mnino

The Girlie Show: Iconic

91 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Probably the best band she had of all her tours. Amazing. 

Truly underrated and one of her best tours ever. I would love to hear the studio demos although not sure they exist. 

I do think the show could have started with Bye Bye Baby as it makes complete sense or perhaps been after Erotica. 

D&D, JML, BBB, Vogue, Fever are all such standout performances. Easily some of her best ever.

I didn't see this one though. It was at Wembley Stadium which is such a crap venue and I was going back to Uni that weekend as she only did a couple of shows. 

We must be exactly the same age! Apart from I went both nights but I totally agree BBB shoulv'e been after erotica.I guess that might take away from stepping into the audience. Walkways were not really seen before then. But why not step into the audience and do BBB then fever after? She knows best, it was 10/10 anyway, its a classic.

29 minutes ago, Barney said:

We must be exactly the same age! Apart from I went both nights but I totally agree BBB shoulv'e been after erotica.I guess that might take away from stepping into the audience. Walkways were not really seen before then. But why not step into the audience and do BBB then fever after? She knows best, it was 10/10 anyway, its a classic.

Getting to the wrong side of mid forties :wacko: and I wish I'd have seen this concert but would have to have gone on my own again! Oh well. I've still got the live broadcast on cassette by radio 1!

My 2nd favorite tour!

So much energy and fun! Especially the La isla bonita and Holiday banters. From can can to push ups ... it was full of shenanigans and good laughs.

Not my favorite tour. I can appreciate that it is different and I do watch it sometimes but it doesnt do the same for me as bat, rht, mdna and confessions. I love Erotica but the songs she performed were unexpected and she left so many great songs out. So setlist wise it is weak. Some performances are excellent: Fever, Rain, Deeper and Deeper, La Isla Bonita and Justify My Love is just art. Some are so so.. but I cant stand that version of Holiday and that version of Like A Virgin does nothing for me and I hate I'm Going Bananas. I also found the stage underwelming compare to the brilliant bat stage and yes the band is very good but it was also very good in bat. I also dont like how few songs are presented. Also please dont throw things at me but I hate that circus theme of the show. GS is very special show but it is not really for me but I can appreciate she was doing something different.

15 hours ago, JWAD said:

It's not really my favourite shows but I can see the amount of theatrical influence that was incorporated into the show. It had a Broadway/classic Hollywood musical feel to it. 

Some amazing parts but again, like some others have said, the set list was weak with much better songs on Erotica. I'm Going Bananas was one of her worst performances and just seemed so bizarre and out of place (I know it's meant that be a bit of fun but god it's pish!)

Great performances:

Fever, Rain, Express Yourself, Deeper and Deeper, Bye Bye Baby, La Isla Bonita, Holiday (but far too long), Justify My Love, Everybody

OK performances:

Erotica (a bit boring), Vogue (hated the lifeless choreography until the catwalk and ending), Whys It So Hard (wouldn't have picked it to be on the set list), In This Life (beautiful but it's not a concert song), Like A Wirgin (that accent, fun but spoils the song, Falling in Love Again is sublime)

The crap:

Im Going Bananas (one of her worst songs), The Beast Within (liked the concept but it did nothing for me, but it did introduce us to what would become the proper standalone interlude)

Should have been on the Tour:

Fever (with excerpts of Goodbye to Innocence), Bad Girl (her SNL performance was electric), Waiting, Words, Secret Garden (this would have been amazing live), Into the Groove (disco), Live to Tell (instead of In This Life), Like A Prayer (finale)

My set list:

Secret Garden/Erotica (Kenlou mix) mashup

Fever (with Goodbye to Innocence)

Vogue (better choreography)

Rain

Express Yourself

Deeper and Deeper

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Words (dancer interlude, rearranged with highlighting of sound effects, gunfire)

Bye Bye Baby (that intro should have opened this part of the show)

Falling In Love Again (with Like A Virgin excerpts) - short version leading into next song

Bad Girl

Waiting

La Isla Bonita

Holiday

Justify My Love

Like A Prayer

Everybody

Erotica is a perfect opening number as it is. Perhaps add some musical elements of SG at the beginning, but that's it. No mash-up or anything.

