MadonnaNation.com Forums
mnino

The Girlie Show: Iconic

Such a fabulous tour which unfortunately I coudn't attend at the time as I was 10 and I wasn't aware of her. When I discovered it at 17 fell in love with it immediately and understood what the big deal about Madonna was. A performer superior in every respect, her showomanship, her grace, her sensuality, those choreos and themes, how sleek and technically grand and precise it looks. And this tour featured some of her best vocals ever.

Rain, La Isla Bonita, Everybody, Deeper and Deeper, In This Life etc  what a star. And the first 4 songs is pure climatic MAGIC

girlie-show-rehearsals-1.jpg

CAjQON1VEAAXyWh.jpg

alex-magno_007.jpg

:bow:  :bow:  :drama: 

AMAZING! Indeed, THE GREATEST SHOW on earth! Easily TOP 3 fav M tours ❤

Btw, are these pictures from the tour book? They're fxcking great ❤

Probably the best band she had of all her tours. Amazing. 

Truly underrated and one of her best tours ever. I would love to hear the studio demos although not sure they exist. 

I do think the show could have started with Bye Bye Baby as it makes complete sense or perhaps been after Erotica. 

D&D, JML, BBB, Vogue, Fever are all such standout performances. Easily some of her best ever.

I didn't see this one though. It was at Wembley Stadium which is such a crap venue and I was going back to Uni that weekend as she only did a couple of shows. 

The Girlie Show is art.

It's my favorite Madonna tour. It's Madonna at her best, with no need for high tecnology and all that stuff that helps her nowadays, but kinda shades what a one man show she is.

It's the culmination of all her previous tours work, just like a perfect climax. And she's at her most beautiful on it, truly gorgeous with the short hair and that amazing fantastic incredible body.

:inlove:

Her best tour easily. Love every part of it.

Great show but I don't think it's iconic. 

Blond Ambition is iconic. :smiles:

My favorite tour ever. It holds a special place in my heart.

When it was first released on vhs, I literally wore the tape out.

Its just so amazing start to finish.

madonna-girlie-2.gif

madonna-girlie.gif

madonna-gif-4.gif

giphy-3.gif

Ironically I watched this in its entirety just the other night for the first time in probably 15 years and I'll say, it's aged better than I expected. 

This tour, like MDNA, suffered from a lackluster setlist and unrecognizable reinventions that bogged down the show. Everything from Why's It So Hard to I'm Going Bananas (minus Bye Bye Baby) just doesn't work in my opinion. I think there were far stronger tracks from Erotica that deserved to be performed which would've heighten the mid section. 

However, the band is easily the best she's ever toured with, the costumes are fabulous, her vocals are pristine, and it gave us an EPIC performance of JML. Which is one of my favorite live performances she's ever done. 

If time travel becomes a reality, I'm making the trek to see M, live onstage with her blond pixie-cut. The Girlie Show is conceptually SEAMLESS, musically FLAWLESS, & each performance is completely FABULOUS from beginning to end.

7 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

However, the band is easily the best she's ever toured with...

OMAR, GIMME SOME KICK BABY!

Amazing show. In her top 5 tours for sure.

My fave tour of hers EVER. My tattoo of it on my back got me tixs from Guy Oseary for the golden triangle for thw MDNA tour. 

Brilliant show.  The choreography of Fever, Vogue, La isla bonita, Holiday, Justify my love and ofcourse the bloody awesomeness of Bye Bye Baby is to die for. I watch it all the time ⭐️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I saw this tour on the last seat of the last row of what wasn't yet Foro Sol. I was so mad at my then boyfriend for not getting better tickets... Incredible being part of the Madonna madness that accompanied that tour, there wasn't any backlash in Mexico about that period... The tour was amazing, as I'm getting older I seem to be more appreciative of different things than when I was younger. 

One of my favorite M tours. It's the tour with her best backing band and my favorite live version of Vogue, to date. If I could go back in time and see it in person...

Oh god, what is there to say about this tour that hasn't already been said...

In my opinion, just may be hands down the BEST tour she's ever done - conceptually, musically, design-wise, performance-wise, etc. Every single element falls PERFECTLY into place. Not to mention her flawless body and the short cut.

I don't think a single thing needs to be changed. Yes, great songs on Erotica that could have been performed, but they would have probably gotten their just due on a proper Bedtime Stories Tour. But as for The Girlie Show, it works perfectly as is.  From that opening, to the singular performance of Erotica, that incredible orchestration of Vogue, to Rain with Niki and Donna and that stunning, lush interlude...to the 'story' of the Studio 54 act, from woman's lib, to the gay/sexual revolution/underground, to bigotry and condemnation, and finally to AIDS and loss, topped by the utter haunting perfection of that "The Beast Within" interlude of love/sexuality/faith - PURE ART. And then she tops it off with that Dietrich homage of LAV (Jesus fucking Christ - no other could dare try), to the gender-bending of BBB, to the humor of Going Bananas, to the old Hollywood/Gene Kelly magic of La Isla Bonita...to the James Brown infused Holiday (and the hysterical banter she developed throughout the tour)...to the utter theatrical perfection of JML (I mean, who is so damn good they can just say, screw singing, you're still gonna eat this shit up)...to the funk of Everybody....all topped off with the BEST BAND she has ever had (I mean, THIS is how you translate Madonna's music live). And all the while singing her fucking face off with perhaps her best live vocals ever.

