material_boy

POLL: Which "Music" leftover should have been included on "GHV2?"

Which "Music" leftover should have been a "GHV2" single?   97 members have voted

1. 1. Which "Music" leftover should have been a "GHV2" single?

• La Petite
    • Like an Angel Passing Through My Room
    • Liquid Love
    • Run
    • Arioso

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

Consider this a special entry to the series of singles polls.

It's 2001. Madonna is riding high after back-to-back smash hit albums that were darlings of critics around the world. The queen has just wrapped her first tour in eight years -- itself a critical darling and box office smash hit -- and is set to release her second greatest hits album, "GHV2." Lacking new material to promote the album, Warner Bros. has asked you to take a listen to tracks leftover from M's most recent album and pick one to include on "GHV2" and release as a single to promote the album. What's your choice?

Note: I think that I've included all the "Music" leftovers that leaked in full. (I didn't include "Mysore Smile" since only the instrumental leaks or "Wonderland" since only a 47 snippet of her humming has leaked.) Let me know if I missed one and I'll update the poll to include it.

Previous rounds:

I voted "Like an Angel Passing Through my Room" of course. I am obsessed with this cover. It's probably the best thing she ever left on the cutting room floor. I understand she had just covered a classic song with Orbit, and probably didn't want to repeat herself, but I can't help but think this was a surefire #1 hit for Christmas 2001 :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Arioso? 

I prefer the slower version of little girl. Run would have been good if it had a more dance beat and less guitar. 

Liquid Love gets my vote.  I adore it.  LAAPTMR is beautiful too, though.  Tough choice.

Run is cool, too.  It actually reminds me of her very early demos, before the first album.  

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Arioso? 

Ah! Thank you for catching that. For some reason, my brain always lumps it in with "ROL" demos. It's added now.

Run is a fun track 

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

Liquid Love gets my vote.  I adore it.  LAAPTMR is beautiful too, though.  Tough choice.

Run is cool, too.  It actually reminds me of her very early demos, before the first album.  

Yes! I've always thought this track sounded like a 2000s update of her pre-"Madonna" demos. It fits right in alongside "Are You Ready For It" and others.

It's a great little song. I'd have loved it to be a B side to some single in the "Music" era. Too bad we had to wait so many years for it to leak.

None of them captured what Madonna was expressing when the compilation was released.  Now that we have more information and we know that Hollywood was already written and only waiting for a correct production,  I think it should have been the perfect bonus. 

Liquid Love

Liquid Love was way too good to remain unreleased.

Arioso is by far the best.

Even if I prefer Liquid Love, Run gets my vote because it's more of a bridge between Music and the more guitar based American Life era and the Headnclnr mixes.

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

None of them captured what Madonna was expressing when the compilation was released.  Now that we have more information and we know that Hollywood was already written and only waiting for a correct production,  I think it should have been the perfect bonus. 

I've wished for years that a "Music" era demo of "Hollywood" would leak. I've always thought the "American Life" version of the song was one of Mirwais's weaker works, but I love the lyrics. I would die to hear what the original acoustic version or the Sigsworth version of the song sounded like.

1 hour ago, Runaway Lover said:

They're all too weak to be included. Unfortunately. 

"Runaway Lover", one of the songs that made it to the final track listing of Music, has spoken. Close this thread :lol: 

Like an angel passing through my room. Ome of my favorite ABBA songs covered by the queen, what gets better than that!!

That Angel cover could have worked well as a Christmas thing, especially in the UK.

But after AP, it might have been too much...

Liquid Love

3 hours ago, material_boy said:

I voted "Like an Angel Passing Through my Room" of course. I am obsessed with this cover. It's probably the best thing she ever left on the cutting room floor. I understand she had just covered a classic song with Orbit, and probably didn't want to repeat herself, but I can't help but think this was a surefire #1 hit for Christmas 2001 :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

I love her cover of "Like an Angel Passing through my room"  too.  The only time I have heard someone cover an Abba song and prefer the cover.  I know she said that this song reminded her of her mother and I also think that makes it personal and beautiful.  

I'm glad she didn't release that ABBA cover. It's sappy. It's good to be played at an old folks' home and nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I'm glad she didn't release that ABBA cover. It's sappy. It's good to be played at an old folks' home and nothing else. 

Watch out Crystal Coffin.  You night get a devil spirit passing through your room instead and the angel would be nowhere to help you. :nervous:

35 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

Watch out Crystal Coffin.  You night get a devil spirit passing through your room instead and the angel would be nowhere to help you. :nervous:

"Devil Pray" > LIKE AN ANGEL BORINGLY PASSING THRU MAH ROOM

9 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Devil Pray" > LIKE AN ANGEL BORINGLY PASSING THRU MAH ROOM

Devil pray is one of my favourite Madonna songs ever.  

Liquid Love is ROL-ish all over.

So none.