Jamesy

LAP video explained - by Madonna herself - in detail!

31 posts in this topic

Another interview I never read until tonight...

From the NY Times March 19th 1989 - Madonna explains the LIKE A PRAYER video!

I can tell you - none of this got picked up by any of the UK press at the time. Never read a word of this before...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

'' 'Like a Prayer,' said Madonna, ''is the song of a passionate young girl so in love with God that it is almost as though He were the male figure in her life. From around 8 to 12 years old, I had the same feelings. I really wanted to be a nun.''

What follows is a description in Madonna's own words of what happens in the video:

''A girl on the street witnesses an assault on a young woman. Afraid to get involved because she might get hurt, she is frozen in fear. A black man walking down the street also sees the incident and decides to help the woman. But just then, the police arrive and arrest him. As they take him away, she looks up and sees one of the gang members who assaulted the girl. He gives her a look that says she'll be dead if she tells. ''The girl runs, not knowing where to go until she sees a church. She goes in and sees a saint in a cage who looks very much like the black man on the street, and says a prayer to help her make the right decision. He seems to be crying, but she is not sure. ''She lies down on a pew and falls into a dream in which she begins to tumble in space with no one to break her fall. Suddenly she is caught by a woman who represents earth and emotional strength and who tosses her back up and tells her to do the right thing. Still dreaming, she returns to the saint, and her religious and erotic feelings begin to stir. The saint becomes a man. She picks up a knife and cuts her hands. That's the guilt in Catholicism that if you do something that feels good you will be punished. ''As the choir sings, she reaches an orgasmic crescendo of sexual fulfillment intertwined with her love of God. She knows that nothing's going to happen to her if she does what she believes is right. She wakes up, goes to the jail, tells the police the man is innocent, and he is freed. Then everybody takes a bow as if to say we all play a part in this little scenario.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/19/arts/madonna-re-creates-herself-again.html

Never read this, either. Thank you!

Never read that either, great little read :inlove:

Loved reading her own words on what the video meant and portrayed in detail.  Thanks @Jamesy for again providing us with rare information about Madonna which you always do.  

Never heard her describe one of her video clips before in that much detail.  It was one of the most talked about and discussed video clips ever but amazing that her own description of what it meant was not picked up for mass consumption.  What a video clip and song as well.  Both have stood the test of time as classics. 

Madonna just thinks on another level... Great to receive insight into one of her many Impressive Instants.

1 minute ago, jazzyjan said:

Never heard her describe one of her video clips before in that much detail.  It was one of the most talked about and discussed video clips ever but amazing that her own description of what it meant was not picked up for mass consumption.  What a video clip and song as well.  Both have stood the test of time as classics. 

Exactly how I feel @jazzyjan

I actually got teary eyed and nostalgic reading these NY Times articles tonight that I found! 

Like a Prayer - that whole onslaught in March 1989 - it was just something else.

Here's a great piece from the Chicago Tribune published on the same day as that NY Times interview:

Madonna, Seriously

Her New Album Asserts The Power Of `Prayer`

March 19, 1989|By Iain Blair.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-03-19/entertainment/8903280152_1_breathless-mahoney-material-girl-prayer

Now I understand the knife part! Thanks!

There's so many layers to this video, it's crazy… just lately I was thinking about the burning crosses… it seemed aimed at religion at the time, but now that I think about it, there's obviously a KKK reference there.

Suddenly she is caught by a woman who represents earth and emotional strength and who tosses her back up and tells her to do the right thing.

oh wow thank you for posting @Jamesy !

Wow, awesome read! Thanks.

Great read!  

And yes,  weird that this was not more popular. But there was such a enormous havoc then that it was buried the next minute.

9 hours ago, Jamesy said:

Exactly how I feel @jazzyjan

I actually got teary eyed and nostalgic reading these NY Times articles tonight that I found! 

Like a Prayer - that whole onslaught in March 1989 - it was just something else.

Here's a great piece from the Chicago Tribune published on the same day as that NY Times interview:

Madonna, Seriously

Her New Album Asserts The Power Of `Prayer`

March 19, 1989|By Iain Blair.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-03-19/entertainment/8903280152_1_breathless-mahoney-material-girl-prayer

What a fantastic review of Like a Prayer.  It is one of the greatest albums ever released and holds up incredibly.  Was an era to never forget. 

Thanks for the info, it was a great read.

And @billyto, I have also thought the burning crosses were in reference to the KKK.

It's hard to accurately describe what it was like to live though the LAP era.  If YouTube, iTunes, streaming etc. had been a thing back then, the single would have been #1 in the US for months.  It was MASSIVE, as was the album.  I absolutely love everything she's done since then, but for me, LAP (both the single and the album) are her finest moments.  I think Madonna herself would find it hard not to name LAP as one of her favourite recordings.  

6 hours ago, Carta said:

It's hard to accurately describe what it was like to live though the LAP era.  If YouTube, iTunes, streaming etc. had been a thing back then, the single would have been #1 in the US for months.  It was MASSIVE, as was the album.  I absolutely love everything she's done since then, but for me, LAP (both the single and the album) are her finest moments.  I think Madonna herself would find it hard not to name LAP as one of her favourite recordings.  

I always though it should've been even a bigger hit, especially in the US. It peaked no.1 but it wasn't the biggest seller of the year neither was the album.

It was a much bigger hit in Europe, I think. 12 weeks at no.1?

6 hours ago, Carta said:

Like a Prayer still holds the record for most weeks at number 1 in America with a strong 6 week run at the top!

Wow. Thanks for posting. Never read that before. I wish she described each of her videos like that. Maybe someday we'll get commentary on a video compilation.

12 hours ago, Confessit said:

Like a Prayer still holds the record for most weeks at number 1 in America with a strong 6 week run at the top!

I don't think this is true, at least not in the U.S. Even though it was a #1, I remember it kinda fading faster than Vogue, Like a Virgin, and the juggernaut that was Take a Bow.  It seemed that maybe all the brouhaha made the public a bit tired of it after a few weeks.

9 hours ago, tek75 said:

I don't think this is true, at least not in the U.S. Even though it was a #1, I remember it kinda fading faster than Vogue, Like a Virgin, and the juggernaut that was Take a Bow.  It seemed that maybe all the brouhaha made the public a bit tired of it after a few weeks.

It is true poppet.

It may of faded faster than LAV, but to date it's the Madonna album that spent the most weeks at the top of Billboard top 200.

6 weeks at the top was/is a huge feat for any album.

On ‎19‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, loowee said:

Now I understand the knife part! Thanks!

I thought she was trying to cut some cakes for tea with the black jesus. :dazed: 

10 hours ago, tek75 said:

It's #1 for 6 consecutive weeks on US Billboard 200 album chart.

Whereas the single LAP spent 3 weeks @ #1 on US Billboard Hot 100 single chart.

I love how over time everyone thinks the saint is a black Jesus!

Too perfect !

I think that if you were catholic or christian you could easily see that he was not a black Jesus, with all the symbols, clothing and iconography it was clearly a black saint.

The burning crosses are a clear reference to the KKK and round the story where she as a white person does good for a black person. 

The knife part I always thought that had something to do with the injuries in Jesus hands, but good to know the actual truth behind it.  

Nice read, thanks for sharing! 

Back then, behind the Iron Curtain, I remember my father had the record from a friend and told me about how good it was, since I told my parents I was a fan when True Blue was out. And then we copied it to cassette and played it like there's no tomorrow in our car.  Great memories. My parents never listened to any of her albums post LAP. It's the only album we enjoyed listening together.