Suedehead

After all these years, this remains my favourite live version of "La Isla"

48 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

It was the album version in full glory. The version I was waiting for since the GS. One of my fav performances of RH. 

I wished she performed the original version of the songs she has never (or rarely) performed live

songs like La isla, Like a virgin, even Candy Shop... they have been performed so many times that they need some kind of re-invention to make them interesting and avoid the "rehash" effect...
that's just my opinion

On 3/27/2017 at 5:49 PM, Flip The Switch said:

It was the album version in full glory. The version I was waiting for since the GS. One of my fav performances of RH. 

THIS. 

It was fabulous.  And that stomping sound added during the chorus was LIFE.

...hmmm, she finally goes back to an original arrangement (or as close it's probably going to get), and now it's 'uninspired' and 'rehashed'...?  :doh:

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

THIS. 

...hmmm, she finally goes back to an original arrangement (or as close it's probably going to get), and now it's 'uninspired' and 'rehashed'...?  :doh:

well it's a matter of taste anyways
30 years into her career I'd rather hear new reinvented versions of her older hits than the same album versions over and over again (and apparently Madonna feels the same way about some of her repertoire)
after all, re-inventing herself is what kept her  interesting for so long

besides you don't have to totally transform a song to make it sound fresh and updated
Confessions tour Like a virgin is a good example of that: the song keeps its identity but at the same time the arrangement and the visuals make for an great re-invention

I didn't say RHT La isla was bad or that I didn't enjoy it, it just felt a bit uninspired

Well, I'm always for the version I felt in love with. In this case La Isla, Like a Prayer, Who's That Girl (actually love the RH version), are some of my favs and had so much potential to lose that album effect.

That's why I love so much the DWT and Live 8 version of Ray of Light. 

I'm surprised the Live Earth version is overlooked. My personal fave :inlove:

15 hours ago, cocolattee said:

well it's a matter of taste anyways
30 years into her career I'd rather hear new reinvented versions of her older hits than the same album versions over and over again (and apparently Madonna feels the same way about some of her repertoire)
after all, re-inventing herself is what kept her  interesting for so long

besides you don't have to totally transform a song to make it sound fresh and updated
Confessions tour Like a virgin is a good example of that: the song keeps its identity but at the same time the arrangement and the visuals make for an great re-invention

I didn't say RHT La isla was bad or that I didn't enjoy it, it just felt a bit uninspired

Taste aside, that's exactly what she's done most of the time. Out of, what, 6 versions, at least half are re-inventions, with the other few fairly close to the album version, but still being fresh arrangements. She's actually never done the literal album arrangement on stage anyway, so...

To your second point, she did exactly that - updated it but kept it fairly close to the original 'identity'. Plus, it came after three tours that greatly reinvented the song, so it was kind of a long time coming.

Now if you're speaking purely of the staging, or the visual backdrop, I can understand that. But overall, I think it filled it's purpose in this show.

8 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Taste aside, that's exactly what she's done most of the time. Out of, what, 6 versions, at least half are re-inventions, with the other few fairly close to the album version, but still being fresh arrangements. She's actually never done the literal album arrangement on stage anyway, so...

To your second point, she did exactly that - updated it but kept it fairly close to the original 'identity'. Plus, it came after three tours that greatly reinvented the song, so it was kind of a long time coming.

Now if you're speaking purely of the staging, or the visual backdrop, I can understand that. But overall, I think it filled it's purpose in this show.

that's exactly what I meant
it did fill its purpose in the show overall since other classic hits were so radically reinvented (True Blue, Who's that girl, Like a virgin...) and this one didn't need to be transformed sonically/musically, so it was nice that she kept it close to the original in terms of the musical arrangement
it's the staging, visual backdrop and dancing that felt a bit "recycled"
the backdrop video alone was similar to the one used for S&S Spanish lesson... if I remember correctly

+ I just re-watched Live earth version of la Isla and.... wow. What a great performance. And she looks fenomenal.

it is wonderful and she looks amazing! i also love The Girlie Show performance 

On 3/29/2017 at 0:04 AM, VogueMusic said:

THIS. 

Tea baby!

Every live version is great but I feel the Confession performance didn't really fit the theme of the tour. I wish she stuck with Everybody instead of changing it at the last minute. That "let the DJ shake you" mix that Stuart did was perfection.

The red dress she wore during the WTGT was really beautiful. Wish I had been alive to see it myself. It's true that La Isla Bonita is one the most performed songs by Madonna and that can only mean one thing: She really loves it! No matter if she's playing in Canada, Japan, or even Australia, everyone in the audience gets to feel the latin vibe!

We latinos are so fortunate to be the exact opposite of stiff.

Words can't express. Truly. 

mine too.

With all honesty, I love ALL the versions of LIB. Truly.

It's one of those songs that just lends itself well to re-invention...and I've enjoyed each one of them.

I agree completely. While I prefer some versions more than others, she's never done a "bad" performance of this song. Unlike, say, Hung Up or Ray of Light. 

S&S is my least favorite rendition of LIB but it's still solid. 

My favorite is the Girlie Show tour one, but that one is really good too! :)

I can't believe the lack of love here for the Confessions Tour version! That was the first time I loved the song. I thought that was a perfect update to it.

I'm surprised the Live Earth version is overlooked. My personal fave :inlove:

Don't you ignore my post! :noway:

I can't believe the lack of love here for the Confessions Tour version! That was the first time I loved the song. I thought that was a perfect update to it.

It is fabulous. The way it builds up to when her and the dancers make their way down the runway is heaven.

This was amazing! Only performance that comes close to me is Lela Palle Tute in S&S!

This song is timeless :drama:

On 4/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, techno101 said:

It was speed up with horrible vocoder effects. Totally lost its magic.

Love the Confessions version, always have. Much better than the S&S mix.

DWT for me - so beautiful!! RH is last because its was so dull. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I never seen her perform it before but for me it just felt like Madonna karaoke.