Saudi Arabia launches girls' council - without any girls

XXL

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39264349

Saudi Arabia launches girls' council - without any girls

_95140830_saudi.jpg

It was an encouraging initiative for a country not known for giving women a platform in public life. But when Saudi Arabia wanted to show off its inaugural girls' council in al-Qassim province, they overlooked one thing: the women. Pictures released to mark the first Qassim Girls Council meeting showed 13 men on stage, and not a single female. The women were apparently in another room, linked via video.

The male-dominated photos have been circulating widely on social media, after the meeting took place on Saturday. It has been compared to another viral hit - an image of US President Donald Trump, surrounded by men, signing an abortion policy in January.

_93784268_828d316b-0dae-4ced-bbda-7606f5

The Saudi launch was led by Prince Faisal bin Mishal bin Saud, the province's governor, who said he was proud of the conference and it was the first of its kind in the kingdom. "In the Qassim region, we look at women as sisters to men, and we feel a responsibility to open up more and more opportunities that will serve the work of women and girls," he said.

The girls' council is chaired by Princess Abir bint Salman, his wife, who was not in the photograph.

:banghead:  So insulting.   When people say that women have equal rights to men,  just look at examples like this.  I wonder when if ever, women will have the same rights and freedom WORLDWIDE as men do.   Seems to always be somehow excused or forgotten.  I like the words that were said, but the actions speak differently.  There is no excuse for segregation of women and men in today's world or women being considered inferior. 

11 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

:banghead:  So insulting.   When people say that women have equal rights to men,  just look at examples like this.  I wonder when if ever, women will have the same rights and freedom WORLDWIDE as men do.   Seems to always be somehow excused or forgotten.  I like the words that were said, but the actions speak differently.  There is no excuse for segregation of women and men in today's world or women being considered inferior. 

Sadly we are never going to see true equality worldwide in our life time 

at least German news report - that this is FAKE. The council is made up of 39 women, these men on the photo are the guests of honour for the first meeting (not that the situation of women in Saudi-Arabia should urgently be improved). They claim this photo and news attached to it originate from Syria.

Once upon a time women were powerful in that land... but now they're treated like bugs in the public...

On 14.03.2017 at 11:56 PM, Jaz said:

Can women drive cars in Saudi Arabia yet?   Just wondering.

dbb1a7538439894.jpg 

6 hours ago, beta_test said:

at least German news report - that this is FAKE. The council is made up of 39 women, these men on the photo are the guests of honour for the first meeting (not that the situation of women in Saudi-Arabia should urgently be improved). They claim this photo and news attached to it originate from Syria.

uhm ....  no

15 hours ago, beta_test said:

Is this true?  I'm opened minded about it, but my instinct tells me that it isn't fake.

21 hours ago, XXL said:

uhm ....  no

:imsad:

Well done to the ones that managed to escape and get asylum, I hope they managed to build the life they wanted away from such retrograde fucking country.

On 15/03/2017 at 1:47 PM, jazzyjan said:

Women are just commodities at men's service. Either regarded as nuns or sluts. Will never be respected, ever. This culture of submission and disrespect is also perpetrated by women against women, by the way. Generation after generation. Saudi Arabia is probably the worst country on Earth to be living in as a woman.

1 hour ago, pjcowley said:

Women are just commodities at men's service. Either regarded as nuns or sluts. Will never be respected, ever. This culture of submission and disrespect is also perpetrated by women against women, by the way. Generation after generation. Saudi Arabia is probably the worst country on Earth to be living in as a woman.

I have been disgusted how women have been treated in some countries since I was a child.  Seeing reports of women being stoned to death, burnt alive, genitally mutilated and not having basic human rights. Also baffled in some of my friends who see it as being  "culture and none of our business"    To think that these same women would put up with that, if they were not born in a certain country brings home how important it is.  All human beings should be treated with love and respect in every single nation.  I know it will take years but we must keep fighting for it. 

19 minutes ago, jazzyjan said:

Also baffled in some of my friends who see it as being  "culture and none of our business"

Oh gosh... the "culture" excuse, have heard it many times and it is just a load of BULLSHIT. As you said and I agree, all human beings should be treated with love and respect.