Ciccone's Cheeks

M hit songs you never or rarely hear on the radio anymore

46 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2017 at 1:52 PM, KalamazooJay said:

Secret is a pretty glaring omission from radio airplay. Which I'll never understand. Everyone loves that song. 

Ray of Light is another song that doesn't seem to get much airplay on any kind of 90's at noon bullshit either. 

Overall, her 90's catalog is CRIMINALLY ignored and underappreciated by the general public and radio. Any time a 90's Madonna song comes on at a part I'm hosting, it's the same reaction EVERY TIME: 

'OH! I forgot about this song! I used to love it!' 

Yeah. "Vogue" and "Take a Bow" are the ONLY '90s songs I ever hear. Occasionally "Ray of Light" a few years back, but that's it. I think it's obvious why songs like "Justify My Love" and the Erotica songs are ignored today, and WO's electronic blippy bloopy production on the ROL singles is just very 1998. And I guess "Secret" was overshadowed by "Take a Bow," but it's insane to me that "Beautiful Stranger," "This Used to Be My Playground" and "I'll Remember" don't get any AC play. 

I never hear DYU or gambler :banghead:

^ I've never heard Gambler on the radio in my entire life! 

Danish music stations always play the same songs:

Vogue, Secret, American Pie, Don't Tell Me, Hung Up are virtually the only post-True Blue M songs that are ever played on Danish radio.

Are there charts that. Would state her songs with most radio airplay weekly? Would love to see a madonna royalty check from Past hits !

I heard "Ghosttown" the other day at IKEA! 

Are there charts that. Would state her songs with most radio airplay weekly? Would love to see a madonna royalty check from Past hits !

i know there is one in england.. but i dont know the site. ive seen it. madonna is one of the most played women. i think shes only behind adele

I heard Secret at BJ's today. 

Surprisingly, I've never heard Vogue on the radio. The club, sure, but that's usually on 'Gay Might' or something like it.

Posted (edited)

Played Around The Clock (Only by working in a local retail store... PATHETIC!):

True Blue

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Deeper & Deeper

Take A Bow

Music

Don't Tell Me

LOCAL SOUTH FLORIDA RADIO (Palm Beach County)...

Lucky Star

Borderline

Holiday

Like A Virgin

Live To Tell

Who's That Girl

Vogue

Secret

Years ago a couple of Palm Beach County radio stations competed w/ one another on weekend's airing 80's music weekend Marathons. Pretty cool ...

One night drew up confidence to call a radio DJ; to request the song Causing A Commotion. He replied; "We don't play that." Asked him why? His retort; "We play songs that were most popular." Other times called in requested on a few occasions Who's That Girl among other 80's gems. Madonna was a staple on both radio stations.

Also will be forever grateful to 97.3 Coast FM for presentation of M's blue-ribbon True Blue album. Awesome listen.

One night drew up confidence to call a radio DJ; to request the song Causing A Commotion. He replied; "We don't play that." Asked him why? His retort; "We play songs that were most popular." Other times called in requested on a few occasions Who's That Girl among other 80's gems. Madonna was a staple on both radio stations.

Also will be forever grateful to 97.3 Coast FM for presentation of M's blue-ribbon True Blue album. Awesome listen.

P.S. Whenever in a Madonna listening mood; don't rely anymore on radio or TV. Refer to best source-- Her albums; YT and low and behold Madonna Nation :cool:.

Edited by Anselme_Cristian

Played Around The Clock (Only by working in a local retail store... PATHETIC!):

True Blue

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Deeper & Deeper

Take A Bow

Music

Don't Tell Me

LOCAL SOUTH FLORIDA RADIO (Palm Beach County)...

Lucky Star

Borderline

Holiday

Like A Virgin

Live To Tell

Who's That Girl

Vogue

Secret

Years ago a couple of Palm Beach County radio stations competed w/ one another on weekend's airing 80's music weekend Marathons. Pretty cool ...

Also will be forever grateful to 97.9 Coast FM for presentation of M's blue-ribbon True Blue album. Awesome listen.

Also will be forever grateful to 97.9 Coast FM for presentation of M's blue-ribbon True Blue album. Awesome listen.

P.S. Whenever in a Madonna listening mood; don't rely anymore on radio or TV. Refer to best source-- Her albums; YT and low and behold Madonna Nation :cool:.

Surprised LAP doesn't get play down there? It's the song I hear most in NYC on the radio. 