Vogue was amazing!! Take that back!! She could've gone the MJ and Janet route and do the same old choreography from the video with the cone-bra all over again, but she decided to take risks and step it up a notch, culminating in the song's first live re-inventions. One of this tour's best performances and one of Vogue's best live renditions.

LAV, while not my favorite live rendition of this song (it's actually, along with the waltz version of MDNA, one of the worst LAV performances she's done), was a very interesting re-imagining, and one of M's best homages to the great Marlene Dietrich. 

No way in hell!! LAP doesn't and wouldn't have fit in AT ALL with the tour's sex circus/rock show/fashion show theme. Hell it doesn't even go well with Erotica era's theme!!

According to these notes, LTT was apparently considered. But it was to follow Bye Bye Baby, which eventually became I'm Going Bananas. So unless she was going for a salsa LTT (a horrifying unthinkable sin), it wouldn't have worked either, and I'm glad it was ditched and not included.

girlie-show-rehearsals-5.jpg

ITG could have worked in the disco segment, but instead of EY. Both songs (plus DAD) would've been long and too much of the same for one segment. Plus Why's it So Hard is life and such a beautiful performance.

Words could have worked as an interlude, but then again TBW is such a great performance live. Her very first interlude (that didn't relied on backdrop screens!!)

Waiting doesn't fit the Burlesque-Latino segment. 

Bad Girl at the end of the disco segment instead of In This life. Just like Waiting, it just doesn't work on the Burlesque-Latino act. TUTBMP could've also worked, but I think it would've been too long.

I've always said that the only thing I would change from TGS was the exclusion of Bad Girl, but after reading your suggestions, I wouldn't change a single thing!!

To me Live To Tell wouldnt have worked. The message of the song would have fitted in well with what was happening with Madonna during that period but in terms of GS no. I always thought Into The Groove would have been better to finish with than Everybody but i guess Madonna was sick of performing it because it had been included on every tour up until then

Wait...Bye Bye Baby between Erotica and Fever?  Nah.  Perfect where it was.

After BA, i was very disappointed in the Girlie Show, but that was because of my age at the time.  As i have matured i have come to appreciate the GS for everything that it is and the work and artistry that is in it.  GS Express Yourself is the song i hope for when i am in the last 10 minutes of my run and needing a boost to get me to the end.  Works every time.  

Its her best tour and probably will remain so.

WTG is a close call.

On 3/16/2017 at 9:20 PM, KalamazooJay said:

Ironically I watched this in its entirety just the other night for the first time in probably 15 years and I'll say, it's aged better than I expected. 

This tour, like MDNA, suffered from a lackluster setlist and unrecognizable reinventions that bogged down the show. Everything from Why's It So Hard to I'm Going Bananas (minus Bye Bye Baby) just doesn't work in my opinion. I think there were far stronger tracks from Erotica that deserved to be performed which would've heighten the mid section. 

However, the band is easily the best she's ever toured with, the costumes are fabulous, her vocals are pristine, and it gave us an EPIC performance of JML. Which is one of my favorite live performances she's ever done. 

15 years?!? How could you wait so long?!

And yes, the band ... THE BAND :dramatic:

On 3/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, IsaacHarris said:

If time travel becomes a reality, I'm making the trek to see M, live onstage with her blond pixie-cut. The Girlie Show is conceptually SEAMLESS, musically FLAWLESS, & each performance is completely FABULOUS from beginning to end.

YES PREACH :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 

(And come get me when if you ever get a time machine.)

On 3/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, IsaacHarris said:

OMAR, GIMME SOME KICK BABY!

