MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sky Fits Heaven

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?

M's stronger & weaker studio albums lyrically?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. M's stronger studio albums lyrically?

2. 2. M's weaker studio albums lyrically?

yeah, Jimmy Jimmy is a lyrical genious.

51 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

:rotfl:

8 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

I love your posts.  :clap::clap::clap:

:kiss2: :brenspin:

4 hours ago, dollhouse said:

:chuckle:

Strongest: Like A Prayer, Erotica and Rebel Heart.

I will always regard "Express Yourself" as the perfect pop song: catchy, relatable lyrics with something shockingly smart to say. All the other songs hold up on that record too. Rebel Heart has some real understated gems too: the title track, "Inside Out" and "Messiah" all spring to mind, but the singles are also very good (yes, including "BiM" - it's playful and funny).

Weakest: Confessions on a Dancefloor.

It's a fantastic record in most respects, but lyrically it feels like she pulls her punches and is a little vague. Few iconic lines except for "Like It Or Not". And "I Love New York" still makes me cringe years later. It seems lazy, rather than playful/experimental like "Impressive Instant".

Lyrically I think Erotica is one of her most creative and beautiful albums, it's so poetic almost prose-like.

Erotica and Secret Garden come to mind

"Only the one that hurts you can make you feel better Only the one that inflicts pain can take it away"

"If I take you from behind Push myself into your mind When you least expect it Will you try and reject it"

"Once you put your hand in the flame You can never be the same There's a certain satisfaction In a little bit of pain I can see you understand I can tell that you're the same If you're afraid, well rise above I only hurt the ones I love"

"In my secret garden, I still believe after all I still believe and I fall You plant the seed and I'll watch it grow I wonder when I'll start to show I wonder if I'll ever know Where my place is Where my face is"

21 hours ago, material_boy said:

This is hard. I don't really think about lyrics on an album-wide basis, since each track is its own work.

"American Life" immediately came to mind for both her best and worst. The "AL" rap is embarrassing and the juvenile rhyme scheme on "Nobody Knows Me" is just lazy. But "X-Static Process" is one of the most layered lyrical pieces of her career. It can be heard so many different ways -- Is it a commentary on fame? Is she having an existential crisis or some sort of breakdown? Is she realizing, even so early in her marriage, that Guy is a mistake? I hear something new every time I play this song. It's a masterwork.

"Like a Prayer," "Erotica" and "Ray of Light" are probably her most consistently strong lyrically. "Madonna," "Hard Candy" and "MDNA" among her weakest.

:rolleyes: This lazy ass excuse has got to be retired from Madonna fandom. Fans used to throw this at other fans who didn't like "Erotica" back when I started joining online forums. Then, after "AL" flopped, fans threw it at fans who didn't like that album. Now it's trotted out for "MDNA" and "RH." Can't we just accept other fans' opinions on face value instead of slandering those who don't agree with us?

You are amazing!

Best: Erotica, Like a Prayer, Ray of Light

Worst: IMO Hard Candy I guess? Though Miles Away, Voices, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You are really great lyrically. 

I agree that some albums contain her best and worst lyrics, like AL. Title track, great theme, poorly executed lyrically imo (for M.) But Intervention, X-static, Easy Ride, are SO quality. 

2 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Strongest: Like A Prayer, Erotica and Rebel Heart.

I will always regard "Express Yourself" as the perfect pop song: catchy, relatable lyrics with something shockingly smart to say. All the other songs hold up on that record too. Rebel Heart has some real understated gems too: the title track, "Inside Out" and "Messiah" all spring to mind, but the singles are also very good (yes, including "BiM" - it's playful and funny).

Weakest: Confessions on a Dancefloor.

It's a fantastic record in most respects, but lyrically it feels like she pulls her punches and is a little vague. Few iconic lines except for "Like It Or Not". And "I Love New York" still makes me cringe years later. It seems lazy, rather than playful/experimental like "Impressive Instant".

+1

COADF was a bit of a miss-step. Just like AL.

Love this thread! - I totally had to vote ROL, LAP and Erotica (which is great cause I guess I never realized that it was lyrically an amazing album - until I thought about it). MDNA will always be the weakest (TUTR, Superstar, BIRTHDAY SONG!) 

Ray of Light and American Life are the strongest lyrically to me. I'm not sure about the weakest. Maybe MDNA. I can't relate to that album that much but it is fun to play sometimes. 

