MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sky Fits Heaven

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. M's stronger studio albums lyrically?

2. 2. M's weaker studio albums lyrically?

3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Actually, I think "Candy Shop" is really quite clever.

I liked CS since the beginning, since the demo that ended not being a demo at all  

And I think that Spanish Lesson is much a clever and interesting song than people give credit to. 

Strongest: LaP, Erotica, Ray of Light, Music, AL, RH (with some exceptions) 

Weakest: Madonna, Hard Candy, MDNA

21 hours ago, Pedro said:

I liked CS since the beginning, since the demo that ended not being a demo at all  

And I think that Spanish Lesson is much a clever and interesting song than people give credit to. 

My interpretation is that it was the demo that leaked and they just didn't bother to fix it. Even the S&S version is a vast improvement. It's just Pharrell at his worst (compare it to, say, "She's Not Me," "Beat Goes On," or "Give It 2 Me"). I do think the hook is strong. Maybe I'd be able to tolerate the absolutely idiotic, embarrassing lyrics if the vocals and production were better. Imagine Madonna singing it in 1991. I mean, she just wouldn't sing those words, but if she did, the delivery would have been so much different/better.

2 hours ago, vocalism said:

My interpretation is that it was the demo that leaked and they just didn't bother to fix it. Even the S&S version is a vast improvement. It's just Pharrell at his worst (compare it to, say, "She's Not Me," "Beat Goes On," or "Give It 2 Me"). I do think the hook is strong. Maybe I'd be able to tolerate the absolutely idiotic, embarrassing lyrics if the vocals and production were better. Imagine Madonna singing it in 1991. I mean, she just wouldn't sing those words, but if she did, the delivery would have been so much different/better.

Yeah, I really like Pharrell's work and even though I do like CS in every incarnation, I totally get what you are saying, even more when you think that she wanted CS album version to be a single (don't remember if she wanted it to be the 1st). 

Erotica strongest

MDNA weakest

Strongest: Erotica, so many layers.

Weakest: The First Album. There were no layers, no irony, in contrast to the rest of her catalogue. The first album was just, simple, great, pop songs.

1 hour ago, eroticerotic said:

Strongest: Erotica, so many layers.

Weakest: The First Album. There were no layers, no irony, in contrast to the rest of her catalogue. The first album was just, simple, great, pop songs.

You are completely correct regarding the "lyrical content"  of this question.  The first album is magnificent and a pop classic but the songs are great pop songs without any layers or separate meanings.  All the songs were just self explanatory. Well apart from Burning up - as an adult the lyrics take on a different meaning to that of a child when I first heard it.  :lol:  That is not an insult to this great album as it is one of the best debut albums ever and holds up in every way.  Just liked your point about the lyrics in relation to this poll. 

STRONGEST:
Like A Prayer
Erotica
Ray Of Light
Rebel Heart

WEAKEST:
Music
American Life
Confessions On A Dance Floor
MDNA