason.  

If anyone should be pressed to work with Madonna at this very moment by Guy Oseary: it should be Patrick, not Pharrel. And I like Pharrel, but was he ever a good match for Madonna? No. Patrick is the one that is capable of writing deep, meaningful music and she is great at putting her great pop sensibility stamp on it. Its that kind of music that really let Madonna shine and has cemented her as queen of pop. One has to simply listen to Frozen to know those are capable of creating masterpieces. She could let someone else produce it, but they should write. Like now.

I would love to see them collab for at least a couple songs just to see what they can do. The one thing I'd like from her for the new record is a more organic sound with real instruments/a band. I feel like we would get a lot of that with another collab.

If anyone should be pressed to work with Madonna at this very moment by Guy Oseary: it should be Patrick, not Pharrel. And I like Pharrel, but was he ever a good match for Madonna? No. Patrick is the one that is capable of writing deep, meaningful music and she is great at putting her great pop sensibility stamp on it. Its that kind of music that really let Madonna shine and has cemented her as queen of pop. One has to simply listen to Frozen to know those are capable of creating masterpieces. She could let someone else produce it, but they should write. Like now.

Fans should tag Guys name on Patrick's instagram account, Madonna also should be tagged. 

Didnt he work on WE? 

Madonna has wanted pop hits her entire career. That has nothing to do with "chasing youth." Madonna has been a collaborative artist since before her debut album. Why should ANY artists work together? The overwhelming majority of her work is solo and the first two singles from Rebel Heart were solo.

Right. And pop is very youth-centric, and increasingly so. Back in the 80s Tina Turner could score a huge hit, even in the late 90s Cher did the same. Madonna can't do that today for a very good (bad) reason. So of course she feels the need to feature guest artists like Lil Wayne and JT and Nicki Minaj on her singles. This isn't the same as being a "collaborative artist." Of course M has always collaborated with other artists, but you can count on one hand the number of duets or featured artists from the first 25 years of her career - and when she did do it, it was often for very obvious creative or personal reasons (Prince, Meshell, even Ricky Martin). There is no shame in what she's doing now, but let's be honest about it.

Right. And pop is very youth-centric, and increasingly so. Back in the 80s Tina Turner could score a huge hit, even in the late 90s Cher did the same. Madonna can't do that today for a very good (bad) reason. So of course she feels the need to feature guest artists like Lil Wayne and JT and Nicki Minaj on her singles. This isn't the same as being a "collaborative artist." Of course M has always collaborated with other artists, but you can count on one hand the number of duets or featured artists from the first 25 years of her career - and when she did do it, it was often for very obvious creative or personal reasons (Prince, Meshell, even Ricky Martin). There is no shame in what she's doing now, but let's be honest about it.

At least we can agree on one thing: Madonna is alive and well and creating! Great to be able to dissect her work, whether or not we see eye to eye.

Fans should tag Guys name on Patrick's instagram account, Madonna also should be tagged. 

Didnt he work on WE? 

No - he did the score for "I Am Because We Are".

Madonna wanted Rebel Heart as it is. No point on going back again.  

Question is if she wants to call back other people from the past. She's VERY loyal and she may have felt bad for changing things and structures from Pat during the ROL sessions.  Then the project shelved for Hello Suckers...

Maybe she fears it can happen again. She respects writers a lot.  Remember the letter written to Shep after the changes with Bedtime Stories?  

I think that may be the reason.  

I think you're thinking of the letter she wrote to Pat when she decided to work with William Orbit instead of him on ROL (it was posted a couple of pages back).  Shep was given a shout out in the liner notes of BS ("Thanks for understanding") - he was clearly upset, though, because he went on to lodge a copyright claim against Madonna for "Secret" (Tony Shimkin, who himself was initially robbed by Shep of a co-writer's credit for almost everything on "Erotica" actually believes that Madonna was being very generous by giving Shep a retrospective co-writer's credit for "Secret", because he didn't think he deserved it).   

Featuring wasn't even a thing back then, and if it was I'm sure Take A Bow would've been billed as Take A Bow (feat. Babyface) or some shit like that since Bedtime Stories was an obvious attempt of damage control. She also wanted Eminem to feature on American Life (the song) but it didn't happen. 

Again Madonna has always been on the pop wheel and she has worked with trendy and "hip" musicians throughout her career, Nile Rodgers, Prince, Bjork, Babyface, Ricky Martin, Britney, Missy Elliot, Eminem & Goldfrapp(didn't materialize) etc. The only times that I think she did collabs mostly for commercial reasons were Bedtime Stories and Hard Candy. She's just very interested in exploring new talents and trends, unlike many of her fans who are stuck in their own time. Nicki Minaj is talented at what she does and all of their collabs so far have been good, it really is no different from her working with Prince or Bjork back in the days. 

Featuring wasn't even a thing back then, and if it was I'm sure Take A Bow would've been billed as Take A Bow (feat. Babyface) or some shit like that since Bedtime Stories was an obvious attempt of damage control. She also wanted Eminem to feature on American Life (the song) but it didn't happen. 

Again Madonna has always been on the pop wheel and she has worked with trendy and "hip" musicians throughout her career, Nile Rodgers, Prince, Bjork, Babyface, Ricky Martin, Britney, Missy Elliot, Eminem & Goldfrapp(didn't materialize) etc. The only times that I think she did collabs mostly for commercial reasons were Bedtime Stories and Hard Candy. She's just very interested in exploring new talents and trends, unlike many of her fans who are stuck in their own time. Nicki Minaj is talented at what she does and all of their collabs so far have been good, it really is no different from her working with Prince or Bjork back in the days. 

It is different, nowadays she may not even meet the artist she collaborates on studio