Ciccone's Cheeks

M hit songs you never or rarely hear on the radio anymore

58 posts in this topic

Gotta say the DCFMA thread inspired me to create this thread ;) lol. What M songs (smash hits or hits on some kind of level/ top 40 do you never or rarely hear on the radio anymore on any format). 

Never hear:

DCFMA

*Justify My Love

Erotica

TUTBMP

Deeper and Deeper

Oh Father

AL

Keep It Together

Power Of Goodbye

You Must Love Me

Bad Girl

Frozen (think I hear ROL more) lol 

Hanky Panky

American Pie

Beautiful Stranger

Hung Up :( 

4 Minutes

GMAYL (no shock at all lol)

Very or semi rare:

Causing A Commotion 

LAV

WTG

You'll See

Rain and Express Yourself (used to hear them frequently for years on AC-ish stations but not lately) 

True Blue (though actually been hearing this a bit more the last few years)! 

Geezus sooo many hit songs- criminal at least some of them have no or minimal place on at least an 80s/90s oldies AC format radio.

Usual suspects I still hear religiously lol- ITG, MG, LAP, Vogue, LIB, Holiday, Crazy For You, Borderline, Lucky Star, and basically the rest of 'em. 

Secret is a pretty glaring omission from radio airplay. Which I'll never understand. Everyone loves that song. 

Ray of Light is another song that doesn't seem to get much airplay on any kind of 90's at noon bullshit either. 

Overall, her 90's catalog is CRIMINALLY ignored and underappreciated by the general public and radio. Any time a 90's Madonna song comes on at a part I'm hosting, it's the same reaction EVERY TIME: 

'OH! I forgot about this song! I used to love it!' 

16 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Secret is a pretty glaring omission from radio airplay. Which I'll never understand. Everyone loves that song. 

Ray of Light is another song that doesn't seem to get much airplay on any kind of 90's at noon bullshit either. 

Overall, her 90's catalog is CRIMINALLY ignored and underappreciated by the general public and radip. Any time a 90's Madonna song comes on at a part I'm hosting, it's the same reaction EVERY TIME: 

Yes Secret! Duh lol. Um..yeah, NEVER hear it :( Was the damn lead single,, amazing, popular video and a solid top 3 hit for months! Song was considered a comeback and 'return to form' after all the Erotica era backlash shit. I 'get' why AL, GMAYL and some of the others but Secret absolutely should still get some kind of love on radio. 

I never hear 4' anymore... 

2 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

Is "Secret" not getting played anymore? It was among her 15 or so biggest songs on recurrent airplay for years and years and years, back when that information was published regularly.

Cherish

TUTBMP

I'll Remember

Justify My Love

Rain

Erotica

True Blue

Secret

Who's That Girl

CAC

3 hours ago, KalamazooJay said:

Overall, her 90's catalog is CRIMINALLY ignored and underappreciated by the general public and radio. Any time a 90's Madonna song comes on at a part I'm hosting, it's the same reaction EVERY TIME: 

This.

During last weekend, I heard someone listening to This Used To Be My Playground in their car! 

It was pretty loud, but couldn't see who it was because there were too many cars in the street. I assume it was on the person's radio even though not sure if it's still played on adult radio stations. 

45 minutes ago, material_boy said:

Is "Secret" not getting played anymore? It was among her 15 or so biggest songs on recurrent airplay for years and years and years, back when that information was published regularly.

I don't have statistics but I personally don't hear. Ever. Lol. 

Girl gone wild

Gmayl

Nothing fails

Limiting this to U.S. Top 10s since the only non-Top 10s I ever hear are "Holiday" and "Into the Groove" (although I used to hear "Everybody and "Burning Up" fairly regularly too).

RARELY:

Angel
Dress You Up
Causing a Commotion
Express Yourself
Ray of Light
Music

NEVER:

Who's That Girl
Keep It Together
Hanky Panky
Justify My Love
Rescue Me
This Used to Be My Playground
Erotica
Deeper and Deeper
I'll Remember
Secret
You'll See
Don't Cry for Me Argentina
Frozen
Don't Tell Me
Die Another Day
Hung Up
4 Minutes
Give Me All Your Luvin'

I still hear Beautiful Stranger on the radio a fair bit here in the UK.

Also, Hung Up too, hear it a lot, more than most of her 80s catalogue actually.

21 minutes ago, vocalism said:

Limiting this to U.S. Top 10s since the only non-Top 10s I ever hear are "Holiday" and "Into the Groove" (although I used to hear "Everybody and "Burning Up" fairly regularly too).

