MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
boy skeffington

Madonna cover song extravaganza in Telegram

Bretticus    0

Well if anything, this shows that only Madonna can (and should) sing Madonna songs!

I didn't really care for how some of the musicians there insulted her saying her lyrics are bad and that she is the most inconsistent of 80's icons.  She just never gets the respect she deserves. 

I think you can cover her songs but not the most famous big hit ones and the most iconic ones. Some of the album tracks or lesser hits would be great. Julianna Hatfield did an excellent cover of Gone. 

3 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I didn't really care for how some of the musicians there insulted her saying her lyrics are bad and that she is the most inconsistent of 80's icons.  She just never gets the respect she deserves. 

I think you can cover her songs but not the most famous big hit ones and the most iconic ones. Some of the album tracks or lesser hits would be great. Julianna Hatfield did an excellent cover of Gone. 

Wow, really?! I clicked the link and quickly skimed through the article and caught the one that said her lyrics were bad but to be fair they were given "Push". I didn't pickup on the one that downgraded her legacy but then again like I said before I just glanced at the article. What exactly did they say? What song were they given to have made them feel the need to say that about her? It's almost like damn, tell us how you really feel!

EDIT: here's the quote if anybody else is curious:

"I think her music swings wildly," says Thompson. "Some of it's really mediocre pop, and then some of it comes close to classic. Of all the '80s music icons who stuck around, she's possibly the most inconsistent. 'Little Star,' which I was assigned and had never heard before, is so much better than any of the familiar songs that it floored me at first."

Paul    0

I only played about 10, but based on that sample, these are all terrible.

dollhouse    0

skipping this entirely.

Nikki    0
2 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

it's the trend nowadays and I'm so tired of it. it's all based just on madonna's unpopularity and I also think those stupid millennial singers and know alls have a lot to do with it.

Lolo    0

"I think her music swings wildly," says Thompson. "Some of it's really mediocre pop, and then some of it comes close to classic. Of all the '80s music icons who stuck around, she's possibly the most inconsistent. 'Little Star,' which I was assigned and had never heard before, is so much better than any of the familiar songs that it floored me at first."

Seriously, shut the fuck up you Thompson idiot and leave Little Star alone too. Close to classic??? CLOSE??? I'm soooo done with people like him who think they invented good music and can hold a candle to the most successful female recording artist of all time. I won't even listen to his stupid cover, I'm sure it's sucks balls. 

Nick    0
5 hours ago, Nikki said:

it's the trend nowadays and I'm so tired of it. it's all based just on madonna's unpopularity and I also think those stupid millennial singers and know alls have a lot to do with it.

Remember there wasn't very good or progressive pop music before the millennial generation! Haha

Nikki    0
1 hour ago, Lolo said:

Seriously, shut the fuck up you Thompson idiot and leave Little Star alone too. Close to classic??? CLOSE??? I'm soooo done with people like him who think they invented good music and can hold a candle to the most successful female recording artist of all time. I won't even listen to his stupid cover, I'm sure it's sucks balls. 

he is from the village voice (not even a singer? a writer? I don't know) and promoted the article saying he sang it for his cat. says it all. FUCK HIM.

Lolo    0
21 minutes ago, Nikki said:

he is from the village voice (not even a singer? a writer? I don't know) and promoted the article saying he sang it for his cat. says it all. FUCK HIM.

IMG_5338.JPG

11 hours ago, Paul said:

I only played about 10, but based on that sample, these are all terrible.

They really are. A lot of them didn't even try like for instance the ones that were given "Physical Attraction" just completely avoided singing the lyrics but also completely ignored the original production and simply labeled it "their version". Seriously disrespectful and childish af!

Hector    0

Close to classic, wtf at that and those other comments? They sound like the breed of fans at Mtripe.

S.E.X.    0

The guy who covered Candy Shop is trying to land a job on her team, I see. :lmao: 

Jazzy Jan    0
14 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Drives me mad.    One day people will fully realise just how influential and great Madonna always has been - her music, her longevity, natural charisma, performing skills and talent.  Until then, we have to always put with back handed compliments and people continually down-playing her.  Plus some of her own fans who seem to be forever apologising for liking her in blogs, wringing their hands and pointing out all her faults to appear neutral rather than dare admit they like her.  

Alain Delon    0

I just listened to them ALL!!! I don't know why I did that to myself... Still, I really liked the kids' version of Jump.

Orion    0

"She's the most inconsistent of 80's icons".

Ok, I'm at home right now.

I want to open the window and scream.

Jazzy Jan    0
14 minutes ago, Orion said:

I know. Pure blasphemy !  

52 minutes ago, Orion said:

Exactly! I would say Prince is the most inconsistent of 80's icons. Now obviously he recorded and released more songs than anyone else so there's so much to sort through. People didn't pay that much attention to his later albums, but they have some brilliant tracks but so many dud tracks you have to sort through to get to the great stuff. With Madonna there's more quality control and less volume of material. For me almost all

her released tracks are listenable and enjoyable on some level. 

So how the fuck should this woman be "consistent" then? HOW, exactly? 

Recording LIKE A VIRGIN for every album? 

Why are people so hateful? 

Orion    0
25 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

Exactly! I would say Prince is the most inconsistent of 80's icons. Now obviously he recorded and released more songs than anyone else so there's so much to sort through. People didn't pay that much attention to his later albums, but they have some brilliant tracks but so many dud tracks you have to sort through to get to the great stuff. With Madonna there's more quality control and less volume of material. For me almost all

I don't think he's inconsistent TBH, I see him as a special case. He was just an incredibly creative and passionate soul who breathed music for his entire life. He was the music and the music was him, most of the time that meant good music, sometimes bad music :laugh: However, I think his later albums were all great, everything since Musicology has been great IMO, his bad era was from 1998 to 2003, very hard to get into.

As for Madonna, I agree. She experimented many genres and comes up with something new every time. Even her so called "subpar" records like MDNA or HC have fantastic music for the most part with just a couple of bad tracks. I don't know how someone could see her as artistically inconsistent.

Orion    0
14 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

So how the fuck should this woman be "consistent" then? HOW, exactly? 

Recording LIKE A VIRGIN for every album? 

Why are people so hateful? 

Exactly.

9 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

MTE! Even huge Prince fans have admitted to this heck, they even go further on to say he's had some really bad albums! He was a very creative and experimental musician/artist so obviously there was going to be a lot of bad with the good.