LITERALLY DEAD

God, I've seen this show so many times I used to say "gimme some kick baby" as if it was a common turn of phrase.

orgy was everythang

"Why's It So Hard" live is like 500% better than the album version. Not an opinion, it's a fact. 

Agree that tour was wonderfully put together. Just not one of my favorites to watch again. I always go back to watching her other tours before this one . 

The tour made me LOVE In This Life. The entire disco section is just perfection. How it all starts as a party, sex follows, then the white light of death (AIDS) steals each dancer one by one until only Madonna remains.

15 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Why's It So Hard" live is like 500% better than the album version. Not an opinion, it's a fact. 

yassss.

it took me years to get into this tour.. now I'm hooked!

It's easily the best directed and most consistent well thought out piece of sophisticated perfection she ever produced.

It's also her PEAK as a LIVE performer, it's a shame it went right over the heads of the MTV generation at the time....

But industry wise, it's easily her most referenced piece of work...there were echos of the Girlie Show every where in tv-show

prodcutions and in the choreography and production of other artists' performances (waves at the Velvet Rope)

That is...until videoscreens took over.

Yes, BAT is undoubtetly the most iconic...but it's not as well rounded

On 17/03/2017 at 9:08 AM, JWAD said:

It's not really my favourite shows but I can see the amount of theatrical influence that was incorporated into the show. It had a Broadway/classic Hollywood musical feel to it. 

Some amazing parts but again, like some others have said, the set list was weak with much better songs on Erotica. I'm Going Bananas was one of her worst performances and just seemed so bizarre and out of place (I know it's meant that be a bit of fun but god it's pish!)

Great performances:

Fever, Rain, Express Yourself, Deeper and Deeper, Bye Bye Baby, La Isla Bonita, Holiday (but far too long), Justify My Love, Everybody

OK performances:

Erotica (a bit boring), Vogue (hated the lifeless choreography until the catwalk and ending), Whys It So Hard (wouldn't have picked it to be on the set list), In This Life (beautiful but it's not a concert song), Like A Wirgin (that accent, fun but spoils the song, Falling in Love Again is sublime)

The crap:

Im Going Bananas (one of her worst songs), The Beast Within (liked the concept but it did nothing for me, but it did introduce us to what would become the proper standalone interlude)

Should have been on the Tour:

Fever (with excerpts of Goodbye to Innocence), Bad Girl (her SNL performance was electric), Waiting, Words, Secret Garden (this would have been amazing live), Into the Groove (disco), Live to Tell (instead of In This Life), Like A Prayer (finale)

My set list:

Secret Garden/Erotica (Kenlou mix) mashup

Fever (with Goodbye to Innocence)

Vogue (better choreography)

Rain

Express Yourself

Deeper and Deeper

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Words (dancer interlude, rearranged with highlighting of sound effects, gunfire)

Bye Bye Baby (that intro should have opened this part of the show)

Falling In Love Again (with Like A Virgin excerpts) - short version leading into next song

Bad Girl

Waiting

La Isla Bonita

Holiday

Justify My Love

Like A Prayer

Everybody

NO.

Not a big fan of the tour. My fave parts are Why's It So hard and In This Life.

The most iconic performance from this tour is either Fever or Vogue.

we should all thank Christopher Ciccone.

27 minutes ago, SPM said:

The most iconic performance from this tour is either Fever or Vogue.

No. Hello Erotica, EY, LIB, Holiday, Justify My Love.

I agree to a certain extent with those who complain about the selection of songs from the Erotica album... but God they were never ever performed again! The Girlie Show is still the only place where you can listen to the complete tracks... apart from Deeper and Deeper, Madonna has never sung any of those songs in their entirety again.

Will you judge me harshly if I say I didnt like that military performance of Holiday at all? 😊

10 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Will you judge me harshly if I say I didnt like that military performance of Holiday at all? 😊

yes very much

Just now, Littlebastard said:

yes very much

I thought as much