RARELY:

Angel
Dress You Up
Causing a Commotion
Express Yourself
Ray of Light
Music

NEVER:

Who's That Girl
Keep It Together
Hanky Panky
Justify My Love
Rescue Me
This Used to Be My Playground
Erotica
Deeper and Deeper
I'll Remember
Secret
You'll See
Don't Cry for Me Argentina
Frozen
Don't Tell Me
Die Another Day
Hung Up
4 Minutes
Give Me All Your Luvin'

This is interesting. Because I hear the following pretty often here in west Michigan: 

Dress You Up 

Don't Tell Me 

Express Yourself 

Music 

Especially Don't Tell Me. It's "safe" I guess. 

55 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

This is interesting. Because I hear the following pretty often here in west Michigan: 

Dress You Up 

Don't Tell Me 

Express Yourself 

Music 

I hear all of these plus every once in a while I hear ROL, I'll Remember and Take a Bow. That's about it for post TIC hits. 

With the exception of JML, RM, Cherish, LTT, LAV and MG.... I hear TIC tracks all the time + True Blue (TB gets a lot of play for a song that is absent in all of her compilations).

24 minutes ago, mnino said:

I hear all of these plus every once in a while I hear ROL, I'll Remember and Take a Bow. That's about it for post TIC hits. 

With the exception of JML, RM, Cherish, LTT, LAV and MG.... I hear TIC tracks all the time + True Blue (TB gets a lot of play for a song that is absent in all of her compilations).

I hear LTT, LAV, and MG pretty frequently on AC radio (probably in that order), and I've actually been hearing "Cherish" a lot lately on Lite FM in NYC. 

1 hour ago, KalamazooJay said:

Dress You Up 

Don't Tell Me 

Express Yourself 

Music 

I used to hear "Music" pretty frequently, but as a few of us discussed in another thread recently, KTU in NYC has stopped playing older dance classics. I've never really heard EY very often (LAP gets all the play/love), but that and DYU once in a while. That's why I put them on my "rarely" list. Certain songs seem to get play in waves, at least here in NYC.

I also haven't listened to 102.7 in a long time. They used to play ROL pretty regularly. I'm sure they played some other 90s M hits too.

First of all It depends on the country... In Argentina Hung Up is the song that gets the most airplay. Songs like Sorry, Jump, Deeper and Deeper, Don't tell me, Girl Gone Wild, La Isla Bonita and of course Like a Prayer, Material Girl, Vogue and Like a Virgin, you can hear it on the radio everytime

There are songs that are famous in the US and you don't hear it here on the Radio: Cherish, Borderline, Angel, Dress you Up, Justify My Love, I'll remember, Holiday and a bit more...

Ironically enough I've heard Justif My Love on the radio quite often and it's almost always when Im at work! I have noticed though that her airplay is like zero. It's really weird cuz i mentioned it to my mom and she said that is SO TRUE! Not even her classics. Can't remember the last time I've heard holiday like a prayer frozen ray of light you'll see or rain on the radio. Even on the oldies station.

I agree most of her 90s hits are sadly overlooked.  These days I mostly just hear her 80s songs.

Here in Italy you can hear most of the 80s classics and many times also some of her 90s gems, if we're talking pre new millennium :thumbsup:

Wish we could hear more of songs like Crazy For You, Gambler, Cherish. Madonna is always loved by Italian radios. Huge replay factor and affection. Especially in between eras

They play Erotica all the time here and occasionally BIM and Candy Shop but thats it.

Believe it or not, "Justify My Love" & "Erotica" are on my supermarket radio regular playlist.

Imagine when you're buying fish, while choosing, the fishmonger looks at you and the radio plays "What are you gonna do? Talk to me"...

In the UK I would say Gambler, CAC, the look of love, jml, erotica, fever, band girl, anything from BS, NRM, TPOG, DW, NRM, WIFLFAG, anything from AL, Get Together, anything from 4M onwards!

On 4/5/2017 at 1:52 PM, KalamazooJay said:

Here in Québec around mtl, Ive heard "Secret" several times in the last year on boom fm. It always sound great.

"Beautiful Stranger " is a true classic as well. 

On 05/04/2017 at 11:30 PM, tasteinmen said:

I still hear Beautiful Stranger on the radio a fair bit here in the UK.

Also, Hung Up too, hear it a lot, more than most of her 80s catalogue actually.

Yeah I've noticed this as well. They seem to be Madonna favourites here.

17 hours ago, horn said:

Believe it or not, "Justify My Love" & "Erotica" are on my supermarket radio regular playlist.

Imagine when you're buying fish, while choosing, the fishmonger looks at you and the radio plays "What are you gonna do? Talk to me"...

:lmao::lmao:

May I ask where in the world this supermarket is because that is truly brilliant.

If only Tescos played those classics.