On 3/15/2017 at 7:47 AM, dollhouse said:

Erotica has the best lyrics!

American Life has some cringe lyrics as does COADF.

Agreed.

This is such a subjective topic where everyone is going to have wildly different opinions  

I voted for every album from her debut through Ray of Light as having the best lyrics combined with a cohesive sound and production. Whereas I personally believe, her lyrics got clunkier and lazier from American Life onward. With MDNA being worst offender. And Rebel Heart being a return to lyrical form. 

Songs like American Life, Nobody Knows Me, Push, I Love New York, Candy Shop, Turn Up The Radio, & Superstar are truly among some of the worst lyrical moments of her career, in my opinion. 

While Confessions is my 3rd favorite album from her, lyrically, it's nothing special. It's the imagery, performances,  and the way she DELIVERED the songs from from this album that sold it. Same with American Life and even Music to some extent. And that's the beauty of Madonna. This is why MDNA was such an overall disappointment for so many. Not only was it lyrically void, the "packaging" didn't save it the way it did previous albums. 

Thankfully, Rebel Heart was a return to form on EVERY single level and had some of her best lyrics since ROL. With some of her best melodies since Bedtime Stories. 

19 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

^ :lmao:I also voted Ray of light as the weakest but in reality I love it with a passion as I do most of her albums.  The same as you, sick of it being described as the album Madonna should always look to for inspiration and replicate. She is more than one album and it is ONE of her many masterpieces.  She has delivered such great albums and music for years. Saved me having to pick a weak album by going with that crazy reasoning. 

DWrI2JY.gif

So which one had the better lyrics Turn Up The Radio or Cherish?

2 hours ago, dollhouse said:

So which one had the better lyrics Turn Up The Radio or Cherish?

The production and vocals on Cherish give the lyrics more meaning than the flat, cold lyrics and production of TUTR. 

That being said, I really like TUTR. 

24 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

The production and vocals on Cherish give the lyrics more meaning than the flat, cold lyrics and production of TUTR. 

That being said, I really like TUTR. 

are you saying TUTR has better lyrics even you don't like the song as much as Cherish?

1 hour ago, dollhouse said:

are you saying TUTR has better lyrics even you don't like the song as much as Cherish?

No, I should've been more clear. 

Cherish is the superior song lyrically. ūüėä

On 15/03/2017 at 6:12 AM, karbatal said:

Erotica strongest

MDNA weakest

Same here. The differences are abysmal :o

I picked three for each. 

BEST: LIKE A PRAYER, EROTICA, BEDTIME STORIES. I think this is hands down her peak period creatively, lyrically, and visually. It was sophisticated, political, and personal, but still had a sense of humor.

WORST: AMERICAN LIFE, CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR, HARD CANDY.

I think there's a difference between simple and bad. So M's early albums get a pass from me. Even the lyrics to LAV and MG are pretty great. I also think it's interesting that ROL is winning the best poll. I certainly wouldn't put it on the worst list, but I think this was the era where M's lyrics started to decline. It's obviously a personal, important album for her (and I love the album as a whole), but the "spirituality" really resulted in a lot of new-age cliches, which got even worse and self-important on AL and COADF, which is why those two albums got my worst vote. 

15 hours ago, vocalism said:

I picked three for each. 

BEST: LIKE A PRAYER, EROTICA, BEDTIME STORIES. I think this is hands down her peak period creatively, lyrically, and visually. It was sophisticated, political, and personal, but still had a sense of humor.

WORST: AMERICAN LIFE, CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR, HARD CANDY.

I think there's a difference between simple and bad. So M's early albums get a pass from me. Even the lyrics to LAV and MG are pretty great. I also think it's interesting that ROL is winning the best poll. I certainly wouldn't put it on the worst list, but I think this was the era where M's lyrics started to decline. It's obviously a personal, important album for her (and I love the album as a whole), but the "spirituality" really resulted in a lot of new-age cliches, which got even worse and self-important on AL and COADF, which is why those two albums got my worst vote. 

You're in the ballpark, but I pick these.

HC is a lot of simple fun for me.

^ "Candy Shop," "4 Minutes" and "Spanish Lesson" are the pits. What issues do you have with the lyrics on LAP? TDDUP, PTT, OF, and SE alone make it one of her best lyrically. 

Am i the only one who thinks Music is her strongest album?. There is something about that album and era that resonates more with me.