material_boy

POLL: Which "Music" leftover should have been included on "GHV2?"

Which "Music" leftover should have been a "GHV2" single?   97 members have voted

1. 1. Which "Music" leftover should have been a "GHV2" single?

• La Petite
    • Like an Angel Passing Through My Room
    • Liquid Love
    • Run
    • Arioso

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

On 31/03/2017 at 4:01 AM, S.E.X. said:

She hated GHV2. I mean...have you seen the tracklist? She was trolling so hard at that time and even mocked her label for "forcing her" to promote it.

That's right.

To be honest though it felt like the right time for another collection so I understand but Madonna wasn't wanting to play homage to her career at all in 2001.....the drowned world setlist is a testimont to that.

The irony is little did we know that post-2001 she would only have another couple of hits worthy to get on to a second greatest hits!

4 hours ago, Confessit said:

That's right.

To be honest though it felt like the right time for another collection so I understand but Madonna wasn't wanting to play homage to her career at all in 2001.....the drowned world setlist is a testimont to that.

The irony is little did we know that post-2001 she would only have another couple of hits worthy to get on to a second greatest hits!

Well, this is the arrogance from her that is so maddening. I mean, I get where she was in 2001. Riding high on her artistic and commercial achievements nearly 20 years into her career. And I can understand the DWT setlist to an extent. She had nearly 10 years worth of songs that hadn't been played live. Plus, ROL and Music were, and remain, two of my favorite albums by anyone of all time, so I had no problem hearing a setlist with the majority of songs being from those albums. 

However, for her not make a push to celebrate what was arguably her most diverse, rich, and experimental decade is criminal. She had MORE top 10's in the 90's than she did in the 80's. She had some of her most CRITICALLY acclaimed work during this time. She had some of the BEST videos of her career from Erotica onward. And she had the general public in the palm of her hand in 2001! The whole thing is shockingly negligent on her and her teams part and will forever be a stain in the eyes of many of her fans. 

I can't remember if I said that I didn't really like any of the Music demos except the abba song. It was really second rate ray of light stuff. I really don't like Run and Liquid Love just does nothing for me either. So glad she has the confidence yo move on to other producers 

1 hour ago, KalamazooJay said:

Well, this is the arrogance from her that is so maddening. I mean, I get where she was in 2001. Riding high on her artistic and commercial achievements nearly 20 years into her career. And I can understand the DWT setlist to an extent. She had nearly 10 years worth of songs that hadn't been played live. Plus, ROL and Music were, and remain, two of my favorite albums by anyone of all time, so I had no problem hearing a setlist with the majority of songs being from those albums. 

However, for her not make a push to celebrate what was arguably her most diverse, rich, and experimental decade is criminal. She had MORE top 10's in the 90's than she did in the 80's. She had some of her most CRITICALLY acclaimed work during this time. She had some of the BEST videos of her career from Erotica onward. And she had the general public in the palm of her hand in 2001! The whole thing is shockingly negligent on her and her teams part and will forever be a stain in the eyes of many of her fans. 

My feelings exactly. 

That was the time that she would roll her eyes every time someone mentioned LAV or MG. She was so over her own past career at that time. Too bad because I believe that if she had promoted GHV2 more, these singles would have been remembered more by the public. As it is now, besides TUTBMP, TAB, ROL, Music and DTM, most of the 90's singles don't get much recurrent airplay and will be forgotten by the GP (in the US). 

16 hours ago, Confessit said:

Die Another Day, American Life, Hollywood, Me Against The Music, Hung Up, Sorry, Get Together, Jump, 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and Celebration all hit the Top 10 in multiple European countries (I know that many will declare that this single or that single aren't worthy of a "hits" album, but the fact remains that they were, by definition, Top 10 hits...).

14 hours ago, Carta said:

Die Another Day, American Life, Hollywood, Me Against The Music, Hung Up, Sorry, Get Together, Jump, 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and Celebration all hit the Top 10 in multiple European countries (I know that many will declare that this single or that single aren't worthy of a "hits" album, but the fact remains that they were, by definition, Top 10 hits...).

Get Together and Jump are the only ones that I would not consider global hits. All the others made the Top 40 year-end global chart which is no small feat.

Do doubt: Like an Angel Passing Through my Room.

2 hours ago, mnino said:

Get Together and Jump are the only ones that I would not consider global hits. All the others made the Top 40 year-end global chart which is no small feat.

A very good point!  I think as fans of someone who inevitably reached the Top 10 in multiple countries with pretty much everything she released from 1984 through to 2009 ("Miles Away" being the first real glitch, mainly thanks to the UK not showing any interest in it at all), we developed a distorted view of what constituted a hit (by "normal" standards).  Making the Top 40 Year End Global Chart is incredible, especially given the number of singles that are released in any given year (and the fact that pretty much anything can chart these day - Ed Sheeran's recent ridiculous domination of the "singles" charts being an extreme example). 

I'd say either Like an Angel Passing Through My Room (it would have closed the compilation really well, plus it's a fantastic ballad) or Run (the rock sound is cool, I could totally imagine her perform this in the same vein she performed Burning Up on the RIT/RHT).

La Petite and Liquid Love don't really fit, while Arioso is kind of Ray of Light 2.0, not Music 2.0.