MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
material_boy

POLL: What should have been the sixth single from "Erotica?"

What should have been "Erotica"'s sixth single?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What should have been "Erotica"'s sixth single?

• Bye Bye Baby
    • Where Life Begins
    • Waiting
    • Thief of Hearts
    • Words
    • Why's It So Hard
    • In This Life
    • Did You Do It?
    • Secret Garden

It's 1993. Madonna is the biggest star in the world, but "Erotica"'s release was met with massive backlash. After five singles -- "Erotica," "Deeper and Deeper," "Bad Girl," "Fever," and "Rain" -- the album has sold five million copies. The queen has embarked on the Girlie Show tour to remind the world that she's the best there is at what she does, and Warner Bros. Records has asked you to pick the album's next single release in hopes of capitalizing on the tour's success returning the album to the charts. This will be a major release, complete with music video. What's your choice?

NOTES:

• Yes, I know "Bye Bye Baby" was released as a single in some territories, but I am only counting the five singles that saw wide release. "BBB" was limited to just Australia and New Zealand to help promote Madonna's first tour Down Under. (And, for some reason, Italy too.) I have not counted limited releases as singles in any of these polls. No one complained about this in the "Like a Virgin" poll, even though "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" and "Over and Over" both saw limited releases in 1985, but for some reason it was hugely problematic in the "Like a Prayer" poll that I didn't count "Keep it Together" as a single even though its release was also limited to just a few countries.
  • I am counting "Fever" as a single since it was released worldwide, except to the U.S. and Canada, where it was the B-side to "Bad Girl."
  • I think this system makes sense -- if a single was only released in a few countries then I'm going to say "that doesn't count as a single," but if was released everywhere except a few countries then I'm going to say "that counts as a single" -- but I just want to be clear on my reasoning since the "LAP" topic turned into a damn mess.

Previous rounds:

This one is hard. The Betts tracks are the best non-singles on the album, but none of them make for particularly good singles. (And the queen didn't perform a single one of them on tour.)

I have to go with "Why's It So Hard." It's a great track and the the live performance was HOT.

Lolo    0

Honestly I think none of the remaining songs are single material, though some of them are my favorites of the album. I chose words just for the sake of the dance vibes. But I can't see any of the songs as a single.

MCHL    0

Bye Bye Baby or Waiting

Waiting with the remix as a B-side. Words is pretty great as well.

This is one of the records she had a lot of contenders but the backlash at the time wasn't going to allow for much success.

Je5u5    0

Waiting. 

I don't know why it didn't happen in real life. One of the obvious highlights of the album.

Cody Banks    0

Secret Garden.

A sixth single wouldn't have done much, anyway, so may as well be bold and experiment a bit!

swimtoshore    0

Waiting or Words - Waiting is one of my all time faves

Pedro    0

Words, but I do love Did you do it. 

Nick    0

Feel Words or Waiting might be the best picks out of the remaining! 

BBB was kinda weird sixth single even though it was limited to a few countries. I've tried purchasing CD single for my personal collection, but it's very expensive because pretty rare at this point 

Kurt420    0

WISH is the closest to sounding like it could be a single. Waiting and Secret Garden are two of my favorites on the album but they wouldn't make good singles I'm afraid. WISH is universal and it was tame enough in it's subject matter (ie: not overtly sexual) plus the little tinge of reggae would've been something pop radio had never really heard from her before. A slightly political video but with a more positive, celebratory tone (in contrast to something like the original AL video) would've been a marvelous way to capitalize on the success of GS. See....the WISH video could've been the official start to the Revolution Of Love but....it wasn't to be....lol. 

Icykiller    0

I say Secret Garden. Rain started a very beneficial damage control era that spanned that song, I'll Remember, Take a Bow, Secret, and all the way through I Want You, You'll see and then ROL. Secret Garden is beautiful and sensual, and yet faithful to the sultry and inviting warmth of BS. A beautiful opener to what was to come. Fuck single success.

Willie    0

I gave it up for BBB - it was performed at the VMAs, a lot of people knew it (even people not into her) - though not necessarily single material, I go with why not be experimental at this point, plus since it was performed with so much vigor - I get the feeling she liked this song a lot. It's a favorite live for me, and it will have been interesting to see how it translated as a video (but without that banana head LOL).

I also, too think the WISH will have been great, because of the universal appeal to it, and pretty much a strong message from her personally. I think if the live version was so amazing, the video will have been a perfect closer to the era. It is interesting how this was on IR.

Ugly Hecty    0

Words - that or Deeper And Deeper had the biggest lead single potential to smash.

LVX    0

Thief of Hearts. The video would've been amazing.

Mattvoyager    0

Waiting is one of the strongest tracks on the album, but was it a radio hit?? I dunno.

Nick    0

Wish Madonna would've released five singles & videos for MDNA & RH like she did with the Erotica & ROL.☹️

Kilt    0

WB should have released WISH instead of Bad Girl. It would have done wonders.

56 minutes ago, Mattvoyager said:

Waiting is one of the strongest tracks on the album, but was it a radio hit?? I dunno.

Yeah, I think "Where Life Begins" and "Waiting" are AMAZING but I think they'd both have flopped at radio. Such a shame. This album is amazing.