This tour, along with Drowned World, are the 'pièce de résistance' of theatrical pop tours elevated to a legit artform. No other comes close.

Anyways, I could go on and on.  PERFECT in every way.  (And certainly "iconic", as I remember it getting repeat airplay more than I ever saw TOD/BAT at the time). 

LONG LIVE The Girlie Show.

I still wonder how it will have been had she done it with the black hair, like in the costume sketches. I also always wondered why she didn't keep the bellbottoms - something I was looking forward to seeing. True art makes me question things...and this is true art.

As much as I loved it, I think Rescue Me will have fit after Rain....was so dying to see it interpreted live (and still am!)

it is brilliant. 

Took me some time to love this tour. 

And God yes, that band is FLAWLESS :drama:

I want her to perform again with bands like this, 100% live.

It's not really my favourite shows but I can see the amount of theatrical influence that was incorporated into the show. It had a Broadway/classic Hollywood musical feel to it. 

Some amazing parts but again, like some others have said, the set list was weak with much better songs on Erotica. I'm Going Bananas was one of her worst performances and just seemed so bizarre and out of place (I know it's meant that be a bit of fun but god it's pish!)

Great performances:

Fever, Rain, Express Yourself, Deeper and Deeper, Bye Bye Baby, La Isla Bonita, Holiday (but far too long), Justify My Love, Everybody

OK performances:

Erotica (a bit boring), Vogue (hated the lifeless choreography until the catwalk and ending), Whys It So Hard (wouldn't have picked it to be on the set list), In This Life (beautiful but it's not a concert song), Like A Wirgin (that accent, fun but spoils the song, Falling in Love Again is sublime)

The crap:

Im Going Bananas (one of her worst songs), The Beast Within (liked the concept but it did nothing for me, but it did introduce us to what would become the proper standalone interlude)

Should have been on the Tour:

Fever (with excerpts of Goodbye to Innocence), Bad Girl (her SNL performance was electric), Waiting, Words, Secret Garden (this would have been amazing live), Into the Groove (disco), Live to Tell (instead of In This Life), Like A Prayer (finale)

My set list:

Secret Garden/Erotica (Kenlou mix) mashup

Fever (with Goodbye to Innocence)

Vogue (better choreography)

Rain

Express Yourself

Deeper and Deeper

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Words (dancer interlude, rearranged with highlighting of sound effects, gunfire)

Bye Bye Baby (that intro should have opened this part of the show)

Falling In Love Again (with Like A Virgin excerpts) - short version leading into next song

Bad Girl

Waiting

La Isla Bonita

Holiday

Justify My Love

Like A Prayer

Everybody

It's a bit too much theatre and cabaret for my taste, but it's still among my top 5 favorite tours. And you can tell by every little snippet and video how much fun Madonna had with this show. 

Call me shallow but I believe I'd like it even more with a more feminine hairdo, that Annie Lennox butch short hair cut was awful. She would have looked amazing if she'd gone full on Dietrich with some waterwaves or the Dietrich look from the Vogue video.

There's so many highlights! Rain, Bye Bye Baby, Express Yourself, Everybody... One of her best tours.

9 hours ago, JWAD said:

It's not really my favourite shows but I can see the amount of theatrical influence that was incorporated into the show. It had a Broadway/classic Hollywood musical feel to it. 

Some amazing parts but again, like some others have said, the set list was weak with much better songs on Erotica. I'm Going Bananas was one of her worst performances and just seemed so bizarre and out of place (I know it's meant that be a bit of fun but god it's pish!)

Great performances:

Fever, Rain, Express Yourself, Deeper and Deeper, Bye Bye Baby, La Isla Bonita, Holiday (but far too long), Justify My Love, Everybody

OK performances:

Erotica (a bit boring), Vogue (hated the lifeless choreography until the catwalk and ending), Whys It So Hard (wouldn't have picked it to be on the set list), In This Life (beautiful but it's not a concert song), Like A Wirgin (that accent, fun but spoils the song, Falling in Love Again is sublime)

The crap:

Im Going Bananas (one of her worst songs), The Beast Within (liked the concept but it did nothing for me, but it did introduce us to what would become the proper standalone interlude)

Should have been on the Tour:

Fever (with excerpts of Goodbye to Innocence), Bad Girl (her SNL performance was electric), Waiting, Words, Secret Garden (this would have been amazing live), Into the Groove (disco), Live to Tell (instead of In This Life), Like A Prayer (finale)

Wait-say-what-GIF.gif

15 hours ago, mnino said:

Wait-say-what-GIF.gif

IMG_8762.GIF

😜

4th Favourite tour of mine behind Blond Ambition, Confessions & MDNA!