MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sky Fits Heaven

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. M's stronger studio albums lyrically?

2. 2. M's weaker studio albums lyrically?

In your opinion, what are Madonna's stronger and weaker studio albums lyrically?

Strongest: Ray of Light

Weakest: Madonna

Strongest: Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, American Life

Weakest: Madonna, Like A Virgin, True Blue

Strongest: LAP, Music, ROL, COADF, AL, RH

weakest: first album, LAV. I accidentally voted for True Blue.. Papa, Live To Tell, etc are lyrically amazing so it should be among the strongest.

Hope M fans won't forget to vote for the "Music" album. (Paradise alone..)

I cant say Madonna is bad lyrically when is a pop masterpiece

This is too hard. Some albums have a very bad song lyrically (eg superstar) but then also have some of her best ever (eg falling free). 

Surprised by people thinking first album is weak. Borderline says hi!

Erotica strongest

MDNA weakest

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

This is too hard. Some albums have a very bad song lyrically (eg superstar) but then also have some of her best ever (eg falling free). 

Surprised by people thinking first album is weak. Borderline says hi!

Borderline was not written by Madonna, or am I wrong? I thought it was a Reggie Lucas. It's like praising the lyrics of Material Girl. 

Strongest: EROTICA duhh

Weakest: MDNA

This is really hard because even when the album is lyrically "weak", it still is a masterpiece in what it's supposed to be.

I voted for I'm Breathless and MDNA as the weaker ones but I still LOVE them.

Breathless gave us Vogue, that alone is a genius masterpiece both lyrically and musically and that's why I was hesitant to pick it. I also love that she took a kinda "snoozy" song like Sooner Or Later and turned it into a jaw-dropping, can't look away for a split second, enticing performance at the Oscars but overall I find it the soundtrack to be slightly dull at times, in lyrics and music. But I still LOVE it. Vogue, I'm Going Bananas, Hanky Panky... It definitely has it's moments.

I also love MDNA but I do think it's an album without a really distinct "feel" in all aspects. Lyrically it get's interesting at times (it always does with Madonna, no album is really "basic") but then it gets lost in the tracklisting and the overall sound. I know the plan was to create the quintessential Madonna dance/pop record but I feel like the vision got lost as the record came to completion. Probably because M and team knew the SuperBowl was coming up and there'd be stadiums to fill on a mammoth tour. I know this topic is about lyrics but let's talk about the MDNA art direction for just a second. The art direction was truly a lost opportunity. We all know it's true. The SuperBowl took up everything so while we got a Mert & Marcus art project for the album visuals, we got the football inspired GMAYL music video and on red carpets she went back and forth between rather conservative dresses (because she was also promoting WE) and the GGW/LMFAO leather leggings look. It was a confusing period. Individually, I love all of it. From the lyrics to the music, to the videos and the looks... But it wasn't coherent. It was a messy little time in it's entirety.

I really, really, DON'T understand how Ray Of Light, Bedtime Stories or Confessions have votes on the "weakest" poll? ROL is seen as her magnum opus by even her biggest critics, Bedtime Stories is a gorgeous "cozy" album that bears some of her most personal lyrics and Confessions is the manual on how to make a dance-pop album without falling into the same clichés everyone uses when making an all-dancefloor record. 

I can't believe MDNA is "winning" the 2nd poll. So I Know It & Think of Me are lyrically superior to Love Spent, Masterpiece, Falling Free..?

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Borderline was not written by Madonna, or am I wrong? I thought it was a Reggie Lucas. It's like praising the lyrics of Material Girl. 

That wasn't a condition of the poll. btw, material girl has brilliant lyrics.:chuckle:

Erotica has the best lyrics!

American Life has some cringe lyrics as does COADF.

Just finished listening to Rebel Heart again to give it a second thought. Taking away 4 glorious songs (Ghosttown, Devil Pray, Wash all over me, Heartbreak City and Living for Love) amazing how many shitty songs she delivered this time!!! ūüė®ūüėĒ

This poll makes me want to cry. :gross:  Like a Virgin is one of the best pop albums ever with lyrics that are memorable and real and I don't care what anyone says - I love MDNA.  It has some of her most poignant and personal songs on it. 

Bedtime stories, Erotica, Music and AL are up there lyrically for me. As cringe worthy as the AL lyrics are, I connect deeply with them for some reason.

weakest I'd say would be MDNA.0

Strongest: RH

Weakest: COADF

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

Erotica strongest

MDNA weakest

3 hours ago, M_Sinner said:

Strongest: EROTICA duhh

Weakest: MDNA

You two definitely get it ūüĎćūüėɬ†

1 hour ago, jazzyjan said:

This poll makes me want to cry. :gross:  Like a Virgin is one of the best pop albums ever with lyrics that are memorable and real and I don't care what anyone says - I love MDNA.  It has some of her most poignant and personal songs on it. 

I'm with you on this one.  I can't vote.  Every album has some beautiful songs, lyrically.  And they all have a few weak ones.  She's a master at writing some of the best lyrics, IMO.  To me, some of the best and most personal have been from MDNA & Rebel Heart (but they both had more songs than previous albums).  Not an easy poll....for me!!

1 hour ago, Brasileiro said:

Just finished listening to Rebel Heart again to give it a second thought. Taking away 4 glorious songs (Ghosttown, Devil Pray, Wash all over me, Heartbreak City and Living for Love) amazing how many shitty songs she delivered this time!!! ūüė®ūüėĒ

Post reported. Sorry, no excuse for such SHITTY attitude. 

And by the way, @Brasileiro, that is actually FIVE fucking songs you listed there, and NOT four. You can't even fucking count, it shows how dumb you are and Madonna's career would be better without a "fan" like this. 

Wow, I felt so good. 

Like a virgin has the strongest lyrics look at Material girl for example it quoted Karl Marx. The whole album has  a anti capitalism theme, its so underrated tbh 

FB_IMG_1489290730835.jpg

19 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Post reported. Sorry, no excuse for such SHITTY attitude. 

And by the way, @Brasileiro, that is actually FIVE fucking songs you listed there, and NOT four. You can't even fucking count, it shows how dumb you are and Madonna's career would be better without a "fan" like this. 

Wow, I felt so good. 

I know you're mad at me but I still find you funny, :lol:

Knowing the age of those who voted would be quite telling - I agree with @jazzyjan, to see LAV being a close top weakest lyrically is ... WHOA! Really? :blink:

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Like a virgin has the strongest lyrics look at Material girl for example it quoted Karl Marx. The whole album has  a anti capitalism theme, its so underrated tbh 

FB_IMG_1489290730835.jpg

:lol:

Love you Robin. And with Rimbaud as avatar pic, you are simply King of Life in this forum