Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sky Fits Heaven

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?  

145 members have voted

  1. 1. M's stronger studio albums lyrically?

  2. 2. M's weaker studio albums lyrically?



Recommended Posts

Ray of Light and American Life are the strongest lyrically to me. I'm not sure about the weakest. Maybe MDNA. I can't relate to that album that much but it is fun to play sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 7:47 AM, dollhouse said:

Erotica has the best lyrics!

American Life has some cringe lyrics as does COADF.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a subjective topic where everyone is going to have wildly different opinions  

I voted for every album from her debut through Ray of Light as having the best lyrics combined with a cohesive sound and production. Whereas I personally believe, her lyrics got clunkier and lazier from American Life onward. With MDNA being worst offender. And Rebel Heart being a return to lyrical form. 

Songs like American Life, Nobody Knows Me, Push, I Love New York, Candy Shop, Turn Up The Radio, & Superstar are truly among some of the worst lyrical moments of her career, in my opinion. 

While Confessions is my 3rd favorite album from her, lyrically, it's nothing special. It's the imagery, performances,  and the way she DELIVERED the songs from from this album that sold it. Same with American Life and even Music to some extent. And that's the beauty of Madonna. This is why MDNA was such an overall disappointment for so many. Not only was it lyrically void, the "packaging" didn't save it the way it did previous albums. 

Thankfully, Rebel Heart was a return to form on EVERY single level and had some of her best lyrics since ROL. With some of her best melodies since Bedtime Stories. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

:lmao:I also voted Ray of light as the weakest but in reality I love it with a passion as I do most of her albums.  The same as you, sick of it being described as the album Madonna should always look to for inspiration and replicate. She is more than one album and it is ONE of her many masterpieces.  She has delivered such great albums and music for years. Saved me having to pick a weak album by going with that crazy reasoning. 

DWrI2JY.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So which one had the better lyrics Turn Up The Radio or Cherish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dollhouse said:

So which one had the better lyrics Turn Up The Radio or Cherish?

The production and vocals on Cherish give the lyrics more meaning than the flat, cold lyrics and production of TUTR. 

That being said, I really like TUTR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

The production and vocals on Cherish give the lyrics more meaning than the flat, cold lyrics and production of TUTR. 

That being said, I really like TUTR. 

are you saying TUTR has better lyrics even you don't like the song as much as Cherish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

are you saying TUTR has better lyrics even you don't like the song as much as Cherish?

 No, I should've been more clear. 

Cherish is the superior song lyrically. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2017 at 6:12 AM, karbatal said:

Erotica strongest

MDNA weakest

Same here. The differences are abysmal :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked three for each. 

BEST: LIKE A PRAYER, EROTICA, BEDTIME STORIES. I think this is hands down her peak period creatively, lyrically, and visually. It was sophisticated, political, and personal, but still had a sense of humor.

WORST: AMERICAN LIFE, CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR, HARD CANDY.

I think there's a difference between simple and bad. So M's early albums get a pass from me. Even the lyrics to LAV and MG are pretty great. I also think it's interesting that ROL is winning the best poll. I certainly wouldn't put it on the worst list, but I think this was the era where M's lyrics started to decline. It's obviously a personal, important album for her (and I love the album as a whole), but the "spirituality" really resulted in a lot of new-age cliches, which got even worse and self-important on AL and COADF, which is why those two albums got my worst vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vocalism said:

I picked three for each. 

BEST: LIKE A PRAYER, EROTICA, BEDTIME STORIES. I think this is hands down her peak period creatively, lyrically, and visually. It was sophisticated, political, and personal, but still had a sense of humor.

WORST: AMERICAN LIFE, CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR, HARD CANDY.

I think there's a difference between simple and bad. So M's early albums get a pass from me. Even the lyrics to LAV and MG are pretty great. I also think it's interesting that ROL is winning the best poll. I certainly wouldn't put it on the worst list, but I think this was the era where M's lyrics started to decline. It's obviously a personal, important album for her (and I love the album as a whole), but the "spirituality" really resulted in a lot of new-age cliches, which got even worse and self-important on AL and COADF, which is why those two albums got my worst vote. 

You're in the ballpark, but I pick these.

HC is a lot of simple fun for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ "Candy Shop," "4 Minutes" and "Spanish Lesson" are the pits. What issues do you have with the lyrics on LAP? TDDUP, PTT, OF, and SE alone make it one of her best lyrically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am i the only one who thinks Music is her strongest album?. There is something about that album and era that resonates more with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I think "Candy Shop" is really quite clever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Actually, I think "Candy Shop" is really quite clever.

I liked CS since the beginning, since the demo that ended not being a demo at all  

And I think that Spanish Lesson is much a clever and interesting song than people give credit to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongest: LaP, Erotica, Ray of Light, Music, AL, RH (with some exceptions) 

Weakest: Madonna, Hard Candy, MDNA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, Pedro said:

I liked CS since the beginning, since the demo that ended not being a demo at all  

And I think that Spanish Lesson is much a clever and interesting song than people give credit to. 

My interpretation is that it was the demo that leaked and they just didn't bother to fix it. Even the S&S version is a vast improvement. It's just Pharrell at his worst (compare it to, say, "She's Not Me," "Beat Goes On," or "Give It 2 Me"). I do think the hook is strong. Maybe I'd be able to tolerate the absolutely idiotic, embarrassing lyrics if the vocals and production were better. Imagine Madonna singing it in 1991. I mean, she just wouldn't sing those words, but if she did, the delivery would have been so much different/better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vocalism said:

 

My interpretation is that it was the demo that leaked and they just didn't bother to fix it. Even the S&S version is a vast improvement. It's just Pharrell at his worst (compare it to, say, "She's Not Me," "Beat Goes On," or "Give It 2 Me"). I do think the hook is strong. Maybe I'd be able to tolerate the absolutely idiotic, embarrassing lyrics if the vocals and production were better. Imagine Madonna singing it in 1991. I mean, she just wouldn't sing those words, but if she did, the delivery would have been so much different/better.

Yeah, I really like Pharrell's work and even though I do like CS in every incarnation, I totally get what you are saying, even more when you think that she wanted CS album version to be a single (don't remember if she wanted it to be the 1st). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erotica strongest

MDNA weakest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongest: Erotica, so many layers.

Weakest: The First Album. There were no layers, no irony, in contrast to the rest of her catalogue. The first album was just, simple, great, pop songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eroticerotic said:

Strongest: Erotica, so many layers.

Weakest: The First Album. There were no layers, no irony, in contrast to the rest of her catalogue. The first album was just, simple, great, pop songs.

You are completely correct regarding the "lyrical content"  of this question.  The first album is magnificent and a pop classic but the songs are great pop songs without any layers or separate meanings.  All the songs were just self explanatory. Well apart from Burning up - as an adult the lyrics take on a different meaning to that of a child when I first heard it.  :lol:  That is not an insult to this great album as it is one of the best debut albums ever and holds up in every way.  Just liked your point about the lyrics in relation to this poll. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STRONGEST:
Like A Prayer
Erotica
Ray Of Light
Rebel Heart

WEAKEST:
Music
American Life
Confessions On A Dance Floor
MDNA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×