MadonnaNation.com Forums
Jazzy Jan

Why don't other female stars defend Madonna ?

LVX    0
1 hour ago, acko said:

Harry is always weird when asked about a broader insight in pop culture, not just Madonna.

She's even difficult when asked about her own massive influence on female sexuality in music.

She seems like a really shy/awkward person.

link41    0

Madonna has been praised by so many women. Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, Britney, Christina Aguilera, Whitney, Kylie Minogue, etc. She has acclaim and respect. A legend like Madonna doesn't need people of the industry to defend her.

Edited by link41
Add information.

This is an interesting topic.

I slightly disagree with the notion that Madonna isn't defended/praised/recognized by other female musicians I remember during the whole teen pop explosion of the late 90's when Britney, Christina, Jessica were tripping over themselves to compliment the queen. Hell, I even remember members of boy bands singing her praises. She just doesn't seem to need to be defended against the charges leveled at her, namely, because she's Madonna and also because she does such a good job of thumbing her nose at society and critics at every turn. Whether it be through what she says or what she does. 

And I don't buy into the notion there's this raging  jealously among other female pop stars when it comes to Madonna either. Yes, I'm sure there's a few. Gaga obviously stands out like a sore thumb with her inherit and insatiable need to follow in M's footsteps. But for the most part, I would call resounding respect, admiration, and awe. With each passing year, Madonna gives these women another page to study from her playbook. With each tour and album, they get to see the ONLY living pop legend show them how to navigate their careers as they age.

The time will come when her career is celebrated from the rooftops, I feel it coming, but now just isn't the time. I think with her next release, it'll coincide with her 60th birthday, and close to the 40th year since her debut.  At this point, I feel there will be a pretty large display of goodwill towards her in terms of media and press coverage. At least I hope so, she deserves one last commercial peak. 

Oh, and for those of you dissing or dismissing Debbie Harry? You need to educate yourselves when it comes to her influence and career. She's a pioneer in every single way. 

21 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Oh, and for those of you dissing or dismissing Debbie Harry? You need to educate yourselves when it comes to her influence and career. She's a pioneer in every single way. 

"Why's It So Hard" worked very well on The Girlie Show, and anyone who thinks otherwise, is the one who needs to be educated, actually. 

Many female singers who came before Madonna feel like she totally erased them when she appeared on the scene.  Regarding Debbie she tried to emulate Madonna by woring with Jellybean but since Madonna was not involved in the track "Feel the spin" it does not sound the way she wanted = like Into the groove (she praised the track). 

Then she signed on Sire Records but it was not a success so she blamed the A&R team to have only focused on Madonna (Prince did that too about Warner). Thing is, Debbie Harry's solo albums are very lackluster and she disappeared from the scene when Madonna appeared because she was heavily into drugs, Blondie's last album (Hunter) was a flop and Christ Stein fell ill and she chose to take care of him.

I don't think she's anti Madonna in this interview, she just does not want to get involved into that discussion because she thinks that by avoiding it she won't be dragged into it.

18 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Why's It So Hard" worked very well on The Girlie Show, and anyone who thinks otherwise, is the one who needs to be educated, actually. 

Perhaps we can sit next to each other in class. :queenbitch:

tuckeye    0

their PR probably tells them to stay away from anything controversial. that and just plain ole self-centeredness. lol.

because you will be always stay in her shadows...and because, if you defend madonna, you are defending more than a singer, dancer...you are defending a way of living, a way of going against a lot of things, and it¬īs very difficult to keep a career if you go against all the things she fights

Nikki    0

saying she could "easily" have madonnas career if she cared about showbiz is really denigrating.

she wouldnt dare say something similar about beyonce, if someone would ask 

Jazzy Jan    0
24 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

This is an interesting topic.

I slightly disagree with the notion that Madonna isn't defended/praised/recognized by other female musicians I remember during the whole teen pop explosion of the late 90's when Britney, Christina, Jessica were tripping over themselves to compliment the queen. Hell, I even remember members of boy bands singing her praises. She just doesn't seem to need to be defended against the charges leveled at her, namely, because she's Madonna and also because she does such a good job of thumbing her nose at society and critics at every turn. Whether it be through what she says or what she does. 

And I don't buy into the notion there's this raging  jealously among other female pop stars when it comes to Madonna either. Yes, I'm sure there's a few. Gaga obviously stands out like a sore thumb with her inherit and insatiable need to follow in M's footsteps. But for the most part, I would call resounding respect, admiration, and awe. With each passing year, Madonna gives these women another page to study from her playbook. With each tour and album, they get to see the ONLY living pop legend show them how to navigate their careers as they age.

The time will come when her career is celebrated from the rooftops, I feel it coming, but now just isn't the time. I think with her next release, it'll coincide with her 60th birthday, and close to the 40th year since her debut.  At this point, I feel there will be a pretty large display of goodwill towards her in terms of media and press coverage. At least I hope so, she deserves one last commercial peak. 

KalamazooJay,  I agree with you that the younger female stars mainly love Madonna which is great to see.

I feel though that she cops more criticism and horrible slander than any other female singer from the press and very rarely do other female singers say how wrong it is. I know they don't have to but just would be great to see women in the industry back each other as they do in the movie and tv industry. I  noticed it especially after her Billboard speech which I thought was one of the most inspirational and true speeches any female celebrity has ever given about sexism and ageism in the industry.  She herself called out that she did not seem to get support from others.   In comparison,  Meryl Streep was rightly defended and praised by everyone in the movie industry when she was criticised by Trump.  

