Carta

Madonna and Sia

39 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I am going to sound a bit negative here but the only Sia songs that really work are the ones sung screaming.  You have to scream A LOT to sing them properly or have a very powerful voice and since like ten years Madonna is unable to sing with a powerful voice. The voice she used to use. 

Kill me,  do whatever you like but it's true.  Since the Hung Up bridge I don't recall any song that has the typical euphoric roar of Madonna.  And it's VERY missed in songs like Hold Tight or Living For Love. She started using that voice less and less since Rescue Me.  I wonder why because in the Girlie Show she had no problem with it,  so it's not about her throat problems during BAT  

I don't know if finally her throat got enough after so many tours or she decided that. But there's certainly a lack of volume too. It was evident in her performance of Open Your Heart in the Grammys with that group and the Prince homage.  

That said,  no Sia good song could have worked properly.  

It's not cool to say that negative opinion but that's my opinion.  Maybe I'm wrong?

didn't she use this voice on the "Lord, lord lift me, forgive me" line?

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

I am going to sound a bit negative here but the only Sia songs that really work are the ones sung screaming.  You have to scream A LOT to sing them properly or have a very powerful voice and since like ten years Madonna is unable to sing with a powerful voice. The voice she used to use. 

Kill me,  do whatever you like but it's true.  Since the Hung Up bridge I don't recall any song that has the typical euphoric roar of Madonna.  And it's VERY missed in songs like Hold Tight or Living For Love. She started using that voice less and less since Rescue Me.  I wonder why because in the Girlie Show she had no problem with it,  so it's not about her throat problems during BAT  

I don't know if finally her throat got enough after so many tours or she decided that. But there's certainly a lack of volume too. It was evident in her performance of Open Your Heart in the Grammys with that group and the Prince homage.  

That said,  no Sia good song could have worked properly.  

It's not cool to say that negative opinion but that's my opinion.  Maybe I'm wrong?

tumblr_o2e5gqHTsa1qzcp72o1_250.gif

2 hours ago, dollhouse said:

No.  That's the thing. 

Maybe she doesn't want to.  Maybe she wants to sing and dance in concert and after all the struggling in other tours she doesn't want to.  

It's weird though that from 2009 to today the trend in music is to shout and be as strong as you can and Madonna,  the queen of powerful deliverance like Open Your Heart,  White Heat,  Where's the Party,  Express Yourself,  Rescue Me...., didn’t want to serve some vocals.  

But I digress. Let's focus on Sia. 

1 hour ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

tumblr_o2e5gqHTsa1qzcp72o1_250.gif

:lol:

Titanium is one of those songs that became awful to hear again! Just because it was played a million times & all youngish gays went apeshit over it. LOL:banghead: 

Sia was probably at her peak at that time, so I was very surprised that all of her demos were rejected. Perhaps they were not her best, writers who have their own careers want to keep their best songs for themselves. Or perhaps they didn't resonate with Madonna, a very good song is not necessarily a good match for every singer. But now I feel that Sia has been repeating herself for quite some time. She still has some good songs but they are becoming very formulaic.

29 minutes ago, karbatal said:

No.  That's the thing. 

Maybe she doesn't want to.  Maybe she wants to sing and dance in concert and after all the struggling in other tours she doesn't want to.  

It's weird though that from 2009 to today the trend in music is to shout and be as strong as you can and Madonna,  the queen of powerful deliverance like Open Your Heart,  White Heat,  Where's the Party,  Express Yourself,  Rescue Me...., didn’t want to serve some vocals.  

But I digress. Let's focus on Sia. 

Some of those vocals you mention are examples of bad technique. The kind of technique with which untrained singers like Mariah Carey busted their voice. Madonna clearly prefers proper technique and that's why she can still sing after 30 years. There is some decline with age but many of her RHT performances, La Vie En Rose for example, prove that she can still sing powerfully.

I watched an interview with Steven Tyler, he said Aerosmith is a touring act so he doesn't use his full vocals on the new albums because he has to do it most nights.

55 minutes ago, Barney said:

I watched an interview with Steven Tyler, he said Aerosmith is a touring act so he doesn't use his full vocals on the new albums because he has to do it most nights.

Why hold it back for the album recording though?

I understand that some singers don't put 100% into vocals during rehearsals, but not using the full strength for a studio cut seems like a weird compromise to me.

I don't know, maybe in the past they have had to cancel dates duet to throat issues. I wouldn't have a clue, I see where youre coming from though.

That many be the case.  BAT really was a nightmare for Madonna's voice.  Girlie Show,  though,  has her best vocals.  But it's true that since 1990 she almost stopped altogether to give that voice in recordings,  much earlier than the Evita training.  BS has very soft voices,  although it's true that it's a melodic album and doesn't have any song that needs that voice.  

It's with Rebel Heart,  the album,  where you know that voice would suit perfectly and she herself decided not to use it. 

I get you.  I too miss that roaring voice, have been waiting for it to return - the ferocity, the immensity when she scream/sings "second best is never enough you'll do much better baby on your own"  Who knows, maybe she still has it in her and will bring it out for the new album.

It's a very raw, 'unpolished' vocal style but it's so much more compelling to listen to - it's the reason why songs like Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart are so epic...it's her voice!  Her raw anguished guttural delivery "I'm keeping my baby!"

13 hours ago, dollhouse said:

And JLo did the ' LOVE lift me up !' 

I think if M & Sia wrote something together it could work, but it would have to be with the right producer. I wouldn't want to hear multiple M & Sia tracks though, personally. But one track could be interesting.