I've also heard CAC a few times up here. I've heard it way more than I've ever heard WTG on the radio. I would say it's the more popular of the two. It's weird that a DJ would say "we play songs that were most popular," because that's not actually what they're doing. If they were, "I'll Remember," which was bigger than many of her #1 hits, would get tons of airplay. They're playing songs that are most popular today, which is affected by what radio plays and also by what appears on her greatest hits albums. For example, I believe the reason "Angel," "Dress You Up," WTG, and CAC are less popular today is partly because they were left off of TIC. Not only is it possible that casual fans who own that album have forgotten those songs because of their omission, but for a long time radio was consistently playing TIC versions of songs, which means their playlists were probably lazily based off that album. So for years people never heard those songs and they are now "less popular." 

What radio stations is everyone listening to? I never hear any of her songs played, but I only listen to a Top40 station, the last song I heard of hers was GMAYL when that came out, but it wasn't in heavy rotation. 

When I hear her it is either frozen, la isla bonita, hung up or like a prayer..

When I hear her it is either frozen, la isla bonita, hung up or like a prayer..

Lucky you I NEVER hear HU. :( Assume youre not in the US. Most def hear LIB, LAP, ITG, MG waay too much! lol. I mean *always love hearing her..anything at this point but just wish certain songs would be stashed away for a few years and replaced with some others. 

A few weeks back, I heard a fun countdown of "crazy"  songs.  They all mentioned the word crazy.  When "Crazy for you"  come on, the radio announcer called her the "beautiful Queen of pop"  and I wanted to somehow kiss him through the airwaves !   Prince, Beyonce, Natalie Cole, Britney Spears, Fine young cannibals, Katie Melua, Icehouse were all featured with the obvious choices and even heard "You drive me crazy"  from Shakin Stevens.  Gnarls Barkly was number 1 with Crazy.   I never realized how many great songs mentioned "Crazy"  in the title.   Anyway, Madonna sounded as wonderful as ever on the radio.  

Surprised LAP doesn't get play down there? It's the song I hear most in NYC on the radio. 

I've also heard CAC a few times up here. I've heard it way more than I've ever heard WTG on the radio. I would say it's the more popular of the two. It's weird that a DJ would say "we play songs that were most popular," because that's not actually what they're doing. If they were, "I'll Remember," which was bigger than many of her #1 hits, would get tons of airplay. They're playing songs that are most popular today, which is affected by what radio plays and also by what appears on her greatest hits albums. For example, I believe the reason "Angel," "Dress You Up," WTG, and CAC are less popular today is partly because they were left off of TIC. Not only is it possible that casual fans who own that album have forgotten those songs because of their omission, but for a long time radio was consistently playing TIC versions of songs, which means their playlists were probably lazily based off that album. So for years people never heard those songs and they are now "less popular." 

Vocalism points well taken across board; won't expostulate with you. Bear in mind buddy conversation with Radio DJ was years ago; 80's format has been discontinued on 97.3 Coast.

A bit stunned when you say Causing A Commotion was bigger; would of thought Who's That Girl would have nod. However they are both gems among many in M's pearled treasure chest. Likewise with Angel, and Dress You Up which surely were on heavy radio rotation when M's meteorite Like A Virgin alighted both domestically and internationally... Many radio stations have or had been attached to her bread and butter songs aforesaid in this intriguing post.

It seems many radio stations have turned their backs on the Queen Of Pop. While disconcerting; content in having acquired bits and bobs of her musical catalog through the years. Really Ms. Ciccone's music lifeline is us here on M Nation (w/ affiliates) from all parts of the globe.

when they stopped playing M on the radio...was the real day the music died,

and I stopped listening!

Lucky you I NEVER hear HU. :( Assume youre not in the US. Most def hear LIB, LAP, ITG, MG waay too much! lol. I mean *always love hearing her..anything at this point but just wish certain songs would be stashed away for a few years and replaced with some others. 

I am in Germany. I really don't hear her that often. A friend of me always texts me when she hears an M song on the radio. Most of the time it is lap. Wish they'd play more!

Whenever I listen to the radio, the only one's I hear are ITG, Papa Don't Preach, La Isla Bonita, Holiday, Like a Prayer, Like a Virgin and Material Girl, Anyone would think Vogue, Music and Hung up would be on that list too but I haven't heard them played for years.

We all know M doesn't get Top 40 play anymore, but AC stations still play her alongside MJ and Prince, etc. Aside from the R&B-only stations. Or am I wrong?