I have noticed a lot of female singers of her own era and before her are very critical of her.  Not all of course but there has been many.  

Jazzy Jan    0
6 minutes ago, spazz said:

defend her against what? do I miss something ?

It was in the first post that Debbie Harry was asked in a interview about the double standards of Madonna being criticised for being too old for the music business at 58 and Mick Jagger at 73 was not. It was pointed out especially in the magazine article and I thought it was interesting and something to think about.  

The discussion went on from there - the fact that she is always slated for her age etc.  Interesting to read everyone's thoughts. 

Nikki    0
11 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

I have previously read in many interviews where Debbie has praised Lady Gaga and Cyndi Lauper but she never really has much time for Madonna, even though Madonna always acknowledges her and cites her as a major influence on her life.  

if that's true than she can go fuck herself.

no person should praise gaga while ignore or be disrespectful to madonna. we can forgive the stupid teens, but I cant forgive someone who should know better. 

and whats this Cindi praise? "girls just wanna have fun" is way more childish than madonna's bubblegum/early pop songs. seriously, what's wrong with these people?

Pedro    0
22 minutes ago, tuckeye said:

their PR probably tells them to stay away from anything controversial. that and just plain ole self-centeredness. lol.

Yes and

19 minutes ago, promise to try said:

because you will be always stay in her shadows...and because, if you defend madonna, you are defending more than a singer, dancer...you are defending a way of living, a way of going against a lot of things, and it¬īs very difficult to keep a career if you go against all the things she fights

Yes 

Django    0
19 minutes ago, Nikki said:

if that's true than she can go fuck herself.

no person should praise gaga while ignore or be disrespectful to madonna. we can forgive the stupid teens, but I cant forgive someone who should know better. 

:clap:

Mmmmm    0

She is just bitter that Madonna has been successful longer and gets more attention than she ever had. Basically Madonna took over! 

Jazzy Jan    0
15 minutes ago, Nikki said:

and whats this Cindi praise? 

Blondie is doing a national tour with Cyndi Lauper in April.  

Pedro    0
28 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

KalamazooJay,  I agree with you that the younger female stars mainly love Madonna which is great to see.

I feel though that she cops more criticism and horrible slander than any other female singer from the press and very rarely do other female singers say how wrong it is. I know they don't have to but just would be great to see women in the industry back each other as they do in the movie and tv industry. I  noticed it especially after her Billboard speech which I thought was one of the most inspirational and true speeches any female celebrity has ever given about sexism and ageism in the industry.  She herself called out that she did not seem to get support from others.   In comparison,  Meryl Streep was rightly defended and praised by everyone in the movie industry when she was criticised by Trump.  

I have noticed a lot of female singers of her own era and before her are very critical of her.  Not all of course but there has been many.  

I also think Madonna's speech was truly inspirational.

But there's a big big difference:

In Meryl's speech she has the whole Hollywood industry, the Free press, Democrats and liberals, and why not the whole world behind and agreeing with her message, fighting the same fight against oppression, discrimination and censorship. And all of them have taken a strong hand in making their inconformity be heard.

In Madonna's case, is just one (incredible) woman, who is making a strong statement against a whole powerful industry, even if they agree with her or not, they better not allie with her, in fear of any kind of repercussion. 

Nikki    0
4 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

Blondie is doing an national tour with Cyndi Lauper in April.  

ah what a surprise.

seems like everyone who doesn't like madonna likes gaga & cyndi. (ever since realising she actually didn't even write her hit songs yet gets SO much credit for it, Ive started to really find her annoying) I'll always choose Debbie over Cyndi and listen to blondie, but I expected her to be smarter than this

Jazzy Jan    0
12 minutes ago, Nikki said:

ah what a surprise.

seems like everyone who doesn't like madonna likes gaga & cyndi. (ever since realising she actually didn't even write her hit songs yet gets SO much credit for it, Ive started to really find her annoying) I'll always choose Debbie over Cyndi and listen to blondie, but I expected her to be smarter than this

Nikki,  I don't think that is correct.  Stacks of people like both Madonna and Cyndi Lauper.   The same as many love both Madonna and Debbie Harry.   The "little monsters"  feel this way but not the fans that come before them.  They just give their opinions the loudest on social media etc.   

caba1    0
12 hours ago, le smoking said:

I think it's because she has such a strong persona that most people don't feel the need to defend her...there's a lot about her that doesn't invite sympathy or empathy.  It's made her an untouchable legend, but it also dehumanizes her.  In comparison, someone like Britney is defended at every turn cuz she's so vulnerable and projects victimhood

THIS. and jelousy

Confessit    0

I was surprised there wasn't more suooort following the Brits fall.

As it's something every performer must dread! 

Apart from Cher and JK Rowling....

I expected tweets from Britney, Perry etc. 

Nikki    0
6 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I was surprised there wasn't more suooort following the Brits fall.

As it's something every performer must dread! 

Apart from Cher and JK Rowling....

I expected tweets from Britney, Perry etc. 

thats why I don't think she should befriend those pop girls. I feel like they don't really care about her